Thread: Crosman 1377/1322 pump up pistol advice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Excellent info' thanks very much to you all

Particularly interesting concerning the earlier ones vs the later ones, I'd somehow expected the earlier ones to be better, that's really worth knowing.

I do like the Alecto (probably will get one at some point ) but the current obsession is the Crosman. I'm new to all this so a bit like a kid in a sweetshop - I really want them all

I like the idea of them being easy to customise/ tinker with, that's cool.

Cheers again

Dave

You won't regret getting one, and if you tire of it, with a good used example, you can probably get your money back on resale.

The newest ones have a bolt action like the 2240 which both cocks the action (on opening) then loads a pellet (on closing). The older ones have a rotating sliding sleeve that simply loads the pellet, and a separate knob used to cock the action. I prefer the old system. Maybe that's because it's what I am familiar with, but it it is also better adapted to loading and cocking with the gun held throughout by the grip with the strong hand, and the manual cocking is a nice additional safety feature.

Crosman pump-ups

Great fun pistols, powerful, accurate, simple, customisable (see warning), last forever

I've owned a Crosman 1322 (Medalist) for many years when it was imported to the UK within the UK limits, but these can float close to 6ftlb limit so despite being re-released in 2012 in the US, few of the new 1322's are on sale in the UK.

The 1377 is a different story, widely available. I recently bought one of the newer "black" versions and it's build quality was noticeably poorer than the older pistols.
    On taking it apart it has a "bleed valve" to limit the FPS to below 500 for the Canadian market. You'll see on the packaging : 600FPS on older models and 495FPS on the newer
    If you're plinking this isn't an issue, it's just disappointing if you're used to the older versions.

To answer the question, yes (IMO) older is better.

Watch the power mods, as the 6ftlb limit is an absolute, so the 1377 platform gives you more "headroom".
    Mod a 1322 and you can easily go over 6ftlb, which is about 435FPS with an average .22 pellet.

2240 is a C02 powered PISTOL, 2250 a C02 powered RIFLE, both are great but they are always full power and you have to buy GAS. A pump up can be pumped just enough to get the job done from plinking, target shooting on low/medium power up to small vermin control on full power. A true all round gun that's been around as long as I have ! - Enjoy