Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any engineers know why the metal dangerously failed on DIana trigger

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Pete please post a pic.
    I would if I could get a decent clear close up photo of it but it's sheared in the same place as the part in the photo on the Dianawerk website.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

You said the trigger and piston was fitted to another gun, so you fitted second hand parts from another gun, parts that were not specifically designed for that gun, (a Diana trigger and piston fitted into a Chinese xs208, they might fit that gun but wasn't made for it) with that info I would say the parts were over stressed in the xs208, yes they might have worked faultlessly but it was dumb luck you put them in another gun before it went bang in the xs.
    Second hand parts used in another gun (possibly over stressed) combined with what looks like a cast part (cast parts are good in compression but not tension)
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    I would if I could get a decent clear close up photo of it but it's sheared in the same place as the part in the photo on the Dianawerk website.

Pete
    Even a poor pic would do it's looking like it's not a one off.

Looking a bit depressing for DIana fans like me.
    This part should not break even if missused.
    If DIana don't sort this to my satisfaction I might have to start fitting T01/5 triggers

Quote Originally Posted by airgunnut View Post
    You said the trigger and piston was fitted to another gun, so you fitted second hand parts from another gun, parts that were not specifically designed for that gun, (a Diana trigger and piston fitted into a Chinese xs208, they might fit that gun but wasn't made for it) with that info I would say the parts were over stressed in the xs208, yes they might have worked faultlessly but it was dumb luck you put them in another gun before it went bang in the xs.
    Second hand parts used in another gun (possibly over stressed) combined with what looks like a cast part (cast parts are good in compression but not tension)
    The T06 conversion kit was purchased brand new, the XS208 is a damn good copy of the Diana 34, I wouldn't have said that anything was under any stress considering I'm using the same parts including the tuning kit in the Diana 34, so what would have happened if said kit had been fitted straight into the 34 from new, would they have been under stress then, there is hardly any difference between the two rifles.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

The T06 conversion kit was purchased brand new, the XS208 is a damn good copy of the Diana 34, I wouldn't have said that anything was under any stress considering I'm using the same parts including the tuning kit in the Diana 34, so what would have happened if said kit had been fitted straight into the 34 from new, would they have been under stress then, there is hardly any difference between the two rifles.

Pete
    Tell it to the judge Pete

Quote Originally Posted by derekj View Post
    Tell it to the judge Pete
    Not worried either way, just remembered that the rifle was only doing 9ftp so hardly under any stress, I've just ordered the new bit from Chambers, so that'll be fitted during the week.

Pete

Not worried either way, just remembered that the rifle was only doing 9ftp so hardly under any stress, I've just ordered the new bit from Chambers, so that'll be fitted during the week.

Pete
    Just looked on chambers and that part is now out of stock, I wonder how many they have sold.
    It might be worth sending your broken part to Diana.

An engineer would probably say that nothing less than a machined part is up to the job, considering the implications of failure. But, that sort of thing is undoubtedly cheaper to cast... so thus it is made.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

xbow is offline "Right a bit, left a bit............"
    Making a part like that by casting is cheap and may well be good enough most times. If they have enough failures though they may decide to machine or even drop forge them. Sadly many parts are made down to a price to keep products affordable or increase profits depending on your point of view!
    We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.
    Rudeness is the weak mans imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer.

If I don’t reply to your comments it’s probably because you’re on my Ignore list.

First thing to do is to design out the 90 degree neck. That's asking for trouble.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

It might be worth sending your broken part to Diana.
    What's the point Barry, they will only have the Weihrauch attitude and not do anything about it, the Germans don't like admitting their products have problems and will brush it under the carpet until the dust settles and they will change the offending item saying it's an upgrade at a later date, unless someone in the states gets hurt by one going off and then a massive law suit appears against them.

Pete

What's the point Barry, they will only have the Weihrauch attitude and not do anything about it, the Germans don't like admitting their products have problems and will brush it under the carpet until the dust settles and they will change the offending item saying it's an upgrade at a later date, unless someone in the states gets hurt by one going off and then a massive law suit appears against them.

Pete
    Its your decision of course Pete but I want Diana to know even if they don't respond as I can no longer recommend their brand with this suspect part until I think its safe.

You havent got a t01 52 piston going spare have you

Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer View Post
    Detonation.
    Sounds right to me.What else would explain a "loud bang" on firing.
    If it was a straight forward failure under the strain of holding the piston back then it should make no more noise than a standard trigger release.
    Couldn't be detonation. Wouldn't the part would be in a down position after firing and not in contact with the piston stem when it flew back. The comp. tube would also have been caught by the beartrap if it flew back far enough to hit the trigger mechanism. The bang was probably the part snapping.

Its your decision of course Pete but I want Diana to know even if they don't respond as I can no longer recommend their brand with this suspect part until I think its safe.

You havent got a t01 52 piston going spare have you
    Nope sorry mate, never had a 52, I've got a nice 45 .22 barrel going spare if you're interested

I'll see if I can get a photo of the sear during the week, I suppose I could just drop them an Email letting them know what's happened.

Pete

I would say that is a laser sintered component. It could of done with a radius in the corner. I guess Diana must of tested this new manufacturing process to ensure adequate strength of the material, obviously something's gone wrong, either bad batch or the flawed design has shown it's self up over time.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer