Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gasrams - Scope Killers?

Thanks, now got a big list of people who never had a problem, some suggestions of "its how its setup" but still no clue of what to "set-up"???

With a springer, 'i have a pretty good idea, spring guides, pre-load, good lubes etc, but what about a rammer? no spring to guide, maybe a bit of lube? a piston washer?
    Thanks - Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgeoff View Post
    Thanks, now got a big list of people who never had a problem, some suggestions of "its how its setup" but still no clue of what to "set-up"???

With a springer, 'i have a pretty good idea, spring guides, pre-load, good lubes etc, but what about a rammer? no spring to guide, maybe a bit of lube? a piston washer?
    Any gas ram piston rifle with a rear Shrader valve can be over pressurised normally through ignorance; this can have a harsh effect on the firing manners thus causing whip like recoil that'll likely damage scope reticles. The set up refers to this generally.

To be honest mate, I'd use a Dampa mount, it may not necessarily be needed but it gives peace of mind. Certainly won't make things worse, for only a few extra quids.

I had an older Airmax die on my HW90K, nothing saying it wouldn't have packed up on anything else but.

I now have a new Airmax 30 courtesy of Hawke's 50% off deal because they couldn't repair the old one. Not taking any chances, I've moved my Dampa mount from my HW97 just to be safe.

The old scope just lost it's consistency, couldn't see anything visibly wrong, just lost accuracy, it was all over the place. All I did is replace the scope and it's now as accurate as anything I've got.

Oh, forgot to mention, mine's running at around 10.5fps with H&N FTT's and that's where it's staying.

I'm pretty sure some scopes are not spring rifle safe .so would the gas ram make it worse?

The recoil from a gas ram would be worse for the scope. The amount recoil itself isn't really worse, it's more of a shorter, sharper shock (if that's the right way to describe it) , it's just different to a spring. More of a thwack rather than a twang.

Quote Originally Posted by Meater View Post
    The recoil from a gas ram would be worse for the scope. The amount recoil itself isn't really worse, it's more of a shorter, sharper shock (if that's the right way to describe it) , it's just different to a spring. More of a thwack rather than a twang.
    like an impact gun taking off a nut or bolt.

Its an early sirocco that has the theoben screw on, single strap scope mounts, not a dovetail for a sportsmatch dampamount :-(

As stated previous, it was only running 9.5 ftlbs at point of failure.
    Thanks - Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    like an impact gun taking off a nut or bolt.
    That's a good analogy

Its an early sirocco that has the theoben screw on, single strap scope mounts, not a dovetail for a sportsmatch dampamount :-(

As stated previous, it was only running 9.5 ftlbs at point of failure.
    Yeh, your a bit limited. I thought there were converters, but it seems not, I've just done search, nothing.

Perhaps you could try a scope that's rated for a springer, most of the new hawkes are, and they're guaranteed for life for first owner.

possibly mount a rail on to the receiver?
    http://www.ant-supplies.uk/rails-and...ail-rails.html

unbolt the mounts and get the above rail bolted on to your rifle

or this weaver one? http://www.ant-supplies.uk/rails-and...ght-rails.html

or these http://www.ant-supplies.uk/rails-and...ver-rails.html
    Last edited by bighit; 13-02-2017 at 09:54 PM.

Geoff I really do suspect the scope. I've had quite a few gas rams-all Theoben-and the main issue is normally over pressure causing harshness. This clearly isn't the case with your rifle running under 10.
    Remember that if you use a scope with lifetime warranty that will clearly be ok on a gas ram so give it another go.
    What scope was it?
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

I have had my Gamo Whisper IGT since last April 2016 with no problems. The rifles are supplied with anti recoil rail as standard, which you mount your scope mounts too. Diana are now doing anti recoil dampers for their rifles, so the industry must be listening. I expect it's more to please the American market, who have magnum powered springers and gas rams. I have tried both Hawk and Nikko Stirling on my Gamo gas ram with no problems. The damper rail also has holes for you to use scope mounts with screws to keep the mounts from moving.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Been researching Diana's "Bullseye" anti recoil mount recently for use on an Airking.
    Don't know how effective they are practically but the idea seems sound ?
    “An airgun or two”………

Gas ram Scope killer

Myth or not?
    A scope has died on my Sirocco (early low pressure version), it was an old 2nd hand scope, so unsure of its previous life.

I have read that a way to improve a gasram is to ensure the piston seal it a nice tight fit, as to minimise the piston slam, as it could be the forward re-coil that scopes are not designed for?

Any ideas on what else can improve the dynamics?

Thanks!
    I suppose it may well depend on what the scope is and the power level of the gas ram. Maybe for non FAC power levels some of the better quality scopes may last (how long?) but when I acquired my .22 cal. HW 90 in the early 90's (no FAC certificate required in Australia) worked over the piston washer and boosted the ram pressure to 25 bar (26 max) found the the then commonly available pellets in most case would not hold together. So, I made a set of swaging dies to form 19.1 grain pellets from 3/16" lead wire that were bullets shaped and of good form factor to give me high ballistic coefficient (I hate loosing velocity!); achieved just over 800 f/s and DESTROYED a 4x Leupold scope in about 20 shots that I had removed from a .308 Winchester! Leupold then "rebuilt" it for me but I never put it back on the HW 90 instead using normal sights. Now I have 2 Webley Patriots in .25 which have been well and truly worked over producing up to 37 fpe and superb accuracy(always less than one inch for 5 shots at 50 yards) with JSB 25.4 grain BUT both have Leupold 3-9 EFR airgun rated scopes and have had at least 2000 shots put through them. The simple answer to your question; maybe some scopes will be fine at sub 12 fpe levels but for higher power levels??????

Cheers