Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Happy 10th Anniversary to the BBS Collectors Section

Just like to add my own thanks and appreciation to all those who maintain or contribute to this amazing site.

Regards
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    A well deserved compliment, which I thoroughly applaud.

As another new member, many thanks to all those who have so kindly assisted me over the past month. I have entered a steep learning curve about the technical aspects of air weaponry.

Moreover, the site and its enthusiasts have caused me to begin a rather worrying collection habit: two Webley Mk3s so far and - I hope - a 1922 Standard BSA next week, to be added to my existing 1939 Standard, now being serviced.

I have further purchases in mind but I also intend to use my newly acquired rifles.

Moreover, my enthusiasm has brought a friend into the collection habit: he too has bought a Mk3 and is looking to purchase a 1920s Standard BSA.

We need collectors, so as to keep this magnificent heritage alive for future generations.

I have also found there to be rather a lot of closet collectors on the main site - one has merely to mention an FWB Sport or Original 45 and they all appear out from the ether.

I hope there are some collectors' events; I would be keen to attend and meet fellow enthusiasts.

Rgds to all
    Andrew.
    Andrew just one teeny point of collectables (BBS) etiquette - we don't use the word 'weaponry' in relation to airguns, which are many things, but definitely not weapons (except perhaps from a squirrel's POV!).

You are so right about the importance of new collectors joining the fold, and for this reason you and your friend are especially welcome.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    I think you just gave yourself a round of applause, Gareth. (Richly deserved if so - you and now Mick have nurtured the great spirit of the place to perfection.)
    There's absolutely no need to thank me, Danny.

I feel it's both an honour and privilege to be able to work on behalf of the members of this forum.

The collectors section is a great credit to its users as it is such an informative and pleasant place to visit --- you should all be congratulating yourselves for this.

I'd just like to thank Mr Ramsbottom for constantly providing this forum free of charge for all our benefit --- apparently on some forums you're expected to pay to post.

Well done gentlemen.

All the best Mick

I stand humbled!

Danny, thank you for your observation and I shall try to remember to use a substitute for the word 'weaponry', so as not to circumvent the collectables' site etiquette! I recall my English master often insisted that one should endeavour to use alternative words rather than the same repetitively and, given the word 'weapon' translates as a device employed to inflict physical damage (in this case, garden pests), I did not consider it might transgress conduct.

However, I am a stickler for tradition and shall try to avoid this term.

Humorously, I am reminded of the late WSC's remarks when told not to finish a sentence with a preposition: "This is a nonsense up with which I shall not put!"

Thank you for all your advice on this site, since I joined it about five weeks ago; your BSA collectors' site is truly first class.

Kind rgds
    A

Where would we be without

The generosity of JR Ramsbottom and the unpaid hours that the Mods put in?

I thank you.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Airsporterman View Post

Bump! - because it's worth it!
    Isn't it just, so let's do the same again.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

I would like to take this opportunity to show my gratitude and appreciation of the AirgunBBS Forum overall and express my thanks for this section on it's 10 yeas anniversary and also to all of those who assist in the process of making it happen and to our sponsor JSRamsbottom.
    Many, many thanks, folks,
    Cheers, Graeme

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post

It's my favouritest bit of the forum!!

John
    Yep, tiz the bestest, so let me give this thread a bit of a bumpette.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Another vote of thanks from me too! This is the nicest, most well mannered section of the lot.

I have looked in the Non Airgun Related section a few times - but it made me very grumpy, the very antithesis of here...

This thread may be annoyingly self-congratulatory to some people, but if you can't do it once a decade, when can you do it?!

I just wanted to point out to some of our newer members why BBS collectables is so special - mainly because of the regular attendance of many of the world's biggest airgun collectors and authors, who I'm guessing are attracted to its fast-moving discussion.

Obviously some threads will be more of interest than others, but there are enough of them to make regular visits worthwhile. And as always with internet chat forums, there are several times more people reading than posting...

