Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Any engineers know why the metal dangerously failed on DIana trigger

and just because chambers has none left does not mean they have sold "loads" of the parts involved.

they may only have carried 1 or 2 of most parts as stock level.
    Last edited by bighit; 07-02-2017 at 05:40 PM.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    and just because chambers has none left does not mean they have sold "loads" of the parts involved.

they may only have carried 1 or 2 of most parts as stock level.
    What I said was

(Is there anyone friendly enough with chambers to find out how many of these parts have been sold over the last five years?)

I am guessing that Chambers keep records for past year's, even then there could be another expiation other than a broken part but be interesting

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    To be honest, if I hadn't have seen this thread then I probably wouldn't have even mentioned what had happened, because of what I did slamming the barrel shut more fiercely than normal, could that have been classed as "rough handling" which could have caused the failure or could it have even been classed as some form of "drop test" which we all know all guns have to go through to be classed as safe (didn't Walther have this problem with the LGV in it's early days?) but because my gun went off due to mechanical failure and not a design fault or adjustment issue, is it classed as the same thing, [...]
    I been thinking about this Pete, it doesn't sound like anything you've done - unless there's some reason why the action of swinging the barrel shut could have been pulling forward on the piston...

Was there possibly a mismatch of parts? I notice the '45 cocking arm (and barrel) have different part numbers to the 34 series... could your combination of parts have resulted in a shorter throw to the cocking arm?

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    What I said was

(Is there anyone friendly enough with chambers to find out how many of these parts have been sold over the last five years?)

I am guessing that Chambers keep records for past year's, even then there could be another expiation other than a broken part but be interesting
    why not ask your self then?

and they could have been sold for any number of reasons other than breaking. for example a shed tuner buying a spare one in case his home tuning and polishing of the sear went wrong.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooti McNote View Post
    I been thinking about this Pete, it doesn't sound like anything you've done - unless there's some reason why the action of swinging the barrel shut could have been pulling forward on the piston...

Was there possibly a mismatch of parts? I notice the '45 cocking arm (and barrel) have different part numbers to the 34 series... could your combination of parts have resulted in a shorter throw to the cocking arm?
    You're right about the different cocking arms but I used the 34's arm on the 45 breech block, not sure if the hole in the 45's breech block that the linkage pin goes into is slightly more forward than the 34's which could have caused the cocking arm to pull the piston off the sear, I'll have to have a look.

The new sear turned up today from Chambers, I took a few photo's but because our camera is crap I just can't get a decent clear close up of the broken sear.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Modski66 View Post
    Shame that the pictures don't show the fracture faces, but my first thought is the lack of a radius in the corner where the crack appears to have initiated. There will be a high stress concentration in that area, and sharp corners don't get on well under high stress loads. Look up Liberty ships in WW2 and the original Comet aircraft design.
    The part will obviously need to be hardened to stop the sear face wearing away, so any breakage on components of this type will be a brittle fracture.
    Putting it bluntly, it's a design fault...
    The radius thing mentioned was the first thing I noticed too!

ATB, ED

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    I suppose it could be just a just small batch of defect parts as if the design was faulty how could the older T06 trigger's take this kind of cranking up and never hear of a breakage
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/18447...Vortek+wire%29

Pics please.

Post up a clear macro picture of both break faces please.

I can ask one of the metallurgy experts at work.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by westy306 View Post
    Post up a clear macro picture of both break faces please.

I can ask one of the metallurgy experts at work.
    You won't get one from me as I can't even get the damn thing in focus with our crappy camera.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in