Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crosman 1377/1322 pump up pistol advice

Crosman 1377/1322 pump up pistol advice

Hello all

The latest gun on the consideration list is the pump up Crosman 1377 or 1322 (or indeed an earlier version).

Can anyone offer any advice on buying, are the older models better than the newer ones, is there one particular model to look out for? Or indeed are they even worth bothering with?

It would just be used for shooting targets & cans etc (or old dinner plates ) in the garage.

Any opinions or tips would be welcomed.

Many thanks

Dave

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham

Many years ago I had a 1300, plenty of power, but the trigger weight increased with the number of pumps.

Above 4 pumps it was so heavy as to be unusable, I would avoid that model.

No such problem with the later ones though, (they work differently) I have a 1322 and the trigger is fine.

Had one must have been in about 1980. Powerful, accurate but got so pissed off having to pump it up after every shot.Had a metal stock and 4x20 scope for it too lol

Quote Originally Posted by lew07 View Post
    Had one must have been in about 1980. Powerful, accurate but got so pissed off having to pump it up after every shot.Had a metal stock and 4x20 scope for it too lol
    Same as me really.....you cannot beat one stroke loading when its a pistol really.

If you do buy one you need a later model. Post Simmons link up with crosman about early to mid 90s....or you will have problems.
    They rebuilt it, raised the quality control and sorted out all the problems associated with the 80s models.
    Ill be damned if i can remember the exact date of this revival of quality but anything post 2000 would be fine i should think.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Have you considered an Alecto?
    Good deals with these members

Nice, given the price. Easy to put one to three pumps in. Manual says at least two, but mine has always been OK on a single pump for close range quiet shooting, though I usually use two. Eight pumps takes work, but definitely whacks reactive targets down.

Easily shoots into an inch at 10 metres.

Not expensive to add the shoulder stock (20ish pounds) to make a handy little carbine. And the rear sight blade flips over to give you an aperture for carbine use.

Advertised as an "American Classic", and it is.

Lots of add-ons and upgrades, ranging from cheap (shoulder stock, "Pro-Blox" optical sight mounts) to silly money "mods" like steel breech blocks that cost as much as near-mint used example of the pistol. Each to his own.

If you are into "modding", avoid the power bits on E...Bay that may take it over the limit. Esp the 1322.

Trigger is average but not bad. Can be improved by shimming the bearing surfaces, and gently polishing the contact surfaces.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    For a garage fun gun - it's ideal, a couple of easy pumps rather than one almighty nipple-clamping one...where you don't need or necessarily want huge power .
    For the odd occasions where it's nice to have a bit more 'oomph' its available for a little extra effort and with a little tweaking its not difficult to get them nudging the UK limit.
    Fancy an ultra carbine?.... Buy the Crosman shoulder stock for £20 and two minutes later... You've got one.
    Fancy grips for not a lot - check.
    All kinds of custom parts - check.
    A lot of fun with no reliance on CO2, pumps or diver's bottles and access to every kind of spare or custom part you could ever want for under a ton....sure - if you want to sling loads of lead down range then pumpers are going to loose their shine, but for how many are out there you don't often see them for sale...which says something.

Excellent info' thanks very much to you all

Particularly interesting concerning the earlier ones vs the later ones, I'd somehow expected the earlier ones to be better, that's really worth knowing.

I do like the Alecto (probably will get one at some point ) but the current obsession is the Crosman. I'm new to all this so a bit like a kid in a sweetshop - I really want them all

I like the idea of them being easy to customise/ tinker with, that's cool.

Cheers again

Dave

You won't regret getting one, and if you tire of it, with a good used example, you can probably get your money back on resale.

The newest ones have a bolt action like the 2240 which both cocks the action (on opening) then loads a pellet (on closing). The older ones have a rotating sliding sleeve that simply loads the pellet, and a separate knob used to cock the action. I prefer the old system. Maybe that's because it's what I am familiar with, but it it is also better adapted to loading and cocking with the gun held throughout by the grip with the strong hand, and the manual cocking is a nice additional safety feature.

Crosman pump-ups

Great fun pistols, powerful, accurate, simple, customisable (see warning), last forever

I've owned a Crosman 1322 (Medalist) for many years when it was imported to the UK within the UK limits, but these can float close to 6ftlb limit so despite being re-released in 2012 in the US, few of the new 1322's are on sale in the UK.

The 1377 is a different story, widely available. I recently bought one of the newer "black" versions and it's build quality was noticeably poorer than the older pistols.
    On taking it apart it has a "bleed valve" to limit the FPS to below 500 for the Canadian market. You'll see on the packaging : 600FPS on older models and 495FPS on the newer
    If you're plinking this isn't an issue, it's just disappointing if you're used to the older versions.

To answer the question, yes (IMO) older is better.

Watch the power mods, as the 6ftlb limit is an absolute, so the 1377 platform gives you more "headroom".
    Mod a 1322 and you can easily go over 6ftlb, which is about 435FPS with an average .22 pellet.

2240 is a C02 powered PISTOL, 2250 a C02 powered RIFLE, both are great but they are always full power and you have to buy GAS. A pump up can be pumped just enough to get the job done from plinking, target shooting on low/medium power up to small vermin control on full power. A true all round gun that's been around as long as I have ! - Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Nice, given the price. Easy to put one to three pumps in. Manual says at least two, but mine has always been OK on a single pump for close range quiet shooting, though I usually use two. Eight pumps takes work, but definitely whacks reactive targets down.
    Strange that! After the barrel gets leaded up, my 1377 won't reach the 6yd target on two pumps till cleaned. In fact I use this as a test for time to use a pull through. After a clean its fine but definitely won't fire on one pump! I use three for 6yd target. In fact I've recently put the shoulder stock on and flipped to the peep sight and find that great fun. Its the quietest gun as you say too. ATB. Pete.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Quote Originally Posted by peteswright View Post
    Strange that! After the barrel gets leaded up, my 1377 won't reach the 6yd target on two pumps till cleaned. In fact I use this as a test for time to use a pull through. After a clean its fine but definitely won't fire on one pump! I use three for 6yd target. In fact I've recently put the shoulder stock on and flipped to the peep sight and find that great fun. Its the quietest gun as you say too. ATB. Pete.
    Mine has had the stock fitted for a while. What's silly about the stock is that it ought to make it a great light starter carbine for kids, but the length of pull is something like 15 inches.

The collector in me wants to find an original early 80s Sussex Armoury 1322, with all the period add-ones that they marketed it with - stock, scope, and silencer.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

Trigger is average but not bad. Can be improved by shimming the bearing surfaces, and gently polishing the contact surfaces.
    I can heartily recommend the GMAC Mk11A trigger kit, simple / quick to fit but makes a HUGE difference. Best £30 I've spent in a while

Just bought and resealed an old 1300 Crosman pistol, pure nostalgia as I had one as a kid.

Works fine now, very accurate at 10m, trigger pull does get stiffer as you pump it more, will polish and lube the trigger up on next phase of fiddling and report back on here.

Did a comprehensive over pumping power test over my chrony if anyone is interested in results as I was concerned that this might go over UK limits. It doesn't as the power increase per pump tails off after many pumps and it remains about 5.5 fpe.