Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hw35...

Mine is a 1980 and had a leather seal, now converted to plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellequin View Post
    Thanks again for the replies on this. Can anyone say when HW switched from leather to synthetic seal? The rifle I'll be getting is from approx. 1980 and .22 calibre.
    Mine was a '76 and a leather washer, I understand they didn't change until the very early 80's.

If yours has got a leather washer, please don't be tempted to use a 'leather to synthetic screw on conversion bit' - change the whole piston instead.

Good luck - the job will be worth it when its done.

Cheers Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Weasle View Post
    If yours has got a leather washer, please don't be tempted to use a 'leather to synthetic screw on conversion bit' - change the whole piston instead.
    Works great for me...

Hellequin is offline I used to be indecisive.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasle View Post
    Mine was a '76 and a leather washer, I understand they didn't change until the very early 80's.

Good luck - the job will be worth it when its done.

Cheers Steve
    Cheers Steve. It sounds like a decent rifle as it is to be honest, it's already had a strip/clean/relube and quoted as shooting at a steady 11.5fpe, however I have plans for it....

I was going to get a 97k to fettle but that fell through and I've changed my mind on what I want anyway. At present, I want to keep the original stock on the 35 (because it's been refinished nicely) but send the action away, probably to Lyn Lewington. I intend having it re-blued & a full V-Glide done, hence sending it to someone who knows what he's doing.

What I'm undecided about at the mo is whether to leave it full length with open sights, or have the barrel shortened and a V-Mach slim alloy moderator fitted but obviously this'll make it a scope only rifle.

All in the future anyway; I need to get the rifle first!
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Tinbum is the leading authority on all things HW35 related and will, I'm sure, be along with all the facts, figures, tips and mods.

Or not!!
    Ahem! I could step in if you'd like, I'm sure he wouldn't mind as we both share the same issue's........I mean knowledge

Now where's my angle grinder.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I Really like the HW 35, got three of them and wouldnt hesitate getting another one. Now if I can get the Exports with their 22 inch barrel shooting as well as my Theoben Evolution with an 8.5 inch barrel, sincerely I will be amazed and delighted in equal measure.

Airgun World Article?

Duggan,

There's an excellent looking little article in the new issue of Airgun World featuring a treasure trove find of lovely desirable boingers.

Is that from your good self, sir?

Not read it yet....managed to flick through it last night, but that's it so far.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Cool

Duggan,

There's an excellent looking little article in the new issue of Airgun World featuring a treasure trove find of lovely desirable boingers.

Is that from your good self, sir?

Not read it yet....managed to flick through it last night, but that's it so far.
    Hi TonL, yes I'm afraid it is, apologies for my lack of writing ability and photography skills. I have though been asked to do a number of articles for AGW, over the next few editions.. I managed to pick up my three, HW 35's from one of my Land Rover trips.....It certainly was a Discovery...

Quote Originally Posted by Duggan View Post
    Hi TonL, yes I'm afraid it is, apologies for my lack of writing ability and photography skills. I have though been asked to do a number of articles for AGW, over the next few editions.. I managed to pick up my three, HW 35's from one of my Land Rover trips.....It certainly was a Discovery...
    I've only had a quick glance, sir, but looks more than fine to me.

Will read it in the morning.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Duggan View Post
    Read it a little earlier, Karl.

Excellent.

Some of it we knew about from your BBS posts, but always nice to see the photos of some of the rifles you had mentioned.

And the Kestock '80.....now I've seen the photo I do have teensy, weensy, fluffy, vague recollections of seeing something like that when visiting Steve once.

And sometimes it's the little reminders, like I'd forgotten about the existence of the Tasco Rama. And I'd forgotten all about once buying (at about 15 years old) some of those Nickerson pellets shown in your main photo. Come to think of it, I now remember buying my Garcia Silicon Cloth on the same day......I still use it today! So a big thank you for that little memory jog!

Look forward, with drool, to your next instalments.

Read it a little earlier, Karl.

Excellent.

Some of it we knew about from your BBS posts, but always nice to see the photos of some of the rifles you had mentioned.

And the Kestock '80.....now I've seen the photo I do have teensy, weensy, fluffy, vague recollections of seeing something like that when visiting Steve once.

And sometimes it's the little reminders, like I'd forgotten about the existence of the Tasco Rama. And I'd forgotten all about once buying (at about 15 years old) some of those Nickerson pellets shown in your main photo. Come to think of it, I now remember buying my Garcia Silicon Cloth on the same day......I still use it today! So a big thank you for that little memory jog!

Look forward, with drool, to your next instalments.

Hi TonyL. I understand that there is a tin of Nickerson pellets with your name on it. I'll keep them safe for you until we can meet up at your Boinger Bash hopefully.

Cheers

To Hellequin - go for it! I have a late 70's HW35 with leather piston, Welsh Willy tuned. I only use open sights, smooth and consistent, great fun, love its chunkiness and built like the proverbial German outhouse......

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    get one with the synthetic seal, slightly longer stroke, and small TP. they shoot better.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Hellequin is offline I used to be indecisive.....
    Quote Originally Posted by SRV1 View Post
    To Hellequin - go for it! I have a late 70's HW35 with leather piston, Welsh Willy tuned. I only use open sights, smooth and consistent, great fun, love its chunkiness and built like the proverbial German outhouse......

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    get one with the synthetic seal, slightly longer stroke, and small TP. they shoot better.
    Cheers gents. I've already got a rifle lined up which is a 1980 model, so leather seal I think. Either way, at some point I'll be getting a nice re-blue job and proper tuning work done but I'm in no rush...
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Picked up one recently, stripped and polished internals new leather piston seal fitted and having to size down a fair bit, TBT drop in kit waiting to go in, Stock coming along nicely 5 coats of Linseed so far, just need to be brave enough to try and reblue came without sights so tracking some down at the moment, Serial number is 640915 no idea how old, piston seem to be slamming home quite hard any advice gratefully relieved as I'm quite a novice but enjoying every minute tinkering.