Thread: FWB300 cocking and pellet loading

FWB300 cocking and pellet loading

Should the sled be pushed to the forward position before cocking, or leave it floating, and then let the cocking action return it forward?

Reason im asking, my FWB300 seems to have a slightly different consistency and POI (at 25m benchrest) using the 2 different methods.

Also, it seems to be slightly more consistent POI if I thumb the pellet firmly a bit further into the barrel, rather than just inserting the pellet softly. Is this usual? (Falcon accuracy plus pellets)

Thanks!
    Thanks - Geoff.

Doesn't seem to make the slightest difference to mine (I took it out and tried today). In fact the only thing which ever stops it putting all the pellets in the same hole is me pointing it in the wrong direction as the pellet exits the muzzle.

As I recently posted on another thread here about the 300S, I read in a blog/feature somewhere that you should move the action forward on the sled to relock it after firing BEFORE cocking again, as otherwise it can lead to the premature wear of some parts, but I'm not sure if this is just someone making assumptions, or whether it is based on actual FWB operating advice. I notice a difference in the smoothness of cocking if I don't lock the sled, so out of habit I always shake it forward first. HTH!

Sled on FWB 300s

I really don't think I makes any difference at all.
    As long as the sled is moved forward before shooting. It only slides on a rail and 2 pins at the rear of the action. Having said that i do check its forward before I load, but thats just a habit.

Geoff,

On my FWB300 & 300SU, I don't notice any difference.

On my FWB65 pistol I do - re-locking it back to battery first gives a lovely, smooth cocking cycle.

Cocking it with the action back is not nice at all - you can feel something is straining a bit before the action is moved into lock.

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

Herx77 is offline "Instruments of the light"
    Never noticed any difference locked or not . Most of the time the gun is shot in our veterans gun competitions prone,and the slide drops forward before cocking and loading.Accuracy remains excellent at all times..
    Also use Falcon Accuracy Plus, as max range is 35 yards in our competitions and gun runs at at 7ft/lbs just on limit before trajectory falls off too much, they are a good compromise.
    HERX77 .
    Last edited by Herx77; 20-02-2017 at 10:35 PM.
    Fighter against the "Dark Arts" A stranger in an even stranger land.
    GC2+Leupold 14.4-34x45
    AA400 fac receiver+sidewinder 8.5-34x52
    Weihrauch HW77k fiddled with and doing what it wants to +Zeiss 3-9x36.
    Weihrauch HW90k
    Weihrauch HW97k learning from above,now sporting a Maccarri 77/97 target stock..+Bushnell 3200.Go on shoot one you know you want to
    Daystate mk3 RT Delux + bushnell 4200 8-24x 40Does what it should again & again.
    Fwb 124 + Optima was good is good!
    Webley Vulcan.

I had my 300s from the late Alan Bray shop in 1973 [ish], and I was told to always tip it forward after each shot as this relieved strain on the cocking arm system. I didn't always do this and I never noticed any difference in POI, after all the gun is in the same relative position internally whichever way it is cocked. A little while later I had occasion to contact ASI the then importer and I asked the question, with the same reply, it is recommended to tip the muzzle down and re lock the action after each shot, for the same reasons that I was given originally.
    Hope this is of some help.
    ATVB
    abellringer

Been playing, sure, the cocking and locking the mech seems to have little difference to the POI.

What makes a difference however, is how tightly I hold the rifle.

I was putting very little pressure on the rifle for each shot, but its all more accurate by tightly pulling the rifle butt into my shoulder.
    Dosnt seem right, and its a lot more difficult on having a relaxed trigger finger when the rest of my hand has a tight grip!

Oh well, if it works!
    Thanks - Geoff.

The action is pushed forward on the cocking stroke. If you cock the gun out of the action you will see there is bar that pushes against the rear sled support pin on cocking. Most however will do this as mentioned, by gravity & tipping the gun downwards if correctly lubricated.

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.

Quote Originally Posted by trick cyclist View Post
    As I recently posted on another thread here about the 300S, I read in a blog/feature somewhere that you should move the action forward on the sled to relock it after firing BEFORE cocking again, as otherwise it can lead to the premature wear of some parts, but I'm not sure if this is just someone making assumptions, or whether it is based on actual FWB operating advice. I notice a difference in the smoothness of cocking if I don't lock the sled, so out of habit I always shake it forward first. HTH!
    The operating instructions for my 300S Junior makes no mention of moving the action forward before using the cocking lever and therefore I don't. You could say shaking it forward could lead to unneccessary wear and not the other way round - but I really don't see the harm in either movement as they're such a robust mechanism anyway.

No gravity involved moving the sled forward again, not on Benchrest!
    Anyway, discussion closed on moving the sled, now I have found a much tighter grip improves benchrest accuracy :-)
    Thanks - Geoff.

Benchrest! that puts in slightly different slant; strangely both my 300S's which were superbly accurate [a Gb record proves the point] were never much good on a rest, when I first zeroed in my first one on a bench rest and then shot it freehand the POI was amazingly off a lot, if I ever needed to rest either gun, I had to use a really soft bag support. No one ever really explained this phenomenon and I never could get to the bottom of it, perhaps other 300S users could shed some light?
    abellringer