Thread: Some pellet tests in traditional British .22 barrels. Can we produce a shortlist?

Some pellet tests in traditional British .22 barrels. Can we produce a shortlist?

Given the demise of the superlative Eley Wasp (now replaced by an unrelated version of highly inferior quality, known merely as Wasp), what are collectors using in their vintage .22 traditional British calibres (I gather .22 equates to approx. 5.6mm as opposed to 5.5mm)?

Since joining this site a few weeks ago, I have bought - inter alia - two Mk3 Webleys. One is pre-button rifling but the second is a 1973, post-button rifling. Using a chronograph, I compared pellet energies in both rifles. In addition, we compared the pre-button rifled Webley with a second pre-button rifle, owned by a friend.

This was interesting: the two pre-button rifles preferred BSA Elite pellets, which performed best by a margin, at around 11ft/lbs on average. Next was Defiant 'Obsoletes' (specially produced for British .22s - with a rather strange shape), coming in a little under that rating. Superdomes produced a respectable 10.2ft/lbs. Hobby was hopeless.

We then tried the single Webley Mk3 with post-button rifling. This placed Defiant 'Vintage Obsolete' ahead with about 10.3ft/lbs, followed by Superdome, with about the same (albeit one pellet of three recorded 10.7 ft/lbs). BSA Elites produced 9.4ft/lbs and Hobby was again hopeless, with about 7ft/lbs. Certainly, this rifle might have had a poorer spring, so the velocity is in itself secondary, alongside the pellet ranking.

We have not had time to investigate the accuracy fully, as yet, other than to report that the pre-button rifles on both Mk3s found a lesser degree of accuracy with Defiants but better accuracy with Elites and Superdomes (of equal measure).

I am waiting for my BSA Standard to be returned from the gunsmith, after the new piston has been installed with its new washer and I shall then carry out tests on it. I have also just bought, subject range tests for accuracy, a 1922 BSA Standard and will subject that to the same testing. This rifle was producing a rewarding 11.2 ft/lbs on the gunsmith's chronograph but I forgot to ask what pellets he used; probably it was the BSA Elite.

So far, I have only used four pellet varieties - so the above is only an indication of things. The energy tests were all performed at the gunsmith as I do not possess a chronograph.

I am wondering, however, what do other collectors find are the best pellets these days for their elderly rifles (most of which, probably, are either BSAs or Webleys)? I have only tried four varieties of pellet but, amongst the massive choice available, there are perhaps others that will perform even more strongly and whilst every rifle is different, I feel sure a pattern of some sort must be feasible and recordable.

Clearly, one is looking for consistency too and, presumably, wider heads and skirts will suit our older rifles.

I suspect there are other pellets that - like Elites and Defiants - produce improved energy and - in some cases - better accuracy.

Perhaps I am re-tilling old ground in this post. On the other hand, it would be wonderful if collectors could earmark and agree, say, half a dozen pellet varieties for use in our vintage rifles and then occasionally test new varieties that periodically appear on the market. Such knowledge, were it possible, would be of considerable assistance and value to collectors.

Perhaps this is an ambitious exercise but it would be both fruitful and enormously worthwhile.

I shall be most interested in the views of fellow collectors - and I say this as a novice, who has just rediscovered his interest in air rifles and is finding it an expensive hobby.

Rgds
    Andrew.
    Last edited by andrewM; 07-02-2017 at 10:17 PM.

You could try Falcon Accuracy plus? Very soft pellets that may conform to the barrel better?
    Thanks - Geoff.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Suggest adding Bisley LRG to your 5.6mm testing list.. along with Defiant Vintage and Superdomes, they often give excellent results in larger bores.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

edbear2 Guest
    H+N FTT in 5.54 are outstanding in my 1911 BSA but seem harder to find thesedays?

ATB, ED

Thanks for all your suggestions. I shall see if I can obtain these pellets and try them.

Rgds
    A