Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gasrams - Scope Killers?

Gasrams - Scope Killers?

Myth or not?
    A scope has died on my Sirocco (early low pressure version), it was an old 2nd hand scope, so unsure of its previous life.

I have read that a way to improve a gasram is to ensure the piston seal it a nice tight fit, as to minimise the piston slam, as it could be the forward re-coil that scopes are not designed for?

Any ideas on what else can improve the dynamics?

Thanks!
    Thanks - Geoff.

No idea, but my Nikko has been fine on my HW90. Also bought used. It was on the rifle when I got it and the rifle's four years old.

HTH,

Rob.

Depends if it's set up properly, just like a springer, a badly set up springer can rattle scopes to bits too!

I have two rifles running aftermarket rams which are supposed to be the worst, one has been in the rifle with the same scope for almost ten years, the other has been in for approx. seven, both rifles have hawk scopes on them.

I have a 90TB with a Falcon 4-14×44, before that I had a Hawke on the rifle, both have been fine, no problems at all.

I've never had a scope fail on a rammer and used various makes, Hawke, Simmons etc.
    Regards,
    Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Artfull-Bodger View Post
    Depends if it's set up properly, just like a springer, a badly set up springer can rattle scopes to bits too!

Thanks. What's the setup that is good / bad?
    Is it reducing piston slam, and how to cure that on a low pressure ram.

Ps, don't need to know what the setup is if there has been no issues.
    Only need to know known issue rifles, and what has been done to overcome the issue.
    Thanks - Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgeoff View Post

Only need to know known issue rifles, and what has been done to overcome the issue.
    Shooting 10-10.5 ftlbs instead of wringing 11.899999 out of it and or maybe using a damper mount.
    Never had an issue with my evo with STD sportsman have double strap mounts... but have had long chats with people that claim (and I think genuinely) that they have. I think as boger says it's all down to how the rifle is set.
    Atb
    Rhys
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

I've yet to have a scope fail on a gasram, probably had ten combos over the years. Basically they are half as bad as a springer.
    Scopes failing is more to do with the build of the scope. From about 1996 to 2010 scope quality for some was pretty iffy out of the box. Early Hawks and stuff. Budget scopes were made of some pretty soft components. Quality has improved and some scopes are just better than others, lots of scopes out there so which one is going to be any good isn't easy.
    The rest is luck.
    Last edited by Muskett; 12-02-2017 at 03:53 PM.

My sirocco has the built in single strap mounts, don't know if that's part of the issue.

The scope failed at 9.5 fbs, it's now pumped upto 11.2, I was thinking extra omph on the piston would actually be more of a cushion at the far end of travel.
    May still go for a re-seal.
    Thanks - Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgeoff View Post

Aftermarket rams tend to be just stuffed in the gun with little thought, end result is often a snappy unpleasant rifle so people blame the ram, but just like a V-Mach tuning kit or suchlike the end result is entirely related to the effort put into the tuning process, just like a spring kit rams require the seals sizing properly, the ram fitted centrally and securely with the correct preload for the application , the transfer port sometimes modified, etc, if you just stuff it in with a bit of tape you get poor results.

Factory rammers need just as much care, pumping them up to get as much power as possible without considering anything else ends up in the same mess!

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Only ever had Theoben gas rams apart from a HW 90.
    I still have a pair of Fenmans.
    To date I've never had scope issues with any of them.
    Must admit though, returning the barrel after cocking can be a little harsh especially on Fenmans and I often wonder about that ?
    The "mildest" rammer I ever had was an SLR 98 .177 which shot beautifully !
    “An airgun or two”………

Gas ram and scope

Hi, I use a theoben Grand Prix pumped up to 20ftlb, yes it's on ticket. Simmons scope has not suffered any damage in the last ten years. Rifle has positive recoil, but perhaps I'm holding it right and absorbing the shock! David

the scope on my evolution creeper along the rail. sports match double screw mounts. the previous owner had the scope off to post the rifle.

I think he had the clamps on the bottom mixed up.

will be getting a one piece mount for it.

and it was used with a weaver brand v series scope. the scope is fine.

I've used a 1 piece Sportsmatch mount on my .177 TB90 with Simmons scope for over 23 years now with no problems. When the rifle fires it just dips muzzle down slightly and returns gently. As others have already said, It really depends on how the rifle is set up.

Gasrams-Scope-Killers

hi i had a theoben evo that was running at 11.2 that killed one of my scopes i turned the power down to 10.5 and fitted a one piece mount and to be honest the air rifle shot better than even. very little recoil and better accuracy and never had a problem with a scope again i think rammers get a bad rep but i think it's more down to how there set up