Thread: I've just scratched a HW95 shaped itch.

I've just scratched a HW95 shaped itch.

The example I've picked up has certainly been used, but having had it apart seems pretty mechanically sound. Piston seal is still fairly white, breech seal might need replacing, but the spring was a bit wonky so I replaced it with one that I've got lying around that looked pretty similar (slightly larger ID and OD) and that's all fine but it is a bit twangier now though which I expect will be fixed with some delrin. Cocks more easily though and is now putting out 11+ rather than the 9 it was before.

Cosmetically though it is a bit of a puzzle. The stock is fine, a few dings and scratches but not abused, in fact it seems in better condition than the metalwork for it's age (20+ years). The main cosmetic issue is that it's pretty scratched all down the LHS of the barrel to the extent that I reckon I'd like it reblued. The question is, are guns like your house? Once you've decorated one room the rest looks a bit tired and then needs doing as well?

So if I'm going for a reblue, do I just get the whole action done or can I get away with just the barrel?

Thoughts?

...oh and is there a cure for the rattly cocking arm?

Thanks,

Rob.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    unless the cylinder is very good, redoing just the barrel will look a little strange.
    Coupe of small o-rings or plastic shims either side of the link pin should help with the rattle
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Captain Bongo is offline I'm not falling for this again........
    The barrel on my Walther Century looked a bit rough (previous owners diy reblue) and I was going to get that reblued but ended up getting a TbT sleeve for it instead. Looks great and feels much nicer to shoot with the extra mass up front.

I have a ratty 95 but my atitude is worry about how it shoots.
    I also have a ratty 80 will be collecting a ratty 35 at the bash all in. 22
    My plan is to test them all against each other back to back and work out which is best for me if I find one stands out I could always get a better one or spend money making nicer.
    Should say the internals are all tuned and c tricked up on all of them.
    I also have a. 177 99 in very good condition as well as lots of other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    unless the cylinder is very good, redoing just the barrel will look a little strange.
    Coupe of small o-rings or plastic shims either side of the link pin should help with the rattle
    This ^ ^ ^

And, for me, acquiring a used gun like this is very appealing. Good internals? Magic. Use the gun as God intended and the less than perfect cosmetics make you less precious over it, especially if it's to be used as a field gun.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

The HW95 needs a face lift. 1. It needs a flush fitting breech block 2. A manual breech release lever(Omega style)
    3. Safety warning sticker as opposed to engraved ugliness(this should apply to all HW range)

Quote Originally Posted by derekj View Post
    The HW95 needs a face lift. 1. It needs a flush fitting breech block 2. A manual breech release lever(Omega style)
    3. Safety warning sticker as opposed to engraved ugliness(this should apply to all HW range)
    1, why? what would that achieve other than to put up the unit price?

2, why? the HW95/98/99 Dianas etc all have perfectly good breech lockups without a lever.

3, Why what purpose would this serve?

You seem obsessed with how things look rather than how they work.