Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hw35...

Hellequin is offline I used to be indecisive.....

Hw35...

I'm considering 're-visiting' the HW35 as I had one a few years ago but have some questions...

The one I had was not 'mint' and when I sold it on was described as such. I did nowt to the internals and as far as I'm aware it was bog standard but it shot pretty well.

Now, I know there's sometimes banter about the old 35 on here; it has some fans but plenty who seem not to like it. What I want to know is, aside from the fact it's a bit of an ugly duckling with Musket type length, what's wrong with em?

Further to that, with regards 'tuning' them how well do they respond to having modern internals put in them? I know the older ones had a leather piston seal but can these be replaced with modern kit?

Looking forward to some of the replies on this, I'll get my tin hat!
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Get on with it Paul- just got one myself (an E) and love it!
    Tinbum drop in kit- easy
    Open sights (which seem to be a bit of a mutual 'like' at the moment) and it's putting easy 2p groups at 20 yards. Just magic.

Quote Originally Posted by JMH123 View Post
    Tinbum drop in kit- easy
    Open sights (which seem to be a bit of a mutual 'like' at the moment) and it's putting easy 2p groups at 20 yards. Just magic.
    I'm surprised Mr Bum didn't sabotage the kit, such is his disdain for the mighty 35...
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Hi Paul

what worked for me: 1976 0.22 with a 4mm tp
    [LIST][*]Modern Piston[*]Overall debur and polish[*]Vmach spring and guide[*]Vmach FAC seal

All most as nice a shot cycle as a reduced bore conversion......or was I lucky?

Cheers Steve

Just done an overhaul on my recently aquired 1995 (.22). Very accurate and so docile to shoot.
    Air Arms HFT 500. HW100 FSB. HW99 (.22) HW99 (.177) HW30 (.177) HW97K (.177) Gamo GX40 (.22)

Tinbum is the leading authority on all things HW35 related and will, I'm sure, be along with all the facts, figures, tips and mods.

Or not!!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hellequin View Post
    I'm considering 're-visiting' the HW35 as I had one a few years ago but have some questions...

The one I had was not 'mint' and when I sold it on was described as such. I did nowt to the internals and as far as I'm aware it was bog standard but it shot pretty well.

Now, I know there's sometimes banter about the old 35 on here; it has some fans but plenty who seem not to like it. What I want to know is, aside from the fact it's a bit of an ugly duckling with Musket type length, what's wrong with em?

Further to that, with regards 'tuning' them how well do they respond to having modern internals put in them? I know the older ones had a leather piston seal but can these be replaced with modern kit?

Looking forward to some of the replies on this, I'll get my tin hat!

Seriously, though, and in line with the above chaps, jump right in, sir; you'll love it!

With very few mods, these can shoot brilliantly. Very, very accurate (which there are as standard) and (again, as mentioned above) can easily be made to shoot as sweetly as a heavily re-worked, sleeved modern "super boinger".

In my experience, V-Mach springs and kits work superbly in them. And just wait until you have a go with Mick's at The Bash. It's an earlier, 65mm stroke leather sealed gun, stroked to 70mm, slightly lighter piston and 'O' ring head. And, according to Mick, the later synthetic seal guns have this lighter piston and longer stroke to start with; so just a little fettle and careful re-lube will have it shooting beautifully.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Lovely rifles, but in my experience, the older leather washer models don't take too kindly to the synthetic conversion...

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Seriously, though, and in line with the above chaps, jump right in, sir; you'll love it!

With very few mods, these can shoot brilliantly. Very, very accurate (which there are as standard) and (again, as mentioned above) can easily be made to shoot as sweetly as a heavily re-worked, sleeved modern "super boinger".

In my experience, V-Mach springs and kits work superbly in them. And just wait until you have a go with Mick's at The Bash. It's an earlier, 65mm stroke leather sealed gun, stroked to 70mm, slightly lighter piston and 'O' ring head. And, according to Mick, the later synthetic seal guns have this lighter piston and longer stroke to start with; so just a little fettle and careful re-lube will have it shooting beautifully.
    Thanks Tony, I'll definitely look forward to that at the bash along with gaining more knowledge on the 35 in general. Seems beauty really is skin deep eh?

Thanks to everyone else who's commented so far too, it's great to hear some positives and yes, I'm already sold on getting one!
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Quote Originally Posted by JMH123 View Post
    Tinbum drop in kit- easy
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasle View Post
    Hi Paul

what worked for me: 1976 0.22 with a 4mm tp
    [LIST][*]Modern Piston[*]Overall debur and polish[*]Vmach spring and guide[*]Vmach FAC seal

All most as nice a shot cycle as a reduced bore conversion......or was I lucky?

Cheers Steve
    Definitely a mutual 'like' on the open sights front; I managed to have an hour plinking today with my Supersport Carbine and then a little old Webley Tempest. It's a challenge but great fun!

Anyway it seems that not only do you two gents have my old 80k between you, but you have similar views on the 35 too! Great minds and all that...
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Quote Originally Posted by Hellequin View Post
    Definitely a mutual 'like' on the open sights front; I managed to have an hour plinking today with my Supersport Carbine and then a little old Webley Tempest. It's a challenge but great fun!

Anyway it seems that not only do you two gents have my old 80k between you, but you have similar views on the 35 too! Great minds and all that...
    Quality break barrel springer's - great fun ... and what is a 35 if not a short stroked 80?

Cheers Steve

I got one with a diopter, fun alternative to scopes.

http://barx.org/airguns/?id=hw_35

Quote Originally Posted by vestlenning View Post
    I got one with a diopter, fun alternative to scopes.

http://barx.org/airguns/?id=hw_35
    Like it! Where did you get the diopter (and what model) please?

Thank you. The rifle is second hand, the diopter came with it. It might be a Weihrauch, I've seen the same diopter on other HWs.

Thanks again for the replies on this. Can anyone say when HW switched from leather to synthetic seal? The rifle I'll be getting is from approx. 1980 and .22 calibre.
    Wyrd bið ful aræd