Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Webley & Scott Service - The Holy Grail?

Quote Originally Posted by SRV1 View Post
    Oh no Yana, are you sure?...Does this mean my Red Alert needs to recategorised to Grey? And, I was just getting excited too......

Will update later......
    If I was looking for an elegant pre-war vintage air rifle to shoot, it would undoubtedly be a Lincoln Jeffries / BSA rather than a Mk2 Service. These are cheaper to buy and a pleasure to own and shoot, but lack the individuality and quirkiness of the Mk2 Service.

You pays your money...

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    How very dare you.
    The truth hurts.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    Its not desireable.
    Its subjective.
    I own many webleys but wouldnt want a Service.
    It ug-leeeeeeeeee

You need to go to Specsavers.

My mate has just bought one. Mk 2 series 3. The guy who owned it worked for Webley. His son was selling it as he needed the cash. It really is impressive. Looks like the day it was made. The blueing is the deepest I've ever seen. The walnut stock is like a lump of marble and totally unmarked. From what you can see of the internals, they look unused. Unfortunately, it only has the .22 barrel. It's not my cup of tea, but I must admit, it it quite magnificent.

mk2

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    Its not desireable.
    Its subjective.
    I own many webleys but wouldnt want a Service.
    It ug-leeeeeeeeee
    Have you looked in the mirror lately.The pot calling the Kettle black.

Never had one. Thought about it, but a bit spendy these days.

They are, however, just cool, in the same slightly Heath Robinson way as Mauser C96s.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I got one a while back. They don't shoot half as nice as the older BSA underlevers; the design is a bit flawed. But they have a cool attraction.

Going to do a little internal work on mine see if I can smooth things out a bit.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

The Service was one of the first vintage airguns I bought as a teenager after saving up for ages - one look and I was smitten. If you can look at it and not want one, you definitely don't see the world as I do. Such a beautifully balanced design, with the barrel-cocking simplicity of the Webley pistols, and so well made.

I was always a little disappointed with the performance, to be honest, but I know John Milewski and others have found them to be accurate, so the problem was mine, not the gun's. Like others here, I've found the contemporary but rather less elegant 1930s BSAs superior as shooting tools.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

mk2

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    The Service was one of the first vintage airguns I bought as a teenager after saving up for ages - one look and I was smitten. If you can look at it and not want one, you definitely don't see the world as I do. Such a beautifully balanced design, with the barrel-cocking simplicity of the Webley pistols, and so well made.

I was always a little disappointed with the performance, to be honest, but I know John Milewski and others have found them to be accurate, so the problem was mine, not the gun's. Like others here, I've found the contemporary but rather less elegant 1930s BSAs superior as shooting tools.
    I agree entirely . Iam sure they were made to be looked at and gloated over and admired rather than used ha, ha.
    Roly.

I aspired to own a Service for some time before Josie found one at a Winchester arms fair many years ago. The rifle was fitted with a non matching but original .177 barrel and Jo's sharp eye soon found the original matching barrel at the opposite end of the dealer's table. That was the best £250 I had ever spent up to that point and I still have the rifle with its two barrels.

The Service handles completely differently to a BSA underlever or more conventional break barrel air rifle. There is far less weight up front for instance but the rifle is accurate. It requires a little more concentration on follow through due to the lighter weight but perseverance will be rewarded with accurate results.

One of the true classics in my view. The Service was under valued if anything for years but I think they are worth a little bit extra. How many other air rifles have such a quick barrel change, a choice of two sights and a working bolt as standard? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I have always found the Service among the best looking of all airguns.

John

Many thanks to Binners for the Protek heads up and apologies to Abasmajor (Brian) for not heeding his sound and experienced advice......sorry Brian, I hope not to regret it, and the severe warning from Yana too was not heeded. Apologies also for bringing the Airsporter into disrepute, I don't think I should have gone there.....it could well have caused some grumbles and conflict within this reputable and close knit excellent and credible community of knowledge and expertise. As apprentice to this collecting lark, I hope I won't be sent to Madam Cane for correction, though I deserve it sometimes........

I have done the dirty deed with Protek, my life will never be the same; broken and pennyless. It was a most pleasurable experience indeed for us both and all done on the 'phone.

It is a shame that I have lost contact with that delightful lady mentioned in "Bargain of a Lifetime", she would have given me one for nothing....maybe two or more. But there we have it, done and dusted, a MK2 to arrive next week.

I can recommend the services of Protek, one will not be disappointed.

Anyway, getting into this modern new technology lark, not like the old days of begging, I have set up a fantastic application available to anyone! Yes, brilliant - It is titled "Go Fund Me Buy a W&S Mk2" any and all donations welcome......

Best regards to all and many thanks Protek.....

I got a really good one for £150 about six or seven years ago Knowing it was worth a lot more I PXed it at BAR for a brand new Thumbhole Theoben Evo Which was a Total load of Shite
    I should have just kept it
    I think I have a picture of it here Somewhere I will go look !

Here it is !
    Last edited by mallyally; 11-02-2017 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SRV1 View Post
    Many thanks to Binners for the Protek heads up and apologies to Abasmajor (Brian) for not heeding his sound and experienced advice......sorry Brian, I hope not to regret it, and the severe warning from Yana too was not heeded. Apologies also for bringing the Airsporter into disrepute, I don't think I should have gone there.....it could well have caused some grumbles and conflict within this reputable and close knit excellent and credible community of knowledge and expertise. As apprentice to this collecting lark, I hope I won't be sent to Madam Cane for correction, though I deserve it sometimes........

I have done the dirty deed with Protek, my life will never be the same; broken and pennyless. It was a most pleasurable experience indeed for us both and all done on the 'phone.

It is a shame that I have lost contact with that delightful lady mentioned in "Bargain of a Lifetime", she would have given me one for nothing....maybe two or more. But there we have it, done and dusted, a MK2 to arrive next week.

I can recommend the services of Protek, one will not be disappointed.

Anyway, getting into this modern new technology lark, not like the old days of begging, I have set up a fantastic application available to anyone! Yes, brilliant - It is titled "Go Fund Me Buy a W&S Mk2" any and all donations welcome......

Best regards to all and many thanks Protek.....
    Hello,

Congratulations on your new acquisition which I'm sure you won't regret. I too have always found Protek to be very helpful and knowledgeable when it comes vintage air guns. Don't forget to update us with some details regarding your Mk2 and your first impressions when you finally get to try it out for yourself.

JM's above advice should be heeded when shooting the Mk2 as it isn't quite as forgiving as the early BSAs.

Regards

Brian

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post
    I got a really good one for £150 about six or seven years ago Knowing it was worth a lot more I PXed it at BAR for a brand new Thumbhole Theoben Evo Which was a Total load of Shite
    I should have just kept it
    I think I have a picture of it here Somewhere I will go look !

Here it is !
    Hi do you know what the serial number was on the Service, as it is a 3rd series. but with a safty catch fitted.

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    Hi do you know what the serial number was on the Service, as it is a 3rd series. but with a safty catch fitted.
    No Idea Mate ! But it Did shoot better than the Theoben