Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trainer air rifle recommendations please

Trainer air rifle recommendations please

I just know this is asking for grief but here goes anyway

I need a rifle or two or even 3 or 4

Not for myself per se but to use as a intro and training rifle for young people whom I will be putting through a 6 month shooting course for their D of E (Duke of Edinburgh) skills section of the award.

I'm not really interested in 2nd hand unless all the same as I want some consistency in what they will be using. Scopes I can sort. They need to be...

Ambidextrous (preferably)
    Easy to use with a safety so probably break barrel.
    Have open sights with scope rail for later.
    Have the ability in the right hands to hit a 40mm Nockover target at 35 yards.
    Reasonable power (to hit those longer range targets) again in the right hands.
    Budget - this is a voluntary project so low cost is very important.
    Easy to service in the event of breakages.
    Suitably sized to allow both junior (14/15 year olds) to handle and still be acceptable to adult shooters, say on a "have a go range" or club induction.

Ideally, you will own or at least have tried your suggested rifle.

"If" I had been asking many years ago I would be considering such classic as BSA Meteors and Supersports, HW30/35's and not to leave them out, some of the smaller Webleys. Now, with a couple of the above being owned by other companies I have no idea what their performance is like.

Over to the collective for hopefully some good advice please, if you have experience of suitable "budget" guns.

Thanks in advance.

Bob
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

BARPC

Basingstoke Air Rifle & Pistol Club. Founded 1975

Hw30 all day long
    Donald

My thoughts would be contact the manufacturers and distributors of airguns and simply outline what you are doing and ask if they can help in anyway.

I would also contact the ATEO, think thats the initials airgun training speak to Dave Mills to see if they can help at all. Pop along to the shooting show over the weekend they'll be running the have a go area.

Sorry not a recommendation if any specific kit as such but advice on getting started.

Matt

For your particular needs , I would strongly recommend the hw 99s. Refined firing cycle, built to last , simple to maintain, and at less than £200.00. as a trainer it would tick all my boxes. Maybe dearer than say , a Remington express, but would have better re- sale value, and in this instance for me it would be a no brainier.I am sure a good RFD could do you an excellent deal ( perhaps 4 for the price of 3 ?). Good luck with your quest.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    HW30s, 99s, gamo CF-20/30/CFX (very safe)
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I can knock over 40 yard targets with my stoeger. It's ambidextrous, break barrel, auto safety and synthetic stock which can take a bit of abuse.

Granted it will never be weirauch accuracy, but it also didnt need fixing out of the box to make it shoot ok

Also when I was 14 I wouldn't have known the difference

Sorry, I'm not really able to provide a recommendation but...

I'm sure there are outdoor centres / activity providers that offer air rifle shooting so it would be interesting to see what they use.

I would be surprised if it was anything from Weihrauch.

Given the age of the students, something lightish might be wise so I'd be thinking plastic rather than wooden stocks. For me, plastic also has the advantage of being something that I wouldn't be too precious about. A dink in a plastic stock doesn't elicit the same sharp intake of breath from me when compared to a dink in a wooden stock.

Yes, I know we all want a lovely trigger, but how important is that for this application?

Having said no recommendations, the only rifle I've owned that might fit the bill is the 900x (yes, I know, I've just contradicted one of my points above) or a plastic variant. Cheap, light, accurate and a proper rifle. I also shot a Webley VMX once which wasn't awful and I reckon I've tried the odd plastic Hatsan as well which also wasn't awful.

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    HW30s, 99s, gamo CF-20/30/CFX (very safe)
    Agreed. And HW57 (very safe). Also consider full-length Diana 31/34. Or, though I hate to say this, the better Chinese Diana copies.

What about the 'Walther Terrus' available in a synthetic stocked version, people keep suggesting the '99S' even with its ill fated cocking linkage, I'd be reluctant to put money on one that's for sure...

Thanks for the replies so far chaps, I'll start looking at some of those suggestions.

Anyone know what the BSA's are like?

Bob
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

BARPC

Basingstoke Air Rifle & Pistol Club. Founded 1975

Quote Originally Posted by Prone Shooter View Post
    Thanks for the replies so far chaps, I'll start looking at some of those suggestions.

Bob
    No idea (sorry) but without wishing to insult the intelligence of the students; at the age of 14 I'd be over-awed by the fact that someone was willing to trust me with an air rifle and train me (well done for stepping-up) regardless of whether it's plastic, wood , Gamo or Air Arms. I suppose what I'm saying is that I wouldn't get too involved with choosing the perfect rifle. It's not what you want to shoot, it's about what the students / punters need to achieve their goal.

Having said that, I did see a school minibus from on of our local, prestigious, independent schools at the range the other day. I bet they weren't shooting Gamos. Possbily not shooting air rifles at all!

I'd be going for whatever's reliable, does the job and fits the budget which in my head puts me well within the sub - £150 category.

Look to be of good quality, I handled one at my local gun shop the other day and I must admit I was quite taken with it although I'll admit to being slightly biased as I've always liked the look of em...

Not sure what they shoot like these days though as I've not had the pleasure, hopefully they've sorted the QC issues of a decade or so back and are of a standard more befitting of such a prestigious name in the world of airguns...

I had one of the original 'Lightning's' back when they first came out some 17/18yrs ago, good rifle, I shot it so much it literally disintegrated in the end, must of put 25-30 tins of pellets through that little rifle, hit its mark every time, without fail...

Ps, it was a 'Supersport' by the way, complete with open sights as well, seriously considering it as a first rifle for my 13yr old boy, and a fun gun for me of course...
    Last edited by TORNADOS7; 09-02-2017 at 11:41 PM.

Bob

BSA are good at supporting things like this

If I can help by ordering them at trade for you just say the word but I suspect a manufacturer may help you out
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by Prone Shooter View Post

Bob
    I know the new meteor is a nice gun ,at a very good price, but I have never fired one ( yet). From experience I know the BSA needs a tiny bit more skill to strip it down, but then you will have a two year warranty on them should you have an issue. Actually, thinking about it, the BSA could be a very good ,and less expensive choice.

The new BSA Meteors are effectively Gamo. I've had a couple in as projects and I must say the trigger's are improving (I think they have the trigger type before the SAT's which is currently fitted). Other than that I found it okay to cock, with an ABT fitted (not bad for learners) and got okay groupings. The .177's I had were doing about 11fpe. Oh, they have tru-glow opens as well.