Thread: Sterling HR81

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hellequin is offline I used to be indecisive.....

Sterling HR81

Gents,

I was in a local dealers today and saw on the rack an unusual looking air rifle. The tag stated 'Sterling HR81 .22 calibre' and it's in on private sale for another customer. The RFD didn't know too much about it, other than he'd not had one through the door before!

I was intrigued that it had an underlever but also a bolt action loading system so I've done a google search but even that doesn't provide much info, other than to say who made them and when.

Condition wise it's not bad. It's scoped up but as the open sights. It's in what I assume to be a Beech stock (decent condition) and the bluing whilst not pristine isn't bad; no rust etc. Price on the tag was £320....

So, has/does anyone here own one? What do they shoot like and, other than the rarity, are they actually worth that sort of money?
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Ok so I've just done a quick search on here....

It seems the consensus is that they're quite collectible but better left 'mint in box' as they shoot, well, crap.

I think I'll be leaving that one on the shelf, especially at £320. If anyone is interested, it's with Philip Webster Gunsmith in Wymondham. As I said it's on a commission sale so I'm guessing Philip didn't set the price and it may be negotiable...
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

I was given model HR83 which has a walnut stock. The rifle was designed by the engineer Roy Hutchinson now sadly no longer with us, it was built by Sterling Arms at Dagenham. The rifle is a strange affair it has to be said with a transfer port with more angles than a set square. Mine did belong to an old friend who died 10 years ago this year. I couldn't sell it, it means to much to me. I suppose its a lovely old eccentric British rifle where solid steel is mated with a chunky walnut stock.
    I only fired it the once and it was like a musket only with a slower lock time

I have one which i bought from new in 1983. Serial 3906. Based on what you've been saying I wish i'd kept the box.
    Beech stock - and a true Sterling HR81 (not later sheridan/beeman clone). I liked it because it should have been a very good gun with an underlever (my Feinwerkbau break barrel had suffered after being dropped by a mate from my bedroom window!!! Idiot!!!) and fixed barrel. Loved the bolt action for loading too...
    ...but somehow it always felt too 'clangy'. Still despatched its fair share of pigeon from the garden.

Nowadays: well - you'd tweak it with delrin tophats, wonky donky springs, etc. I never bothered - and now i have the best modern underlevers anyway (TX200HC and a Prosport), as well as a mid 50's Webley Mk3, and two beautiful BSAs from 1907 and 1921 respectively.

Come to think of it: i haven't shot the Sterling for (literally) decades.
    Anyone interested? Send me a PM

Interesting! The rifle is definitely 'different' and probably worth having just for that aspect to some folk. It did seem very solidly built and the eccentricity of design adds to it I suppose, from a collecting point of view at least.

The serial number on this one is 4 digits beginning 22** so I guess it'd be slightly earlier than 1983. If I had the 'spare' dosh I might be inclined to haggle for it, but I'm in the process of getting both an old HW35 and a Mercury S this month, so it'll likely not be going in my gun rack....o
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

I think two in the hand are probably better than 'one-in-the-bush'. And both will probably shoot better than the Sterling in its current 'un-touched' state. It IS well made, and very distinctive though. So just keep it in your bucket list for later. I doubt it is going anywhere fast for the moment.