Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk to me about the Diana 54 Airking...

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    Why didn't I think of calling Ronnies? They're only a short trip up the motorway from me
    Did you get sorted ?
    “An airgun or two”………

What about a 280?

It seems to me that these enormous rifles are really best suited for the USA and similar markets, where power is not restricted by FACs and such like. There, full length springs can be introduced and the power considerably escalated. I was looking at the Diana 350 a few days ago which, from memory, is a whopping great 48in in length. In the chamber there is a spacer because, for the UK market, a smaller spring is required.

The above all stated, I am keen on Diana - a manufacturer with a great brand name and history. I still have my Original 45, which performs at over 11.8ft/lbs, albeit some pellets do rather less. I am contemplating buying a Diana 280, break barrel, which seems to have done rather well in reviews, is accurate and as powerful as the AirKing (unless an FAC model is used). It is also only some 7lbs in weight and, I gather, has the TO6 trigger. The price is also competitive.

Furthermore, I rather suspect Diana will be a name of which we shall be hearing rather more in coming years: it has just been taken over and the UK Distributors, Edgar Bros, have recently been appointed.

Rgds
    A
    Last edited by andrewM; 12-02-2017 at 10:58 PM.

In respect of your last paragraph, you could be right !

I'm booking a 2 hour slot at the local range this week with the 54 so we'll see how that goes !
    Looking forward to it !
    “An airgun or two”………

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    Did you get sorted ?
    Post #16: Park Street Guns ordered one in for me, should be able to pick it up on saturday

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    It seems to me that these enormous rifles are really best suited for the USA and similar markets, where power is not restricted by FACs and such like. There, full length springs can be introduced and the power considerably escalated. I was looking at the Diana 350 a few days ago which, from memory, is a whopping great 48in in length. In the chamber there is a spacer because, for the UK market, a smaller spring is required.
    I'm aware of all the above, but I do like the idea of a rifle that, like the HW80, is just 'ticking over' at UK power levels.
    I'm also going to be using it as a working example for my own experiments with recoilless springers

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    Furthermore, I rather suspect Diana will be a name of which we shall be hearing rather more in coming years: it has just been taken over and the UK Distributors, Edgar Bros, have recently been appointed.
    I hope so! They seem like a manufacturer with a lot to offer and look to have been unfairly sidelined so far.
    Good deals with these members

Just been putting a few rounds through the Airking over a short range at home.
    One or two points imerging ;

Its not easy to cock but that's partly to do with me being a southpaw. (the gun's rt/hd)
    The sidelever's 16" in length and feels quite long so there's a long cocking stroke, the majority of which engages the spring, trigger/safety and the remainder setting the action forward on the internal sledge. All this takes "a fair bit of Umph" ! However, with the breech being a conical design similar to the Fwb 300S, I found loading the .177 pellet easier than say my TX's or my HW 77.
    Like the 300S, this can be simplified when in the standing position, then the rifle can be tilted forward to allow the action to slide forward before cocking the sidelever ! Not so easily performed when in the sitting position though.
    Once completed, the cocking lever safety is released and the lever is returned to the side of the cylinder with a nice positive lock up !
    The rifle can then be aligned on the target, safety slipped and fired !
    The resulting effect is very good and almost totally recoil free although I did feel a minute, tiny nudge, almost minimal. This may improve in time when a lot more lead has been passed through the bore and the sledge gets run in.
    Overall, I really liked it !

Obviously a right handed shooter is going to find shooting this large, heavy air rifle easier. I'm of an average build but I reckon someone having lets say, "a larger physical frame" would find this operation a fair bit sweeter !
    The total weight of mine complete with an MTC 3-12x44 plus mounts is 11 lb 4oz. The scope could be swapped for something lighter in an effort to reduce the overall weight but this would not really make the cocking of the rifle any easier other than make the handling a little more friendly ?

I'll be taking the air rifle along to the local range this week to zero it, choose its preferred pellet and hopefully have a great time !
    Last edited by Blackrider; 14-02-2017 at 01:00 PM.
    “An airgun or two”………

Excellent, will be interested to hear how you get on as it may be a week or two before I can get to a range. Are you using a one piece mount?

