Thread: 1922 BSA Standard v 3 x Webley Mk3s - fascinating range results

1922 BSA Standard v 3 x Webley Mk3s - fascinating range results

I thought I would furnish this report, which will be of some interest to collectors here.

Today, I range tested a .22 1922 BSA Standard, which I bought on Friday from Protek on the South Coast. Protek kindly tested this on their chronograph and it produced 589 fps 11.17 ft/lbs with Defiant Vintage; 575fps 11.32 ft/lbs with BSA Elite; 573fps 9.34 ft/lbs with Milbro Caledonian; 592fps 11.31 ft/lbs with RWS Superdome.

At a distance of 12 yards, I produced 1/4inch - 1/2inch groups quite comfortably, without effort, with five shots with each of the above pellets, bar Milbro.

I then tested three .22 Webley Mk3s - one belonging to a friend. Protek had kindly tested my A Series Mk3 (1968), which, remarkably, produced 586fps 11.77 ft/lbs with BSA Elites; 578fps 10.79 ft/lbs with Defiant Vintage and 559fps 10.07 ft/lbs with Superdomes. The remaining Mk3s produced a respectable 10-10.5 ft/lbs with varying pellets.

The Webleys were range tested but could not compete with the BSA Standard, with groupings of 3/4 - 1in. The Webleys were hindered by slightly stiff triggers; the BSA trigger was light and crisp. I also found the BSA beaded foresight produced a sharper image whereas the Webleys all had bladed foresights.

In due course, I shall carry out tests at longer distances but the weather is too wet currently and today's tests were conducted indoors.

Conclusion: I did not clean the BSA barrel but was astonished by the degree of accuracy, with all pellets overlapping holes. The Webleys produced looser groups.

I wonder what fellow collectors have discovered in any trials they have conducted.

Finally, I bought a small tin of barrel cleaning sponge-type pellets but reflected, later, that the lightness of these and the scant resistance they would therefore provide, if shot down the barrel, would place pressure on the spring and washer so I have refrained from using these as yet. Introducing a pellet behind them might be worthwhile, unless the pellet were to jam alongside the sponge in the barrel. I think I might leave these 'cleaning' pellets untouched.

I feel confident enough with my 1922 BSA to take on any modern springer, with open sights.

Rgds
    Andrew.
    Last edited by andrewM; 12-02-2017 at 10:41 PM.

bsa v webley

Great read Andrew. Keep it up. Oops! slight typo para 5 methinks. Jules

Thanks Jules! I have corrected the error in para 5.

I am glad to be able to contribute something tangible rather than merely tap the readership for information. On the other hand, I have been on a steep learning curve since I joined.

I shall add further insights and reports, as they occur. The interesting thing, here, is that we tried three Mk3s so the results from that quarter must have demonstrated consistency. Prior to this, I read from Ed's contributions (I think it was) to the superlative BSA Vintage Collectors' Forum that tight groupings from vintage BSAs were par for the course. Pity this type of engineering was not continued by British airgun manufacturers.

It is rather astonishing to reflect that a rifle of nearly 100 years in age can perform at a power and accuracy rating that would not be out of place with a new rifle today, assuming open sights.

Rgds
    A

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    The interesting thing, here, is that we tried three Mk3s so the results from that quarter must have demonstrated consistency. Prior to this, I read from Ed's contributions (I think it was) to the superlative BSA Vintage Collectors' Forum that tight groupings from vintage BSAs were par for the course. Pity this type of engineering was not continued by British airgun manufacturers.
    It is rather astonishing to reflect that a rifle of nearly 100 years in age can perform at a power and accuracy rating that would not be out of place with a new rifle today, assuming open sights. Rgds A
    They are a lovely gun, the early BSA, aren't they Andrew?
    I have only fired two MK3 Webleys and a larger number of pre and post war BSAs. My experience in respect to the trigger is similar.
    The BSAs of 1,2,or 3 bolt trigger blocks let off much smoother than either of the MK3 Webleys. The groupings were consistant with this also which is not surprising.
    Maybe it is more to do with technique, or lack of it
    'No doubt(?) the Webley trigger could be improved with some attention; can anyone confirm this?
    All over, my preference is the BSA for other reasons too, although if a Webley MK3 were to come my way again I would buy it without a second thought.
    Last edited by slow_runner; 13-02-2017 at 12:04 PM.

I like the BSA standard, they all seem accurate and powerful from what I have seen.
    Possibly will be another addition to my collection at some point along side the CS.
    Thanks - Geoff.