Thread: The Rossi EB79 FN FAL Trainer

The Rossi EB79 FN FAL Trainer

I've been lucky enough to borrow one of these for a test but sadly it is not for sale.

Having just shot about the tightest group I have ever managed free standing at 6 yards with an EB79 I want one!

So, with expectations suitably managed, does anyone have or know of one for sale?

John

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    I am sure that rifle could be mocked up from bits available in the UK, should you not be able to find someone in Brazil who is willing to sell you one.

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2014/...odel-sport-82/

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    I've been lucky enough to borrow one of these for a test but sadly it is not for sale.

Having just shot about the tightest group I have ever managed free standing at 6 yards with an EB79 I want one!

So, with expectations suitably managed, does anyone have or know of one for sale?

John
    Hi John, l had one but l found it a bit twangy and l could not get on with it, l think l sold it at the Melbourne airgun fair, but l can't remember how much l sold it for which is unusal as l always try and keep the prices that l sell things for.

ATB
    Mick.

Thanks both,

I'd like an original rather than a mocked up example and the one I have been playing with is smooth as silk. No twanginess at all and FPS variation of just 7 FPS over a 10 shot string.

Kind regards,

John

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Thanks both,

I'd like an original rather than a mocked up example and the one I have been playing with is smooth as silk. No twanginess at all and FPS variation of just 7 FPS over a 10 shot string.

Kind regards,

John
    That sounds so unlikely from what is basically a cadet rifle from a developing country it makes me want to see a photograph! Are you sure its not an Original 66 in a SLR stock? How is the trigger? Direct action sears are not known for their forgiving nature, never mind a one-piece trigger holding back a spring capable of 7 fpe. Perhaps it was made for the President's son?

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    That sounds so unlikely from what is basically a cadet rifle from a developing country it makes me want to see a photograph! Are you sure its not an Original 66 in a SLR stock? How is the trigger? Direct action sears are not known for their forgiving nature, never mind a one-piece trigger holding back a spring capable of 7 fpe. Perhaps it was made for the President's son?
    All will be revealed in Airgun World in a month or so. I'll have to look for a crest bearing the El Presdente seal!

Actually the trigger is a little creepy and basic. However, I have found it possible to achieve consistent accuracy in spite of this. Shame this one is not for sale

John

Yes, but Rossi make pretty decent firearms, so may be a cut above (I think they left the airgun business not long after Gamo set up a factory in Brazil: I wonder if that's a coincidence). And 7ft/lbs is a good level for easily achievable accuracy from a simple springer - think Diana 27 or HW30. (though they obviously have much more sophisticated triggers).

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Yes, but Rossi make pretty decent firearms, so may be a cut above (I think they left the airgun business not long after Gamo set up a factory in Brazil: I wonder if that's a coincidence). And 7ft/lbs is a good level for easily achievable accuracy from a simple springer - think Diana 27 or HW30. (though they obviously have much more sophisticated triggers).
    Hmm. Years ago Gerald Cardew did an accuracy experiment with springers of various qualities. He put them into a jig which clamped them very firmly by the barrel only. He found that even the cheapest, most inconsistent rifles would shoot extremely small groups at 10 yards.

I know 10 yards is not far, but the emphasis that is put on consistency and barrel quality may be misplaced, at least at the shorter ranges (say 25 yards and less).
    I think he concluded that the trigger unit was responsible for some of the increased 'human fired' accuracy of the quality springers over the poorer guns, and also the less violent nature of the recoil and vibration characteristics of the 'quality' guns were a big factor.

So, an easy trigger release and a smooth firing cycle are probably more important than consistency of velocity and barrel quality.

Where does this leave us with the remarkable faux Rossi Fusil Automatique Léger?

Well, according to the interweb, it has additional weight added to the stock to make it up to the 8.5 lbs of the 'real thing' - at least in the models that were used by the Brazilian military. If the rifle that J & J have is the militarised one, then its great weight relative to its power will not only damp spring-surge and recoil, but will also make 'wobbles' caused by a heavy, gritty trigger, gives less dispersion than if the rifle was lighter, by sheer inertia.

Ultimately, I think you could make an appalling rifle like a B2 or DB4 shoot accurately if you drilled out the stock and added about 6 lbs of lead shot to it. I cannot be arsed to test this theory however.

Of course you are now going to tell me the Rossi you have is the sporter and weighs the normal 6 lbs or whatever.

Rossi did make some lovely little pump-action .22 rimfires modelled on the old Winchesters. They can be fed .22 short without modification which is useful if you find yourself trapped in a barn full of tin cans.

Hmm. Years ago Gerald Cardew did an accuracy experiment with springers of various qualities. He put them into a jig which clamped them very firmly by the barrel only. He found that even the cheapest, most inconsistent rifles would shoot extremely small groups at 10 yards.

I know 10 yards is not far, but the emphasis that is put on consistency and barrel quality may be misplaced, at least at the shorter ranges (say 25 yards and less).
    I think he concluded that the trigger unit was responsible for some of the increased 'human fired' accuracy of the quality springers over the poorer guns, and also the less violent nature of the recoil and vibration characteristics of the 'quality' guns were a big factor.

So, an easy trigger release and a smooth firing cycle are probably more important than consistency of velocity and barrel quality.

Where does this leave us with the remarkable faux Rossi Fusil Automatique Léger?

Well, according to the interweb, it has additional weight added to the stock to make it up to the 8.5 lbs of the 'real thing' - at least in the models that were used by the Brazilian military. If the rifle that J & J have is the militarised one, then its great weight relative to its power will not only damp spring-surge and recoil, but will also make 'wobbles' caused by a heavy, gritty trigger, gives less dispersion than if the rifle was lighter, by sheer inertia.

Ultimately, I think you could make an appalling rifle like a B2 or DB4 shoot accurately if you drilled out the stock and added about 6 lbs of lead shot to it. I cannot be arsed to test this theory however.

Of course you are now going to tell me the Rossi you have is the sporter and weighs the normal 6 lbs or whatever.

Rossi did make some lovely little pump-action .22 rimfires modelled on the old Winchesters. They can be fed .22 short without modification which is useful if you find yourself trapped in a barn full of tin cans.
    I've been playing with the Mil-spec Rossi, which weighs in at over 9 lbs according to Josie's kitchen scales. Agreed the rifle's weight and neutral balance help with the pleasant firing characteristics but despite the creepy trigger, the rifle is still capable of excellent accuracy over realistic open sight ranges. Just have to adapt my trigger technique a little to get the best from it - a not impossible task.

John