Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you wanted to buy just one CO2 blowback gun, what would it be?

Hellequin is offline I used to be indecisive.....
    Tanfoglio Witness for me. Had one previously and regret selling it. I had a Sig P226 too, which was good fun and pretty realistic especially weight & mag wise but it didn't cycle quite as reliably as the TFW. Both brilliant fun though
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Two TFWs for me. You know, just in case one breaks...

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by blooregard View Post
    The old ones got some great reviews from some well known people in the community, I've not met anyone in the flesh who thinks they are any good. Maybe I was expecting a lot more with it being made by Sig but I've not been able to find anything on them that resembled the quality you would expect, they are certainly no better made than any of hte KWC guns.

To be fair I canot comment on the new ones as I haven't handled one. If you are after a blowback pistol my thoughts are that a BB fed into the pipe and fired from the chamber is a lot better than a pellet in very thin revolving magazine firing from a different chamber every time and then having to jump to the barrel via a forcing cone.

The new one (ASP version) has a belt mag and has only just been announced https://www.sigsauer.com/press-relea...et-air-pistol/ I take it the earlier versions are the usual linear BB offerings?
    The trigger of the new model seems to be singled out for praise - the traditional failing of the the cheaper revolver-dressed-as-a-semi-auto offering.
    The fact its a proper pellet gun will make it much more interesting than the BB versions to many.
    Last edited by harvey_s; 10-02-2017 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    The new one (ASP version) has a belt mag and has only just been announced https://www.sigsauer.com/press-relea...et-air-pistol/ I take it the earlier versions are the usual linear BB offerings?
    The trigger of the new model seems to be singled out for praise - the traditional failing of the the cheaper revolver-dressed-as-a-semi-auto offering.
    The fact its a proper pellet gun will make it much more interesting than the BB versions to many.
    The old ones used the PX4 style mags.

Agreed, the trigger is definately the downfall of many a dressed up revolver and Sig do seem to have got that to work well on the MPX\MCX.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

Who's concluded that dude ?? I've not seen a review of it yet but it would fit in with my preconceptions based on the last bunch they made. It's a shame that being made by Sig they do not charge more for them and make them a lot better.

Well ok, to be pedantic, but a few people seem to be basing their views on "preconceptions" based on SiGs first foray into airguns. Ever heard of R&D, design improvement etc. Had I listened to all the tosh about the P-09 being bandied about I would have missed out on a very good pistol. Suffice to say I wait until something is actually available in the UK and yours truly can try it out in person before making a judgement.

Yep, they are pretty good. Locking out of battery and an open ejection port would add a great deal to them though, they are replicas after all. Different horses for different courses I suppose

You find me a CO2 pellet gun that locks out of battery and I'll send you a crisp fiverNo-one makes one, can't (it would appear) be done. As such I discount it from my expectations. The Umarex Beretta Storm has a cut out ejection port but is an inferior shooter to the ASG P-09. I'd rather have the better accuracy and function of the ASG

horses for courses, as you say...

The Umarex Walther P38 with battlefield finish would be my choice.

It has great looks, correct Walther markings, a realistic blowback action and accuracy to boot.

I've also enjoyed an Argie Bursa, which is a lovely compact pistol with surprisingly good accuracy. I'm hoping to borrow one soon from a friend for a proper test.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    The Umarex Walther P38 with battlefield finish would be my choice.

It has great looks, correct Walther markings, a realistic blowback action and accuracy to boot.

I've also enjoyed an Argie Bursa, which is a lovely compact pistol with surprisingly good accuracy. I'm hoping to borrow one soon from a friend for a proper test.

John
    Your experience is totally different to mine (P38).

I agree it really looks the business is a great weight and really feels the part - for me that is where it ends.

The slide return spring is truly feeble - yes the slide returns but only just and then rattles - but that is nothing compared to the trigger. I can honestly say it is the WORST trigger of any of my pistols and I have over 40. When not gassed up the trigger seems smooth enough despite the overlong pull. Once gassed up it feels like it is pushing through gravel and the weight is ridiculous - the first time I used it I thought it was broken as the effort needed is beyond belief. After the first shot the trigger moves slightly forward, clicks and you can fire the next shot but again the heaviness of the pull is just taking the mick. It has been returned under warranty but sent back to me saying it was normal.

DON"T BUY ONE.

It looks good on the wall but is only used to show people how truly dreadful it is.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
    Your experience is totally different to mine (P38).

I agree it really looks the business is a great weight and really feels the part - for me that is where it ends.

