Thread: Sheridan screw size??

Sheridan screw size??

Can I tap into the communal knowlege please?

On the earlier Blue streaks (this one is a '63), the rear sight was held on be two tiny grubscrews.
    These are about 1/8" dia.

Anyone know what size thread they are, and perhaps where to buy two (or more) new?

Thanks in advance.
    Phil
    NON SUFFICIT ORBIS

think they're 6-32 I've one off my 64 model in my Sheridan parts box will look for it later today

5-40 mate which is a ballache size original grub screws are Bristol head not hex head my advice is to re thread them to take 6-40 grub screws

Aah, I forgot how much fun American threads can be.

Thanks chaps.
    NON SUFFICIT ORBIS

I'm going to re-tap 1/8" Whit. Near as damnit, and the screws are £2 for 10 delivered on e**y.

I'd never heard of Bristol fasteners. We're never too old to learn something. That's an encyclopedic knowlege you have there Ped. Respected.

Thanks to all.
    NON SUFFICIT ORBIS

Can't say that I ever looked at it that closely, but, the Sheridan and Benjamin screw sizes are typically non-standard size and difficult to impossible to find outside of company supplied. The engineering prints for the Sheridan (other than the A and B) have never surfaced. The way manufacturing worked at Benjamin, and I suspect also at Sheridan, is that as many of the parts are built by outside contract manufacturers, including the screws. The goal was to have no part production in house, manufacturing consisted of individual assembly with each worker assembling a complete gun from start to finish. This was done as a quality control measure; if a particular assembler was messing up, he would be quickly identified.

On the other hand, good old Crosman tended to use standard thread sizes and had no problem procuring screws on the open market, so, you see standard off-the-shelf screws specified. Crosman also tended to produce most of their parts in house. Production was mostly assembly line with workers using specialized tooling to do one specific job.

In their manufacturing philosophy, Benjamin and Crosman were about as different as can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B View Post
    I'm going to re-tap 1/8" Whit. Near as damnit, and the screws are £2 for 10 delivered on e**y.

I'd never heard of Bristol fasteners. We're never too old to learn something. That's an encyclopedic knowlege you have there Ped. Respected.

Thanks to all.
    same tpi just a 55*pitch as opposed to the 60* unified
    i do like my old crosman sheridans and bengy's

Quote Originally Posted by --ped-- View Post
    same tpi just a 55*pitch as opposed to the 60* unified
    i do like my old crosman sheridans and bengy's
    Agreed, both technically and emotionally. 😊
    NON SUFFICIT ORBIS