Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hw35...

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    get one with the synthetic seal, slightly longer stroke, and small TP. they shoot better.
    Is it a case of using a later model piston John?
    Cheers Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Duggan View Post
    Hi TonyL. I understand that there is a tin of Nickerson pellets with your name on it. I'll keep them safe for you until we can meet up at your Boinger Bash hopefully.

Cheers
    Hi Karl,

What a lovely gesture.

However, and I don't want to seem ungrateful, I'm sure I'll still have that half empty tin of mine somewhere, so really no need, but thank you.

And it would be fantastic if you could get along for a Boing at The Bash; be lovely to see you and some of your toys.

Uncle Mick has a Range Rover that's always packed to the gunnels with guns, too!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve1962 View Post
    Picked up one recently, stripped and polished internals new leather piston seal fitted and having to size down a fair bit, TBT drop in kit waiting to go in, Stock coming along nicely 5 coats of Linseed so far, just need to be brave enough to try and reblue came without sights so tracking some down at the moment, Serial number is 640915 no idea how old, piston seem to be slamming home quite hard any advice gratefully relieved as I'm quite a novice but enjoying every minute tinkering.
    Welcome to the forum and to '35 ownership, Steve.

What calibre is your gun? What pellets have you tried? And what spring are you using? Breech seal okay?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Is it a case of using a later model piston John?
    Cheers Steve
    Sorry to be rude and jump in, Steve, but it seems Jon's not logged on at the moment.

Yes, a later model piston, with the synthetic head, is what he's referring to.

Mick, T20, recently enlightened many of us recently. The later piston is a little lighter and gives about 5mm more stroke, which helps the '35.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellequin View Post
    Thanks again for the replies on this. Can anyone say when HW switched from leather to synthetic seal? The rifle I'll be getting is from approx. 1980 and .22 calibre.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Welcome to the forum and to '35 ownership, Steve.

What calibre is your gun? What pellets have you tried? And what spring are you using? Breech seal okay?
    Hi Tony thanks for the welcome and info on piston and seal, it's a tatty .22 that I've been given, spring I believe is probably standard one at least it seems in good condition unlike the one I took out the 77,not completely sure about breech seal as it seems very worn new one going in on reassemble, tried RWS super fields that I use in my 77 had a nasty cheap scope on it and struggled just got hammered back along the rails hoping it's not drooping to much, rear sight in post looking for front one now.
    Steve

The "slamming" you mentioned earlier will, most likely, be due to the worn breech seal, Steve.

Give it a try when the new seal is on and see how you go.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Sorry to be rude and jump in, Steve, but it seems Jon's not logged on at the moment.

Yes, a later model piston, with the synthetic head, is what he's referring to.

Mick, T20, recently enlightened many of us recently. The later piston is a little lighter and gives about 5mm more stroke, which helps the '35.
    exactly; thanks Tone
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I apoligise if it seems I'm hijacking this thread, I've finally put the action back together, I must have ordered the wrong drop in kit from Tinbum, as the guide stuck out the end of the piston by about 10mm, I've shortened it and cleaned it up, now slip washer, top hat and guide fit nicely in piston, but it still will not travel enough to cock needs about another 5mm+ of travel, as I'm not sure if it's the original spring would the next move be to shorten the spring by a couple of coils? Thanks in advance.
    Cheers Steve

A standard HW35 spring has 26 coils some have 27.

I apoligise if it seems I'm hijacking this thread, I've finally put the action back together, I must have ordered the wrong drop in kit from Tinbum, as the guide stuck out the end of the piston by about 10mm, I've shortened it and cleaned it up, now slip washer, top hat and guide fit nicely in piston, but it still will not travel enough to cock needs about another 5mm+ of travel, as I'm not sure if it's the original spring would the next move be to shorten the spring by a couple of coils? Thanks in advance.
    Cheers Steve
    Ah well, Steve.

The leather sealed piston and synthetic sealed piston are very different in their construction.

The synthetic sealed piston has a piston rod 5.4mm longer in usable length than the Leather sealed piston.

So the leather sealed piston takes a 5.4mm shorter Spring guide compared to the synthetic sealed piston, and there is also 5.4mm less Spring room in a leather sealed gun.

Either of the above could be causing you problems, try sticking the original Spring guide back in the gun with the new Spring and see if it cocks --- if not you'll need to shorten the Spring a little.

You could also try cocking the action outside the stock to see if your Spring is going coilbound.

All the best Mick

Hellequin is offline I used to be indecisive.....
    Cheers Steve
    Hijack away Steve, it's all good info anyway!
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Thank you Mick, I've not put the action back in the stock yet so checked its definitely coil bound its the Spring that came with it I did think of ordering the kit with new spring but opted for the one without.
    Not sure I'll have the time to sort it this week but hopefully soon.

Wink

I certainly will then Paul real learning curve this for me if can break it I almost definitely will a some point, we'll at many points really so it's nice to know theirs someone around who knows how it all goes back together, I just have a terrible habit of taking things apart to see how it works 😂

Smile

Thank you all for the help and advice removed one coil from spring rifle now cock s, no more piston hammering no recoil and a treat to use.
    Cheers Steve
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/attachment....1&d=1487366892
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/attachment....2&d=1487366934

i loved my old hw35 wish i still had it