The slide return spring is truly feeble - yes the slide returns but only just and then rattles - but that is nothing compared to the trigger. I can honestly say it is the WORST trigger of any of my pistols and I have over 40. When not gassed up the trigger seems smooth enough despite the overlong pull. Once gassed up it feels like it is pushing through gravel and the weight is ridiculous - the first time I used it I thought it was broken as the effort needed is beyond belief. After the first shot the trigger moves slightly forward, clicks and you can fire the next shot but again the heaviness of the pull is just taking the mick. It has been returned under warranty but sent back to me saying it was normal.

DON"T BUY ONE.

It looks good on the wall but is only used to show people how truly dreadful it is.
    I agree on one of your points, in that your experience is totally different to mine!

I have had no issues with my slide, other than when I damaged the return spring. A replacement soon sorted that though. The trigger is no match unit but good enough to consistently topple tins at 12 yards or so and for the pistol to group well at closer distances.

I would recommend the P38 without hesitation.

Maybe the best advice is to try before you buy either at a club or shop with a range?

John

[QUOTE=blooregard;7192192]NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's a clickety clackety underpowered poorly made travesty of a gun with a stupid magazine. For me, Sig really tarnished their name with these.

Totally Disagree, very nicely made gun solid, hefty, balanced, nice trigger, good blowback action, consistent shooter, aim off a little , but what fixed sites aren't, good looking gun!
    Dual magazine functions great and loading C02 cartridge a breeze!
    You probably haven't even owned one! Why would you?
    Baikal MP654 MP53M IZH-46M LP53 CP88comp Alecto .177 LB, .22 Tempest .177, .22 Cr 2240 Weih HW45 HW45BS HW70 HW75 XSP180 Cometa Indian Hatsan25 Scorp MKII Benj Trail NP AVOKE Diana P5 Avanti747 * PLUS Over 70, Co2 BB/Pellet Pistols*

1911 all the way

Swiss Arms P1911, same gun as TF Witness, Remington 1911 RAC & TAC et al

Personally I like the older "cleaner" style rather the the newer "tactical" versions, I can't see the point of putting a red dot or a scope on something that's not THAT accurate.
    Brilliant fun - fire as fast as you can pull the trigger or take your time - just get one !

My tips - get extra mags, don't overfill. I fire with 8 rounds, that way the mag spring doesn't get stressed and the C02 recovers when fast shooting.
    Watch the targets and rebounds which can be deadly !! (get glasses maybe ?)

Quote Originally Posted by ejackyou View Post
    Totally Disagree, very nicely made gun solid, hefty, balanced, nice trigger, good blowback action, consistent shooter, aim off a little , but what fixed sites aren't, good looking gun!
    Dual magazine functions great and loading C02 cartridge a breeze!
    You probably haven't even owned one! Why would you?
    That's up to you dude, the world would be a boring place if we all agreed on everything.

No I haven't owned one. All of the ones I've shot were very toy like and put me off completely. Solid, hefty and a nice trigger are the last words I would use!!

Swiss Arms P1911, same gun as TF Witness, Remington 1911 RAC & TAC et al

Personally I like the older "cleaner" style rather the the newer "tactical" versions, I can't see the point of putting a red dot or a scope on something that's not THAT accurate.
    Brilliant fun - fire as fast as you can pull the trigger or take your time - just get one !

My tips - get extra mags, don't overfill. I fire with 8 rounds, that way the mag spring doesn't get stressed and the C02 recovers when fast shooting.
    Watch the targets and rebounds which can be deadly !! (get glasses maybe ?)
    You should try the red dot chap, scope is overkill but a red dot is great for fast shooting! I do exactly the same with my mags, load a few bbs and let them recover some heat. Once all 4 are empty I load them all up and off I go again.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by David22 View Post
    ...Watch the targets and rebounds which can be deadly !! (get glasses maybe ?)
    Make that Definitely get glasses, and keeping your mouth closed while shooting is probably a good idea too... even 6mm plastic BBs can destroy eyeballs and break teeth, and they are both frangible and low velocity.
    Steel BBs can ricochet like the devil and are hard and fast enough to do serious damage.
    Good deals with these members

You should try the red dot chap, scope is overkill but a red dot is great for fast shooting! I do exactly the same with my mags, load a few bbs and let them recover some heat. Once all 4 are empty I load them all up and off I go again.
    I'm open to that idea, was thinking of the Umarex M45 CQBP
    or is the Remington TAC as good and cheaper ? Assume you mount under the barrel ?

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by David22 View Post
    I'm open to that idea, was thinking of the Umarex M45 CQBP
    or is the Remington TAC as good and cheaper ? Assume you mount under the barrel ?
    You can only a mount a laser under the barrel - you wouldn't be able to see through a red dot sight
    Cheap lasers are available off the bay and the one I have is pretty amazing for under a fiver, but they are both only a gimmick in truth - open sights are all you need on a pistol.