Thread: some help with a BSA strip down PLEASE

some help with a BSA strip down PLEASE

i posted about a BSA Mercury challanger. i picked up last week and it is very twangy!!! so i tore it down to just the tube and trigger block. i have been trying to get the trigger block started turning and can not get it started? the maxi grip rail is butted up to the block is there some thing more i need to do to get it started turning? i have put a rubber covered rod though the hole and smacked it with a rubber mallet. with no luck. i am thinking i need to put it in a vice and get a longer rod. any tips on breaking it loose??? thanks in advance!!!
    Aint no fun when the rabbits got the gun

Charlie, don't think the maxi rail has any affect on the trigger block, but remove it anyhow as I would suggest using some heat on the steel tube to try and loosed the trigger block thread. I repair at least one airsporter a week and often have the same problem. The maxi rail is in a set of locking slots and needs to be tapped backwards before it will lift out. Using a heat gun apply heat to the steel tube and spray some WD40 in and around the thread and eventually they do break free.I personally use a blow torch but I am very careful not to let the metal discolour. Never had one that is impossible to move. You will have to leave the barrel and cocking link in place to stop the tube turning in the vice, be sure to protect the metal surface from jaw damage.

Baz
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 06-02-2017 at 06:56 AM.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Yes... you'll also need a bigger hammer!
    Donald

edbear2 Guest
    As Bennelli says plus use a nylon hammer on the trigger guard area, don't bother with the hole BSA put in, rubber mallet is a waste of time, you need to shock it without marking so you need a Thor superplastic lika dis;

http://images.toolbank.com/images/ex...ge/THO8112.JPG

A sharp rap with one of these combined with a light warming of the rear / bit of plusgas normally gets them started, I have not found a better tool for this (and many other) jobs!

ATB, Ed

some help with a BSA strip down PLEASE

Dip the whole back end of the tube in a bucket of hot water. I clamp the flat end of the trigger block in a padded vice & after releasing the cocking lever from the slot, break the barrel & use that as a lever to turn the cylinder. Be aware that there is a lot of pre-load on the spring when at the end of the thread & its best to remove the barrel before this stage & support the end of cylinder with a square flat bit of half inch ply or similar on your torso for the last few turns. you should replace the buffer washer behind the piston head before re-assembly as they are prone to breaking up with age(just done mine recently) When you get the end block off you should support the bottom half of the cylinder end on a wooden block on the floor & use a hardwood block to hit the front end of the maxigrip with a hammer to start it moving. A squirt of wd40 will help free it & get it sliding, it needs to come back at least half an inch before the keyways will disengage to remove. You can't remove the piston before you remove the maxigrip.Don't forget to carefully de-burr the inside of the maxigrip slots & the cocking slot before re-assembly with a new o-ring seal or they can cut the o-ring causing low power.

I never take guns apart but I seriously need a Thor hammer.
    Thanks Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    I never take guns apart but I seriously need a Thor hammer.
    Thanks Ed.
    I agree, I like it and I want one!

BSA Merc Trigger Block removal

Remove trigger, bent &spring, invert & lube threads with Dri Slide, leave 24 hours. Wrap strong cotton rag aroung cylinder ensuring some of the rag is wedged inside the cyl through the cocking slot ( this will stop the cyl turning & give a firm hold dont try vices you will bugger the cylinder) use a large hard rubber mallett & strike the trigger block untill it becomes free. Be aware the threaded portion of the block is steel and can sometimes seperate from the ally block, look it up for detail. Oh & mebbe use a strong leather glove when holding the rag wrapped cylinder.
    Goodluck bud!
    H

thank you all

thanks for the replys!!! also one more thing the threads on righty tighty lefty loosey right?
    Aint no fun when the rabbits got the gun

Quote Originally Posted by charlie350 View Post
    thanks for the replys!!! also one more thing the threads on righty tighty lefty loosey right?
    Correct