Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Webley & Scott Service - The Holy Grail?

Hello,

I would stand by my earlier statement that if I could only have one classic air rifle which I wanted to shoot regularly, it would be a BSA Improved Mod D.

The Mk2 Service and BSA rifles both have their own unique qualities however, so go ahead and treat yourself to both. You can't neglect the post-war era though which will then mean the further addition of a MK1 BSA Airsporter and a Webley Mk3.

Hope you now realise that this is only the beginning. I console myself with the knowledge that we will rarely lose out financially if we have chosen well and will have had the pleasure of ownership until it's time to reluctantly downsize.

Regards

Brian

Abasmajor (Brian) wise words indeed - I hope Binners doesn't give a heads up for a while though.....
    Best regards...

Well, it arrived yesterday in safe and sound condition due to robust packing by Protek - many thanks Protek!

It is in excellent condition as described retaining virtually all of its bluing, just slight browning to the cylinder where held. The stock has just a few minor marks. Not tested yet, but I am delighted.

The serial number is S1281 and barrel is 0.22. There is no trigger safety on this example. It has "L" peep sight, the aperture having a little slop or movement. The milled adjustment wheel on the open rear sight will not turn at the moment, I do not want to force it - I'll try some penetrating fluid. On locking the breech bolt, it easily touches the cylinder, I presume that only light pressure is needed before it "bottoms out" making a sufficient seal, maybe the sealing washer needs replacing. The little spring on the intercepting sear appears very weak. All screw heads are fine. Apart from the slight issues above, I am happy with it. Any suggestions regarding the above are most welcome.

Many thanks again to Protek and the members of this forum that have responded to this thread.

This is the last, the real last, I mean it this time - the really last, no more collecting....

Best regards to all....
    Last edited by SRV1; 17-02-2017 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Minor correction...

Quote Originally Posted by SRV1 View Post
    Well, it arrived yesterday in safe and sound condition due to robust packing by Protek - many thanks Protek!

It is in excellent condition as described retaining virtually all of its bluing, just slight browning to the cylinder where held. The stock has just a few minor marks. Not tested yet, but I am delighted.

The serial number is S1281 and barrel is 0.22. There is no trigger safety on this example. It has "L" peep sight, the aperture having a little slop or movement. The milled adjustment wheel on the open rear sight will not turn at the moment, I do not want to force it - I'll try some penetrating fluid. On locking the breech bolt, it easily touches the cylinder, I presume that only light pressure is needed before it "bottoms out" making a sufficient seal, maybe the sealing washer needs replacing. The little spring on the intercepting sear appears very weak. All screw heads are fine. Apart from the slight issues above, I am happy with it. Any suggestions regarding the above are most welcome.

Many thanks again to Protek and the members of this forum that have responded to this thread.

This is the last, the real last, I mean it this time - the really last, no more collecting.... until the next time

Best regards to all....
    I think you've answered your own question regarding the breech washer.
    The weak spring on the interceptor sear is easy enough to replace, just make sure you have a small diameter pin punch to drift out the sear pin.

This is the last, the real last, I mean it this time - the really last, no more collecting....

Best regards to all....

I am pleased and relieved that you are happy with it, not unusual for the peep sight wheel to be tight as not many people use them on the 1st and 2nd series (3rd series were much better)
    The springs on the top sear are easily replaced and I have known pen springs used The breech seal often wears because people tend to store the rifle with the barrel locked tight. I keep the roll over half turned.
    Last one eh, Have you got a mk1 rifle or First series service then

Hey Binners, your heads up has caused me to go to the food bank for a week or so, I will miss Fortnum and Masons......No more heads up for a while though please, unless it comes with a severe warning.

The aperture adjustment is fine, though the peep can rotate very slightly on its axis. It is the open rear adjustment that appear to tight to turn by hand, I will apply some penetration liquid and see how it goes.

Thanks Troubleshooter regarding the intercepting sear, I have a range of punches and will source a suitable spring.

Not looked on any strip guides yet, if any exist - I presume the breech seal is carefully removed with a pick tool or jewelers screwdriver? I haven't even looked at Chambers yet to check seal availability, but, will get round to it in the future like; shortening the barrel (a carbine version will be great), buttoning the piston, ox-spring and even tapping and drilling the side of the cylinder to mount brackets for a scope.......Good tip on the breech bolt roll over storing position....

All the best to all....
    Last edited by SRV1; 17-02-2017 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Minor correction....

Hey Binners, your heads up has caused me to go to the food bank for a week or so, I will miss Fortnum and Masons......No more heads up for a while though please, unless it comes with a severe warning.

The aperture adjustment is fine, though the peep can rotate very slightly on its axis. It is the open rear adjustment that appear to tight to turn by hand, I will apply some penetration liquid and see how it goes.

Thanks Troubleshooter regarding the intercepting sear, I have a range of punches and will source a suitable spring.

Not looked on any strip guides yet, if any exist - I presume the breech seal is carefully removed with a pick tool or jewelers screwdriver? I haven't even looked at Chambers yet to check seal availability, but, will get round to it in the future like; shortening the barrel (a carbine version will be great), buttoning the piston, ox-spring and even tapping and drilling the side of the cylinder to mount brackets for a scope.......Good tip on the breech bolt roll over storing position....

All the best to all....
    I presume you are jesting about the proposed modifications.

Hi Troubleshooter!

Being as she is doing 11.95ftlbs and 2" groupings at 80 yards, I'm having second thoughts about those serious improvements.......I love this clanky old machine!

All the best to all on this brilliant forum.....

i have a cased carbine service,it's worn throughout but still does what it's supposed to do with no probs,

Hi Troubleshooter!

Being as she is doing 11.95ftlbs and 2" groupings at 80 yards, I'm having second thoughts about those serious improvements.......I love this clanky old machine!

All the best to all on this brilliant forum.....
    Is it April 1st already.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    Is it April 1st already.
    Maybe another tongue in cheek comment from the original poster.

I believe Webley quoted something around 500 fps for the .22 calibre rifle in their later advertising which with an average 12grn .22 pellet would equate to something nearer 7ft/lbs.

Chris Thrale discusses the 80 yd ranges sometimes quoted for the Mk2 Service in his book and concludes that it probably came from an estimation of the distance across the area used for testing in the Webley factory.

My own .25 Mk2 Service produces around 450 fps with Rhino pellets and will group into 2" at 30 yds on a good day.

Brian