Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HW99s

HW99s

Well, my dad decided to buy a brand new HW99s in .177 and straight out the box we took it out for a test to see what all the fuss is about how good this rifle is ?
    I am well aware of HW99 galling issues but advised my dad that not to worry as the latest models have the cocking lever mod so don't worry ,
    Fitted a scope started zeroing , then yes accurate enough ..... but !
    It's galling ! After 20 shots ... and boing ! Twang! Cocks and sounds like a pile of Crap! . Cheers Weihrauch!
    All the reviews on YouTube and Airgun magazines rave about how great this little rifle is but why ? do they all fail to mention the awful sound and grinding galling issues that even the latest 99s still suffer with .

So now I've got to strip and tune it for him , I remember reading somewhere about how to solve the galling but can't find the correct thread .
    Anyone help before I take this thing apart ??
    Last edited by macmerc; 04-02-2017 at 11:27 PM.

If its brand new, then return to the dealer you purchased it from.
    Warranty problem.
    Don.

I had this problem the wife's 50s (same gun), the upgraded cocking arm with the delrin insert just moves the problem elsewhere, basically instead of the arm galling on the outside of the cylinder the spring loaded delrin bar just causes the shoe on the arm to gall on the inside of the cylinder instead, I had to cut the spring under the delrin bar down and do a lot of fettling on the shoe on my missus one.

macmerc,

AFAIK, there are two (2) causes for the galling issues.

One is to do with the delrin strip and the pressure it exerts on the cocking shoe ears. Too much pressure, and the cocking shoe ears will gall the inside of the cylinder, along the cocking slot. The 'ears' are a lot of the time in need of de-burring and polishing.

The second is due to the 'knuckle' of the cocking link - if too proud, this will gall the under-side of the cylinder - the delrin strip was there to prevent the 'knuckle' from making contact with the cylinder, and a lot of cases it does this successfully.

In addition, a lot of HWs with the articulated cocking links, have the link joint far too stiff - on my HW99S, you could hardly move the joint It needs good lubrication and exercising - some have opened up the link to loosen the joint by hammering a suitable object gently into the link.

1) The 'partial fix' is removing the far too strong spring from under the delrin strip, followed by correct lubing of the cocking shoe ears and delrin strip.

2) The 'full fix' requires (sometimes) filing down the 'knuckle' of cocking linkage re-profiling of the Delrin strip and polishing/rounding of the cocking shoe ears, followed by correct lubing.

Mine responded to just removing the spring, but I had the 99S tuned recently, so I had the 'full fix' done with it - the 99S is now whisper quiet and silky on cocking and closing, no graunching at all.

Have fun & a good Sunday,

Best regards

Russ

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Now everyone knows my thoughts on the 99 and all HW's BUT why is this problem still going on with this rifle, surely HW should have totally sorted this out by now and before anyone says "they have! they added a bit of plastic to the cocking link" well do they not fully test these things to destruction afterwards to see if it works and the issues are sorted, if I was running HW then I'd be embarrassed to be sending this crap out or do they just not give a toss about the quality of their products anymore or care about what their customer think and want, I take a lot of shit for owning BSA's but I'd rather own them than what is being peddled here, however good it may shoot out the box, if it's going to destroy itself within a tin of pellets going through it then I'm glad I'm a HW free zone.

And people wonder why I steer clear of these things.

Pete
    Last edited by look no hands; 05-02-2017 at 07:58 AM.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

keep the gun and do the mod takes an hour tops. as has been said remove the delrin strip spring its not needed and most of the problem polish the so called ears and remove any edges. lube whilst you have it stripped keep the power low especially if you have .177 and you have the sweetest shooting gun imo that weihrauch make. why deny yourself this wonderful gun for an hours work. all the 5 99,s i have had grinded so no point in swapping the gun and its much better than the 95 imo especially in .177. regards pete

As Russ and Pete say.

Okay, it shouldn't leave the factory like this, but many do.

But it's such an easy fix and, this gun doesn't exhibit average performance, it's a beauty, a real gem. That firing cycle is so refined, in a way that a "full power" lightweight springer really shouldn't behave, and many owners will tell you that they're more accurate and more forgiving than their tuned, heavyweight "superguns". That's why it certainly IS fully deserving of a little fettle.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    As Russ and Pete say.

Okay, it shouldn't leave the factory like this, but many do.