Excellent, will be interested to hear how you get on as it may be a week or two before I can get to a range. Are you using a one piece mount?
    All being well I'll be shooting it on Thursday and I'll come back on here with a brief update !

I'm using low Sportsmatch double screw "two piece" mounts. I initially thought about a one-piece but the Airking has a mounting rail so with the extra height this gave, these low mounts fitted great and give the scope a nice low profile.
    I think the mounts will be fine particularly as this is a "Non Recoiling" air rifle, certainly no need for a Dampa Mount !
    “An airgun or two”………

All being well I'll be shooting it on Thursday and I'll come back on here with a brief update !

I'm using low Sportsmatch double screw "two piece" mounts. I initially thought about a one-piece but the Airking has a mounting rail so with the extra height this gave, these low mounts fitted great and give the scope a nice low profile.
    I think the mounts will be fine particularly as this is a "Non Recoiling" air rifle, certainly no need for a Dampa Mount !
    The thing is although it feels recoilless, the action itself is actually moving a lot more than most conventional spring rifles....I've seen one piece mounts strongly recommended for these.
    Obviously if it works out ok then all to the good, but if you start getting inexplicable POI changes then the mounts are the first thing I'd look at.
    I may or may not buy a one piece when I go to pick mine up, I'll see what they have in stock.

The thing is although it feels recoilless, the action itself is actually moving a lot more than most conventional spring rifles....I've seen one piece mounts strongly recommended for these.
    Obviously if it works out ok then all to the good, but if you start getting inexplicable POI changes then the mounts are the first thing I'd look at.
    I may or may not buy a one piece when I go to pick mine up, I'll see what they have in stock.
    Fair point, we'll see what happens on Thursday !
    “An airgun or two”………

Just a couple of bits of info to add, John.

The 12ftlbs 54 as supplied to you will be fitted with the export spring, rather than reduce the power by fitting a weaker mainspring, Diana fit a transfer port restrictor under the breech seal --- this is why you're finding it hard to cock.
    Removal of the restrictor combined with much Spring chopping would make for easier cocking.

The 54 actually puts more stress on scopes due to the whiplash imparted on it by the action, which is why I use a Dampamount on mine and a high recoil rated scope (Elite 3200 10X40).

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Just a couple of bits of info to add, John.

The 12ftlbs 54 as supplied to you will be fitted with the export spring, rather than reduce the power by fitting a weaker mainspring, Diana fit a transfer port restrictor under the breech seal --- this is why you're finding it hard to cock.
    Removal of the restrictor combined with much Spring chopping would make for easier cocking.

The 54 actually puts more stress on scopes due to the whiplash imparted on it by the action, which is why I use a Dampamount on mine and a high recoil rated scope (Elite 3200 10X40).

All the best Mick
    Cheers Mick. we'll have a chat in April !
    Great gun though, I love it. Part Bullworker, part Airgun !
    I'll have biceps like Garth before I've done !

ATB,

John.
    “An airgun or two”………

Is the Airking physically larger than the Diana 52? Never seen one in the flesh but the stock appears more substantial in photos. To my eyes.
    Anyone know?

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    Is the Airking physically larger than the Diana 52? Never seen one in the flesh but the stock appears more substantial in photos. To my eyes.
    Anyone know?
    They are the same gun and similar in most aspects except weight. As for cocking, mine has the restrictor removed and can be cocked with one finger. Mind you, thats one manly Cornish finger, not some poofy Yorkshire manicured digit.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Challenge on Nicholas !

You bring your meek castrated Airking and I'll bring my Northern "He Bull" Airking and we'll cock them all day if needs be and well see who has the Manicured Diget !
    Get ready, I'm in training now !
    “An airgun or two”………

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Challenge on Nicholas !

You bring your meek castrated Airking and I'll bring my Northern "He Bull" Airking and we'll cock them all day if needs be and well see who has the Manicured Diget !
    Get ready, I'm in training now !
    Or put it on ticket, fit a Maxi kit, use heay pellets and put holes in the bucket.
    God rest ye jelly mental men