Thread: 1970s Retail Catalogue

harry mac is online now You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm

1970s Retail Catalogue

I have copies of a December 1976 retail catalogue and price sheet sent out by J. Johnson Guns, Norbury, London for sale. Each catalogue is 17 double sided pages, plus a price list.
    Guns from the Milbro/Diana, Webley and Scott, ASI, Original ranges (amongst a few others) are included, with a complete price list giving both RRP and "our price" figures. The whole gives an interesting insight as to what was available on the British market in the pre Airgun World era.
    The sheets are photo-copies of the original sheets, and I'd like £5 per copy, including postage.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    I'd like a copy if possible please.

Quote Originally Posted by ogilkes View Post
    I'd like a copy if possible please.
    Remind me by pm, which number you live at Olly, and I'll drop one round for you.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    Harry.

You need to empty your PM box.

Quote Originally Posted by ogilkes View Post
    Harry.

You need to empty your PM box.
    PM box is now very spacious.

I'd like a copy please.

Jim Johnson of 1577 London Road, Norbury, was probably the airgun shop that I visited the most in my early years of interest in shooting. I must have spend quite a few quid there, and also bought a number of airguns from him.

I'll PM you to confirm my purchase and details
    ATB, Paul
    Always looking for new members at the Swalecliffe and District TSC in sunny Herne Bay
    http://www.sanddtsc.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Paul SE View Post
    I'd like a copy please.

Jim Johnson of 1577 London Road, Norbury, was probably the airgun shop that I visited the most in my early years of interest in shooting. I must have spend quite a few quid there, and also bought a number of airguns from him.

I'll PM you to confirm my purchase and details
    PM recieved and replied to Paul. When did Jim Johnson close his doors for good?
    HM.

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    PM recieved and replied to Paul. When did Jim Johnson close his doors for good?
    HM.
    I remember still going to the Norbury shop when I started driving in 1984, but used him less frequently than before as I used Gentrys in Welling too. (Now Forsey)

I never met Jim Johnson, but his cohort who I believe was Jim Cole(?) was always in the Norbury shop with a fag on the go and a few choice words and banter for the customers
    Prices were always keen and good discounts available for cash

I bought a .22 HW77k from him in February 1985 for £99.95.

I reckon Johnson closed around 1986 - 1987; I seem to recall someone mentioning he closed through ill health.

I would guess that his other shop that dealt with other sports also closed around the same time, I believe it was in Mitcham.
    ATB, Paul
    Always looking for new members at the Swalecliffe and District TSC in sunny Herne Bay

I'd like a copy please, Harry. Please PM your payment details.
    Thanks, Graeme

Quote Originally Posted by VALE BOY View Post
    I'd like a copy please, Harry. Please PM your payment details.
    Thanks, Graeme
    It'll be in the post as soon as I have an address for you.

Thumbs up

Catalogue arrived safely today Thanks very much

It's interesting to note the prices listed for guns and pellets, and shows how much the costs rose quite rapidly to when I became interested in shooting, and joined a club in 1980.

I was also surprised to see that the El-Gamo Centre pistol was available in 1976; I bought a boxed immaculate one from Burgers Bexhill shop a few years and then sold it on looks like they are quite collectable now.
    ATB, Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul SE View Post
    Catalogue arrived safely today Thanks very much

It's interesting to note the prices listed for guns and pellets, and shows how much the costs rose quite rapidly to when I became interested in shooting, and joined a club in 1980.

I was also surprised to see that the El-Gamo Centre pistol was available in 1976; I bought a boxed immaculate one from Burgers Bexhill shop a few years and then sold it on looks like they are quite collectable now.
    With regard to the prices, I see their price for the Webley Hawk II was just over £26; my dad bought me one for my birthday that year and kept telling me to look after it because it had cost him £30, which for him at the time was a week's take home pay.
    I' m pretty sure I remember the ASI Center being reviewed in AGW in about 1978, I got the impression then that it was a new model.