Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Value on pellet tins

Value on pellet tins

Hi guys
    Could someone give me a value please on these tins as a job lot or individual tins please??
    Thanks
    Rgds scirroco

https://flic.kr/p/RCGeVD

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    I seem to remember selling a small 200 count, Eley Wasp tin the same as yours for £15 some years ago IIRC.
    The blue one might be something similar...
    Not sure about the others as I like mine with the contents.

Harvey,thanks for your reply,some have contents
    Rgds steve

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Edbear2 is your man for the best idea on a price for the others I would say... He usually spots the pellet tin threads

They appear to be very rare pellet tins, only issued for the Australian market.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    And your problem is ???

Quote Originally Posted by scirroco View Post
    And your problem is ???
    ......?
    Smile!...today is the day you worried about yesterday. :-)

Supanova II Weymouth....http://www.supanova-charters.co.uk/

edbear2 Guest
    Hi, I have moved on all my collection over the last few months with the exception of a stock of 5.6 stuff for my old .22's but the easiest way is to do a completed / sold listings search on that auction site. I did have a spreadsheet with all values on tins sold at auction over the preceding 12 months but that in on a laptop I managed to destroy over Christmas that will not power up

However, before I deleted my saved searches on that auction site I had noticed things seemed to be a bit quieter / cheaper lately...It does however goes in cycles as collectors start / stop the hobby or rare items appear, so as a seller one has to be patient and keep an eye on what's about / on sale at any one time.

One thing I did notice though was people buying replica tins (Sold perfecty honestly with the seller going to great pains to explain how they were made)....Maybe this is the new thing as easy to build a display without the stress of spending £1000's

ATB, Ed

Back to the original question:

As a job lot Id say a minimum of £75.

Pat
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Hi, I have moved on all my collection over the last few months with the exception of a stock of 5.6 stuff for my old .22's but the easiest way is to do a completed / sold listings search on that auction site.
    Hi Ed, I have seen a few old tins of pellets for sale on that site,and have noticed the odd webley/eley tin (as in the op pics) half full with pellets but what puzzles me is how shiny new the pellets look.Now we all know over time lead will darken when exposed to air and I can recall melting down some old pellets from the early 80's around 95 ish to make fishing leads etc and they had been in a tin but obviously the seal tape had been removed and therefore they had been exposed to air and over time they became a dark grey colour.
    My question is are some sellers who claim to be selling a half tin of 1980's eley wasp's that are 'shiny new' being honest about the pellets themselves or are they buying todays version and filling old tins half full to up the price?

I thought I'd ask you as you seem to know a bit about the older stuff,and apologies to the op for hi-jacking his thread.
    Smile!...today is the day you worried about yesterday. :-)

Supanova II Weymouth....http://www.supanova-charters.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by scirroco View Post
    And your problem is ???

I don't have a problem, but the attempt at a humorous response was because the picture shows the tins upside down.

I don't have a problem, but the attempt at a humorous response was because the picture shows the tins upside down.
    They would be no good to me - all the tins in my collection are the other way round.
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by weebster View Post
    Hi Ed, I have seen a few old tins of pellets for sale on that site,and have noticed the odd webley/eley tin (as in the op pics) half full with pellets but what puzzles me is how shiny new the pellets look.Now we all know over time lead will darken when exposed to air and I can recall melting down some old pellets from the early 80's around 95 ish to make fishing leads etc and they had been in a tin but obviously the seal tape had been removed and therefore they had been exposed to air and over time they became a dark grey colour.
    My question is are some sellers who claim to be selling a half tin of 1980's eley wasp's that are 'shiny new' being honest about the pellets themselves or are they buying todays version and filling old tins half full to up the price?

I thought I'd ask you as you seem to know a bit about the older stuff,and apologies to the op for hi-jacking his thread.
    It's a lottery the condition depending on storage, I have had 1930's pellets in excellent condition (normally card packets but sometimes tins) so oxidation varies hugely, with proximity to Oak accelerating the effect I have read

You need to ask for a close up of the pellets to be sure, and compare to online examples as per my Flikr and others as I have seen examples of the ''wrong'' pellet on occasion myself. I too have sold odd tins with all sorts in, but am careful to say that the contents are ''wrong'' as tins are used for all sorts and I have found allsorts in different tins. It could be 100% innocent and the seller not knowing of course.

Back to your question.....Eley's seem to stay in pretty good order I have found but non-genuine are a giveaway by the head ''pip'' if you look closely, and by how well they are made.

ATB, Ed
    ATB, ED

tins

if sold on the bay you may get £50 non are that rare

Thanks edbear.and to.all.who have replied,ive got quite a few more somewhere
    Rgda scirroco