But it's such an easy fix and, this gun doesn't exhibit average performance, it's a beauty, a real gem. That firing cycle is so refined, in a way that a "full power" lightweight springer really shouldn't behave, and many owners will tell you that they're more accurate and more forgiving than their tuned, heavyweight "superguns". That's why it certainly IS fully deserving of a little fettle.
    I totally see where you and all the minions are coming from but this is something that shouldn't be happening with a product from a prestigious German company that has been around for donkey's years, Hatsan maybe, but not HW and it's been going on for years, yes I know we all pull apart our guns and have Nick supply us a tuning kit from Chateau derriere de tin but you shouldn't have to cure a major problem like this, what if you where not mechanically minded and had to have your local gun shop sort the problem, I can't see them doing it for free and if every rifle is doing it then what would be the point in returning it under warranty and have the replacement do the same, I'd just get my money back after the second one, in my eyes it's a poor show from HW, for Christs sake the newer BSA's don't have galling issues and they get the shit ripped out of them all the time on here but it seems fine for people to buy the 99 and put up with this problem, the rifle should be boycotted by Hull cartridge until it's properly sorted.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I think the 99 is very over rated, poorly designed cocking lever, reminds me of the later meteors than that clicked and grinded. I've had several Chinese offerings with articulating levers, smk208, stoeger x20, remmy express, non of which gall or have 'tight' spots etc. The only thing that saves hw is its trigger, otherwise it's no better and sometimes worst than guns half their price.

Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post
    I think the 99 is very over rated, poorly designed cocking lever, reminds me of the later meteors than that clicked and grinded. I've had several Chinese offerings with articulating levers, smk208, stoeger x20, remmy express, non of which gall or have 'tight' spots etc. The only thing that saves hw is its trigger, otherwise it's no better and sometimes worst than guns half their price.
    Exactly my thoughts, although my XS208 is in bits now and the internals where not as well built as the Diana originals (wobbly piston cocking rod) it's never galled and after having the T06 trigger and piston fitted it was really nice to shoot with no issues at all, even the articulated levers on my Mercury's don't click or gall.

Pete

Hello to All,

The below is my personal opinion only :

The way I see it is you can buy the HW99S, put in less than hours work, and are rewarded with a true pocket-rocket, that performs well above its price point.

Or you don't, and buy something else.

Surely the prospective user can choose for themselves ?

IMHO, the HW99S is not over-rated.

I bought one solely to see what the fuss was about, and it is now one of my favourite rifles.

Would I deny myself this superbly performing rifle just because it needed some small amount of work - no I wouldn't.

All of my 'sporting' springers have been fettled, generally to a greater degree, because I like fettling

Yes, the HW99S should come from the factory sorted, but as the fix is straightforward, and can be done by almost anybody, it is not an issue for me.

have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    :
    The way I see it is you can buy the HW99S, put in less than hours work, and are rewarded with a true pocket-rocket, that performs well above its price point.

I bought one solely to see what the fuss was about, and it is now one of my favourite rifles.

Would I deny myself this superbly performing rifle just because it needed some small amount of work - no I wouldn't.

All of my 'sporting' springers have been fettled, generally to a greater degree, because I like fettling

Yes, the HW99S should come from the factory sorted, but as the fix is straightforward, and can be done by almost anybody, it is not an issue for me.
    good post - agreed 100%
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    Hello to All,

The below is my personal opinion only :

have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ
    The point I've been trying to get across Russ, is it shouldn't be coming from the factory with this problem in the first place, however nice the rifle is too shoot, if you bought a prestigious brand car and it had a known fault that made it keep conking out on you, would you put up with it? and said car maker was still rolling them off the production line with the same problem then I'm sure people wouldn't put up with it, even if it was a quick fix, we as consumers shouldn't have to put up with these problems and the trouble is if HW know that shed tuners are going to cure THEIR inability to make something decent then they will continue to turn out this dross, it needs the buying public to kick down either Hull cartridges door or HW's and tell them to sort it fully.

This isn't anything to do with performance, it's to do with reliability.

Pete

Pete,

I fully understand where you are coming from

The difference is that the premium car has a premium price tag.

The HW99S, seem to go for ca. £230 - not a low price, but not a high one either.

My HW99S was bought second-hand, and cost £160.

For me, even at £230, I would not find it an issue to do a simple fix to the rifle if it resulted in such a superbly performing package.

I have an HW95 Super Match, that was originally bought direct from Germany. Instead of fitting the correct ca. 6 ft.lb spring, HW had just bolt cropped a stronger spring, and left the chisel shaped end.

Shockingly bad

I also do understand, that while chappies like me and others will do the fix, HW probably will happily continue to supply 'flawed' product.

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