Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Talk to me about the Diana 54 Airking...

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Interesting set up but 11.5 ft/lb would be to close for comfort for me with a 54 it wouldn't take much for it to go over and I was just wondering about the legality of controling the power with breech seals instead of the spring.
    There's no legal issue with keeping the power down via the breech seal as opposed to the spring, but like you I would prefer a safer margin, considering that the range of power output just from using different pellets can be as much as 2 ft/lb.
    Good deals with these members

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    There's no legal issue with keeping the power down via the breech seal as opposed to the spring, but like you I would prefer a safer margin, considering that the range of power output just from using different pellets can be as much as 2 ft/lb.
    What I was thinking was (not that anyone would want to) but for example if someone had a 80 and the power was just over would it be leagle to dig your nail in the breech seal to bring the power down or just fit a leaky seal?

What I was thinking was (not that anyone would want to) but for example if someone had a 80 and the power was just over would it be leagle to dig your nail in the breech seal to bring the power down or just fit a leaky seal?
    If your airgun was ever seized and tested, the police would test it 'as is' - they wouldn't change breech seals and the like. So yes, as long as it chronos at under 12 ft/lb, it doesn't really matter how and why it is doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    If your airgun was ever seized and tested, the police would test it 'as is' - they wouldn't change breech seals and the like. So yes, as long as it chronos at under 12 ft/lb, it doesn't really matter how and why it is doing so.
    I think you are probably right, but I just feel more comfortable controling the power with the spring

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    I was about to run mine over the Chrony today, got the gear out then it started raining !
    May try later if it dries up ?
    Range day Wednesday !
    “An airgun or two”………

I like semi recoiling spring rifles but the 'problem' for me as a lefty of the RH placement of the cocking lever puts me off a bit. The actual cocking effort doesn't bother me much-after all I am 'Eliminator trained'.!!

When everything is considered is it 'better' than the TX200SR which at the moment is my only semi recoiling springer. On the power front will it be any better than an FAC HW80??
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post

When everything is considered is it 'better' than the TX200SR which at the moment is my only semi recoiling springer. On the power front will it be any better than an FAC HW80??
    It's 'better' in the sense of actually being in-production and available If the TX200SR was available I would certainly have considered it.
    Though it is capable of FAC power that's not why I bought it (though as I said before I do like the idea of an airgun just 'ticking over' at UK power levels)

As I've said earlier, as a southpaw it is tricky to cock and I'm still working on the best technique. Looking at recent Youtube clips featuring another Diana "beast" the 56TH, the (right handed) shooter stands the rifle vertical with the butt in his lap and pulls down on the right sided cocking lever with his right hand which seems natural to him !
    I'm trying to do the same which is better than the "standing operation" I described earlier in the thread.
    I do have another issue which is I'm left handed at throwing etc. with much more strength in my left arm, using my right is not easy but I will persist !
    Using my "normal" underlevers; TX200SR, 2x TX's, HW 77 and Airsporters are not a problem as I can switch arms for cocking.

As for the TX200SR, I have a lefty .22 Mk. 2 currently "in dock" for a service but I too have used that air rifle as a yardstick and with respect to the short time I shot it, I'd say its definetly easier to cock than the Airking and is even smoother in respect of recoil or "lack of" !

The Airking however is .177 cal. which may or may not be a factor ?
    Last edited by Blackrider; 20-02-2017 at 03:14 PM.
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    As I've said earlier, as a southpaw it is tricky to cock and I'm still working on the best technique. Looking at recent Youtube clips featuring another Diana "beast" the 56TH, the (right handed) shooter stands the rifle vertical with the butt in his lap and pulls down on the right sided cocking lever with his right hand which seems natural to him !
    I'm trying to do the same which is better than the "standing operation" I described earlier in the thread.
    I do have another issue which is I'm left handed at throwing etc. with much more strength in my left arm, using my right is not easy but I will persist !
    Using my "normal" underlevers; TX200SR, 2x TX's, HW 77 and Airsporters are not a problem as can switch arms for cocking.

As for the TX200SR, I have a lefty .22 Mk. 2 currently "in dock" for a service but I too have used that air rifle as a yardstick and with respect to the short time I shot it, I'd say its definetly easier to cock than the Airking and is even smoother in respect of recoil or "lack of" !

The Airking however is .177 cal.
    I guess if you have been looking at the 54 YouTube videos you have seen this old one the .177 being used at full power looks easy to cock when sitting.
    https://youtu.be/P90MgB7kC6g

I guess if you have been looking at the 54 YouTube videos you have seen this old one the .177 being used at full power looks easy to cock when sitting.
    https://youtu.be/P90MgB7kC6g
    Yup, he makes it look easy !
    Thanks for that !
    Interesting that he was using Wadcutters, I've not tried any as yet but may do !
    “An airgun or two”………

Took the Airking out into the garden this morning with the intention to check its power output but the Chrony packed in ! (See earlier Thread on here)
    Got "One" reading of 757.6 with JSB Exacts @ 8.44grn which gives 10.76 ft lbs but that means nothing !

On the plus side, the cocking's now much easiler and the scope and dampa mount combo appears to be working nice with a one hole grouping bench (5 shots) rested at 15 yards !
    “An airgun or two”………

Update.
    Had the gun to the range yesterday. Its now had approx. 400 assorted pellets through it and appears to be settling down nicely.
    The Dampa mount is fine as was the Simmons Pro Air.
    I'm getting good groups of 10/12mm at 33 yards with both AADF 4.52 and JSB Exacts 4.52 but with the odd flyer.
    I'll probably continue to try other pellet brands over the coming weeks.

Today I've swapped the Pro Air for a lighter Simmons WTC 3.5-10x40 which has cut down on the weight a little, the cocking is becoming easier as I get acquainted with this operation !

All in all, I'm enjoying this air rifle !
    “An airgun or two”………

I currently have a .177 54
    My piston and comp tube is away getting sleeved down to.22mm and will be running a skirtless piston.
    A friends 56 is running a 20mm skirtless piston.
    The action only moves back 4mm now on firing.
    5mm with 22mm set up .
    Accuracy at 55 yards with jsb 4.51s is amazing his groups are in the link below
    http://s833.photobucket.com/user/val...library/target

Very good shooting. If there's not a run on 54's already, there soon will be. Good advertisement for them.

Quote Originally Posted by valboskie View Post
    I currently have a .177 54
    My piston and comp tube is away getting sleeved down to.22mm and will be running a skirtless piston.
    A friends 56 is running a 20mm skirtless piston.
    The action only moves back 4mm now on firing.
    5mm with 22mm set up .
    Accuracy at 55 yards with jsb 4.51s is amazing his groups are in the link below
    http://s833.photobucket.com/user/val...library/target
    Very impressive, wouldn't mind similar !
    “An airgun or two”………