Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sterling HR81

Hellequin is offline I used to be indecisive.....

Sterling HR81

Gents,

I was in a local dealers today and saw on the rack an unusual looking air rifle. The tag stated 'Sterling HR81 .22 calibre' and it's in on private sale for another customer. The RFD didn't know too much about it, other than he'd not had one through the door before!

I was intrigued that it had an underlever but also a bolt action loading system so I've done a google search but even that doesn't provide much info, other than to say who made them and when.

Condition wise it's not bad. It's scoped up but as the open sights. It's in what I assume to be a Beech stock (decent condition) and the bluing whilst not pristine isn't bad; no rust etc. Price on the tag was £320....

So, has/does anyone here own one? What do they shoot like and, other than the rarity, are they actually worth that sort of money?
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Ok so I've just done a quick search on here....

It seems the consensus is that they're quite collectible but better left 'mint in box' as they shoot, well, crap.

I think I'll be leaving that one on the shelf, especially at £320. If anyone is interested, it's with Philip Webster Gunsmith in Wymondham. As I said it's on a commission sale so I'm guessing Philip didn't set the price and it may be negotiable...
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

I was given model HR83 which has a walnut stock. The rifle was designed by the engineer Roy Hutchinson now sadly no longer with us, it was built by Sterling Arms at Dagenham. The rifle is a strange affair it has to be said with a transfer port with more angles than a set square. Mine did belong to an old friend who died 10 years ago this year. I couldn't sell it, it means to much to me. I suppose its a lovely old eccentric British rifle where solid steel is mated with a chunky walnut stock.
    I only fired it the once and it was like a musket only with a slower lock time

I have one which i bought from new in 1983. Serial 3906. Based on what you've been saying I wish i'd kept the box.
    Beech stock - and a true Sterling HR81 (not later sheridan/beeman clone). I liked it because it should have been a very good gun with an underlever (my Feinwerkbau break barrel had suffered after being dropped by a mate from my bedroom window!!! Idiot!!!) and fixed barrel. Loved the bolt action for loading too...
    ...but somehow it always felt too 'clangy'. Still despatched its fair share of pigeon from the garden.

Nowadays: well - you'd tweak it with delrin tophats, wonky donky springs, etc. I never bothered - and now i have the best modern underlevers anyway (TX200HC and a Prosport), as well as a mid 50's Webley Mk3, and two beautiful BSAs from 1907 and 1921 respectively.

Come to think of it: i haven't shot the Sterling for (literally) decades.
    Anyone interested? Send me a PM

Interesting! The rifle is definitely 'different' and probably worth having just for that aspect to some folk. It did seem very solidly built and the eccentricity of design adds to it I suppose, from a collecting point of view at least.

The serial number on this one is 4 digits beginning 22** so I guess it'd be slightly earlier than 1983. If I had the 'spare' dosh I might be inclined to haggle for it, but I'm in the process of getting both an old HW35 and a Mercury S this month, so it'll likely not be going in my gun rack....o
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

I think two in the hand are probably better than 'one-in-the-bush'. And both will probably shoot better than the Sterling in its current 'un-touched' state. It IS well made, and very distinctive though. So just keep it in your bucket list for later. I doubt it is going anywhere fast for the moment.

There is one in good condition in Tal Arms Christchurch.
    For less than £320.

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    I own no less than three. An original HR81, a Benjamin built HR83, and an 81 in a walnut stock. Several threads on here worth looking at. Beautifully engineered, but does not really shine as a shooter. Triumph of engineering over aesthetics, very British.

Might have another look at the one in Tal.

I rather liked it but the Internet doesn't.

But if you have 3 they must be worth a go!

Quote Originally Posted by ogilkes View Post
    I own no less than three. An original HR81, a Benjamin built HR83, and an 81 in a walnut stock. Several threads on here worth looking at. Beautifully engineered, but does not really shine as a shooter. Triumph of engineering over aesthetics, very British.
    That sums it up for me, though I would say very well made rather than beautifully engineered - the trigger is hardly a paragon of design, for example.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    and the twang... my god, my ears are still ringing from when I shot one 15 years ago...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

They were hyped and sold hard at the time as British. Quality was there, quirkiness too, but sadly added nothing to basic spring power that could be got from more standard format guns. If it couldn't equal a HW77 then it was never going to be a winner... so it failed. As said some were produced in the States from bankrupt machinery.

Anyhow they are worth collecting, well having one really good example. A few were done in very nice walnut. Quality built but a Theoben betters them. They are not an engineering feat like an Air Logic, or Park. There are enough out there not to warrant any real premium, and as very average shooters there is nothing gained from being a good rifle.

Mint in box walnut then £320. Anything else in freefall. Used then as a fun gun £150. For some reason people think they are worthy as a collectors premium; they are not. Nor the American ones.
    Well thats my angle on them.

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    Interesting point there. The designer was Roy Hutchinson, who then went on to design the Park. A suggestive progression of ideas. But Roy gave up on airguns, though I know that he left behind him an unproduced prototype. Always wondered what that one was.

I just like them for their build quality, though it is true the trigger is not good, and the whole thing is quirky. But picking one up just feels good. Yes if after a shooter of the era go HW77. If after something intriguing HR81. That said they do tend to be overpriced imho. About £150-160 for a decent unboxed example is about right.

Quote Originally Posted by ogilkes View Post
    Interesting point there. The designer was Roy Hutchinson, who then went on to design the Park. A suggestive progression of ideas. But Roy gave up on airguns, though I know that he left behind him an unproduced prototype. Always wondered what that one was.

I just like them for their build quality, though it is true the trigger is not good, and the whole thing is quirky. But picking one up just feels good. Yes if after a shooter of the era go HW77. If after something intriguing HR81. That said they do tend to be overpriced imho. About £150-160 for a decent unboxed example is about right.
    Interesting that the designer also designed the Park. I've owned both and there is to me very little similarity between the 2 rifles. One is excellent the other is a pile of -almost-junk.
    Trying to be fair I would describe the Sterling HR81 as a very ordinary rifle in every way but concede that it isn't that common. However even for a collector a price of over £300 is to me utterly ridiculous.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Well I'm going to come out as well, and say that I like Sterling's. I too have three of them, 2 x HR81's (one of each calibre) and an HR83 in a left hand Walnut stock ( I have never heard of another one??)

They are very quirky, but I love the loading tube set on top of the compression cylinder, which gives a "head up" type position to line up on the sights. Granted they are a bit twangy to fire ( I think they have a very long mainspring) however I think they are well worth a position in most collections. I think that the reason some are priced very highly by some shops is due to their comparative rarity compared to other 1980's guns.

Lakey