Thread: 6 yard MPL Postal Competition Rules.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I always thought the BBS competitions needed a club official/scorer's signature on the cards, I must be getting confused with something else - probably just old age...

How do I sign up?
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

Quote Originally Posted by Modski66 View Post
    I always thought the BBS competitions needed a club official/scorer's signature on the cards, I must be getting confused with something else - probably just old age...

How do I sign up?
    The MPL is an independnt competition that I drew the rules up for and started several years ago to encourage the use of classic airguns that need physical effort to prime the air gun as opposed to storing the energy in a tube ! Some of the previous BBS articles on this are worth digging out as they make interesting reading and nothing much has changed over the years.

Spring powered and single stroke pneumatics drop nicely into this "self powered" category and examples of both types can be bought new or used at very reasonable prices ( when compared to PCP for example).

This has the effect of making things "affordable" and very equal for those that felt they could not compete fairly against those with deeper pockets in any of the other competitions that existed at the time, so it has worked very well on this front too as well as being considered by many as encouraging newcomers into the sport of target shooting.

More recently (in recent years ) we have been privileged to use the good services of the BBS to enable the competition to be extended as a postal competition to enable anyone to take part from home or anywhere they can find a safe 6 yard distance to shoot in. Since then, we have also enjoyed the support of some that also shoot at clubs and at 10 meters too so it really can be enjoyed by all.

I designed the competition to enable those with no access to a club (distance, handicap etc) who still wanted to shoot air weapons at targets, and I considered the the traditional 6 yard distance as being a lot easier for anyone to achieve at home than the longer 10 meters distance.

This has also been a great success with competitors shooting in the most unlikely places at home in addition to the more predictable choices of garage, garden, cellar, attic or passageway etc.

Like many postal competitions, this one also relies on trust and self -scoring and the simple fact that you are only trying to beat your own its score, but also have the chance to compare it each month with other who may well be shooting on an innovative "home range" - possibly similar ( or not) to your own self constructed shooting environment.

Entering is easy - just bung a tenner (plus appropiate postage if req'd) to Russ (PhatMan) or myself (using the information shown in the rules) to get yourself a pack of 36 targets ( rifle or pistol - please specify) and you are ready to go!
    Last edited by zooma; 07-09-2018 at 06:10 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

I'm going to have a look around for a rifle, any suggestions ? i'm going to look at the 30, & 99, though the 30 does look a bit small.

Rob

The 30 is perfect, lovely little rifle & ideal for 6 meter shooting.

Thanks Neil, i take it you shoot one ?, if i get rained off tomorrow(forecast is for rain)i hope to visit a couple of shops & try both the 30 & 99. I did pick up a 30 with a scope on it, but want to try one with iron sights.
    Regards the 30. if you shoot one, how tall/broad are you ?

Rob

Hi Rob,

I have an HW30 with the Record trigger and it is indeed a superb and accurate rifle - but a little on the small side for me at 5ft 11 with long arms and a stiff neck!.

To help overcome this a Bisley adjustable butt plate can be bought for very little money online (less than £20) and is made from alloy and may give you that little extra length to help it fit better.

To be fair, without a dodgy neck I could probably make this rifle work well enough just the way it comes, and if you buy the version with the Record trigger you will have a superb little rifle.

Hope this helps,

Bob.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Thanks for the reply Bob,

Sounds like we are similar, years of injuries cause me issues now, neck & shoulders being one, i like the idea of swopping to the adjustable pad, thanks for the tip.

Rob