To my knowledge, regular visitors include at least UK-based three academic professors, major airgun collectors with airguns worth millions of pounds/dollars between them, the authors of most of the recent books on vintage airguns, and virtually all of the current writers on the subject. Where experts don't post themselves, they're in touch with those who do, so their knowledge is available when needed.

Together with these illustrious visitors are numerous other collectors and enthusiasts, of varying levels of commitment to the hobby, many of us who have known each other for years in different ways - by meeting in person, speaking on the 'phone, regular or occasional emails, buying, selling or swapping airguns, and so on.

In a way, what you see posted in collectables is the tip of the iceberg in terms of vintage airgun activity!

There are several other forums that focus on vintage collectables, which are home to other enthusiasts and some people post on more than one forum. They all have their own character and add to the 'diversity of the global vintage airgun conversation'.

They are important because it seems to be in the nature of the web that nothing lasts forever, and if this particular venue becomes inaccessible for some reason, we can all just decamp to one of the others! So there's durability in numbers.

When some of our older members started out, they found each other through adverts in newsletters or magazines, writing long letters, sometimes across vast distances with weeks or months between letters or expensive transatlantic phone calls. They know better than anyone how amazing it is that we can communicate instantly now, and that large communities of like-minded enthusiasts can find each other quickly and co-exist happily in 'cyberspace'.

I don't know what the next innovation will be in the vintage airgun world. Maybe virtual reality headsets will mean we can hold massive 'virtual' global conferences or 'virtual' airgun fairs?! But for now I'm very happy with what we've got.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Danny, you put it perfectly . Atb: Gareth.

Excellent comments, Garvin

Danny, wonderful post and most informative too. I had no idea we had such a prestigious following - a tribute to the site, it moderators and owner.

As previously reflected, the enthusiasts here are keeping a heritage going and bringing in new collectors.

Tomorrow, I hope, I am picking up a 1922 BSA Standard - doing over 11.1ft/lb (I think it was) - and all because I discovered this site on the internet, which has rediscovered for me my enthusiasm for air rifles. I have little interest in the pcp equivalents: lifeless, as someone here termed them. Meanwhile, it is remarkable to think that a rifle made nearly 100 years ago is still being used. What splendid engineering in those days, which put to shame some of the rubbish that emerged in later decades.

What a pity we have yet to find a manufacturer to replace Eley Wasp, for the old .22 barrels.

I hope I might meet some of the enthusiasts here, one of these days - and not least, your goodself and Ed.

Rgds
    Andrew.

jubilee 45 Commemorate

Still get a lot of pleasure from reading the posts, My thanks to everyone who have sent them in. Readers all know that Garvin is a Legend.
    My wife a while ago got me to START to clear the loft to show my intent (Love)I packed 7/8 in one parcel and sent them for auction...BIG mistake even though it pleased the wife

The Prices I got made me weep: confused:

If I could turn back the clock it would be never sell a job lot but take your time and sell them on the COLLECTERS FORUM

The moral of the story is take your time! in my case, what has taken me over 35 years to accumulate should not be sold quickly. Thank goodness still got 2/3 hidden away

Thanks to the admin. For Good Management of the site
    abewilson.
    ''The earth is but one country and mankind its citizens''
    Baha'u'llah 1817-1892.

Quote Originally Posted by abewilson View Post
    Still get a lot of pleasure from reading the posts, My thanks to everyone who have sent them in. Readers all know that Garvin is a Legend.
    My wife a while ago got me to START to clear the loft to show my intent (Love)I packed 7/8 in one parcel and sent them for auction...BIG mistake even though it pleased the wife

The Prices I got made me weep: confused:

If I could turn back the clock it would be never sell a job lot but take your time and sell them on the COLLECTERS FORUM

The moral of the story is take your time! in my case, what has taken me over 35 years to accumulate should not be sold quickly. Thank goodness still got 2/3 hidden away

Thanks to the admin. For Good Management of the site

Always keep your best ones back Abe

You sell a few and get a pile of cash.
    Which is not very interesting and quite useless for playing with.