Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 6 yard MPL Postal Competition Rules.

Will do shortly, this thing is accurate with falcons, but boy is it dieseling !

Quote Originally Posted by robthedog View Post
    Will do shortly, this thing is accurate with falcons, but boy is it dieseling !
    It will soon settle down and when it does the accuracy and consistency will improve too - but it may not smell quite so good ( if you like the smell of dieseling!).
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    It will soon settle down and when it does the accuracy and consistency will improve too - but it may not smell quite so good ( if you like the smell of dieseling!).
    Only in the morning...

RobTheDog,

You have chosen wisely with the HW30S.

Weihrauch, for some reason, pack the innards of their springers with enough grease to service a fleet of lorries

To put some cherries on the cake, get a rear aperture sight, and /or, send the trigger to Mr. Luke Jolly - he will re-work it to give a safe, crisp 6 oz pull

The below are my HW 'springers' that I use in the MPL - top to bottom - HW30S, HW99S (in the 'camo' stock ), and HW95 SuperMatch)

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

Can't see the camo one....

where is the best place to get the rear sights ?

Rob,

'Target grade' aperture sights are uniformly scalping in price

As most are produced in Europe, they have suffered a huge price increase due to the collapse of the pound vs euro exchange rate

The sight I use - the Gehmann Compact 590 is now ca. £145

Best bet is to look on places such as evilbay for second hand ones - the Anschutz sights are very good and seem to have the most availability.

A lot of chappies use the Williams aperture sights, generally obtained from :

https://www.evilbay.co.uk/itm/Willia...wAAOSwA4dWJF6m

Please subtitute real name of site

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    RobTheDog,

Weihrauch, for some reason, pack the innards of their springers with enough grease to service a fleet of lorries

To put some cherries on the cake, get a rear aperture sight, and /or, send the trigger to Mr. Luke Jolly - he will re-work it to give a safe, crisp 6 oz pull

The below are my HW 'springers' that I use in the MPL - top to bottom - HW30S, HW99S (in the 'camo' stock ), and HW95 SuperMatch)

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

I am guessing the second space down in your picture is where the camouflaged HW99S is hidden?

The lumo-orange camouflage scheme on the HW99S works amazingly well

Lumo pink was used on the on the SAS long range desert group vehicles - lets hope it worked as well as yours does

Time to get your fleet in action again Russ !

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    I am guessing the second space down in your picture is where the camouflaged HW99S is hidden?

The lumo-orange camouflage scheme on the HW99S works amazingly well

Lumo pink was used on the on the SAS long range desert group vehicles - lets hope it worked as well as yours does

Time to get your fleet in action again Russ !

I have just taken my own advice and shot my HW30S in the July round of MPL Rifle.

I have paid my entry fee tonight so we have another late entry join this season MPL - me!

Which one of your superb HW fleet are you going to shoot Russ?

Bob,

Due to my current 'feeble-ness', either my HW30S or my HW99S

I will try my HW95 SuperMatch (4.6 kg), and my TX200 (5.8 kg !!!), but I fear they are currently a bit on the heavy side over a course of shots.

I might also try my 1974 Diana 35 again

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

Bob,

Due to my current 'feeble-ness', either my HW30S or my HW99S

I will try my HW95 SuperMatch (4.6 kg), and my TX200 (5.8 kg !!!), but I fear they are currently a bit on the heavy side over a course of shots.

I might also try my 1974 Diana 35 again

Have fun

Best regards

Russ
    You have a really good choice of springers to use in the MPL.

Your HW95 SuperMatch is a really unusual rifle here in the UK. I have an HW95 in .177 and I would like to use it in the MPL as well - but the UK version does not have any dovetail grooves in the end of the barrel so that makes it a "bit tricky" to fit a front sight onto.

If I can find anyone who can accurately cut some dovetails in the end of the barrel I will drop the power and make it more "target friendly". Failing that, I will try to find a source where I can buy a new SuperMatch barrel......and failing that I will sell it and find out where I can buy a new SuperMatch.

The HW95 is a lovely looking rifle and the adjustable cheekpiece would be very nice to have on a target springer, but it is a very powerful rifle that would need some taming down to get the best out of it as a paper-puncher !

Has anyone ever tried to fit an HW30S into an HW95 stock? - now that could be very interesting!!

Bob,

Isn't the 85 the same rifle but a different stock ? if so the 85 comes with fixed sights so you could use the barrel from one.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by robthedog View Post
    Bob,

Isn't the 85 the same rifle but a different stock ? if so the 85 comes with fixed sights so you could use the barrel from one.

Rob
    I am not an expert on HW variants - but if this is true then it should make finding a replacement barrel less of a problem if I cannot get dovetails machined into my '95 barrel.

Bob,

I take it the barrel on your HW98 does not have grooves (you should be able to see without removing the shroud) ?

If it does, all you would then need to do is machine part of the shroud away to expose the dove-tails.

If no dove-tails, you can get an HW95 barrel with the dove-tails, and then get the shroud machined.

A 3d printed sight block could be made to slip over the shroud ?

My HW95 Super Match, came from Waffen Schneider in Germany - looks like they only have the 'Match' version (minus barrel shroud) :

https://www.versandhaus-schneider.de...ducts_id/22499

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

RobTheDog,

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

Hi Russ,

Is that an HW98 Super Match - or is it an HW95 Super Match (that uses the standard '98 adjustable stock and the HW98 barrel sleeve?).

If so it would be much easier to break the barrel than it is on my proposed "98 target conversion.

Can anyone let me know what the differences are between the HW95, the HW 99 and HW98 other than the fiercer barrel locking mechanism and barrel sleeve on the '98?

The HW95 and HW99 are both listed as being 1050mm overall length, both 11.5 ft/lbs and both weight 3.2 kilos.

The HW98 is listed as being 1155mm overall length, 11.5 ft/lbs but weighs 3.75 kilos.

As a comparison the HW30S that we all love (but some find a little too small to be comfortable) is listed as being a "junior" rifle 1020mm overall length, 7 ft/lbs and weighs 2.5 kilos.

Bob.
    Last edited by zooma; 06-10-2018 at 04:23 PM.

Bob,

I take it the barrel on your HW98 does not have grooves (you should be able to see without removing the shroud) ?

If it does, all you would then need to do is machine part of the shroud away to expose the dove-tails.

If no dove-tails, you can get an HW95 barrel with the dove-tails, and then get the shroud machined.

A 3d printed sight block could be made to slip over the shroud ?

My HW95 Super Match, came from Waffen Schneider in Germany - looks like they only have the 'Match' version (minus barrel shroud) :

https://www.versandhaus-schneider.de...ducts_id/22499

Have fun

Best regards

Russ
    Lets see if I have understood this correctly?

HW95 Super Match comes with barrel sleeve.

HW95 Match does not have the barrel sleeve.

Both HW95 Super Match and HW95 Match use the HW98 stock with the adjustable cheek piece ?

Is there such a thing as an HW98 Super Match or an HW98 Match ?

My guess is that the very stiff HW98 barrel break mechanism is not best suited for use on a target rifle - by the time you have managed to break the barrel a few times the effort needed would be too much to hold the rifle steady on target - although it may latch more securely than the HW95 latch does, so it is a bit of a quandary when trying to decide whether to convert my HW98 by adding a dovetail to the barrel sleeve or not?

I have to add that once the barrel break has been completed, the effort needed to cock it is no more than the other HW break barrel rifles I have owned or shot.

Maybe they should have used the lever type of barrel locking mechanism from the HW35 and HW55 on the HW98 - then it would have been a winner with that lovely adjustable stock !