Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just curious - about scopes

30mm scopes are old hat anyway.

34mm is where it's at these days.

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    If you buy decent glass you will get more use in twilight conditions from a low mag 32-33mm scope. 40mm can be very good too, but be aware if you strap a 6-24x56, PX, AO, IR,BDC scope on your air rifle everyone will know you have a small willy
    My secret is out

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    From Leupold's blurb....

"Many of today’s riflescopes use 30mm maintubes. The 30mm tube provides more strength and often more windage and elevation adjustment. This makes it easier to get zeroed at the range, and for those shooters who love to shoot long distance, it allows you to “dial up” to be on target at longer ranges."

It also allows us feel superior to those without a similar girth...
    Maybe those of us using 1.5-5x20 scopes are confident in what we've got then?
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    Dave
    What about us open sights fans then? Super studs obviously .

Did I hear someone mutter "eunuchs" Hmmmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    Together with astronomical prices !

Charlts is offline I'm not the Messiah, I'm King of the Creedbros!
    Leicester, Wigston, 171.27 miles North of Calais!
    Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    30mm scopes are old hat anyway.

34mm is so 2015, these days if it's not 35 or 40mm I won't give it cabinet space!

Still got a pair of 34mm PM2's in regular use though!
    The toxicity of lead varies, depending upon the weight of its doseage and its velocity!

Thanks for the input chaps. As I mainly hunt or practice these days this iis all the scope would be used for. As such the more simple the better. In particular i have a chance in picking up an old model Hawks 30mm scope.
    I'm was wondering if there are any edge on the larger tube as regards dusk shooting etc?
    Dave
    Which model & how old? the "Endurance 30" series were very good scopes, while the Sidewinder pre 2015 (in the flight case) is certainly better with NV than the current model.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlts View Post
    34mm is so 2015, these days if it's not 35 or 40mm I won't give it cabinet space!
    Yeh, that's why 34 is where it's at

I wonder when the first 56mm tubed 56 is going to come out.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    If you buy decent glass you will get more use in twilight conditions from a low mag 32-33mm scope. 40mm can be very good too, but be aware if you strap a 6-24x56, PX, AO, IR,BDC scope on your air rifle everyone will know you have a small willy
    Is that why you bought MY 1.5-5x20 WTC ??
    “An airgun or two”………

I doubt there is any difference in performance between a 4x40 from body tube size.
    The larger bodies give the designers more options when designing in all the toys like high magnification. Also a stronger thicker walled housing.
    Everything else is in the quality of glass, the choice of coatings, and how all the lenses are designed to work together. Some manufacturers are better at putting it all together than others. Some scopes just have it all just right, more so than others in any range. Pure objective size is no guarantee of gathering more performance, especially if the glass isn't much good to start; which happens when trying to match a price to market. Whatever the scope it should match the scale and balance of the rifle. The rifle design and weight should match what its intended purpose is.

A lot of glass works in good light. The better glass works in all light conditions be it bright or at dusk. Quality does count.

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    It also allows us feel superior to those without a similar girth...
    That almost deserves a Roy "Chubby" Brown reply....

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Which model & how old? the "Endurance 30" series were very good scopes, while the Sidewinder pre 2015 (in the flight case) is certainly better with NV than the current model.
    One of the Titanium range. I think the 3-9 x 52 variety?

Dave

Just curious - about scopes

Dave
    this i so true.it ain't what yer got it's how you use it! Besides my old pecar champion 1" tube scope, I've never looked through any other air rifle scope at dusk or dawn & seen as much light transmitted to my eye than the lil whitetails.

I couldn't let this drop, the little Simmons. They aren't that bright. I know why people use them as they give a great sight picture, but thy aren't bright nor particularly good at dusk.
    There are a good few 4x40 scopes that are super bright, and the odd 3-9x40. Its all in the glass. The odd Hakko, Tasco, Leupold and Zeiss fixed x4 or x6 can be surprisingly bright. When it comes to air rifle scopes then its often what the manufacturer/brand decided to do that year. Some models in a range just light up, the rest are "also rans". It can be the case that a larger objective lens is so badly matched that it allows less light through to a small sized objective in the same line (Tasco, Simmons). There is more to making a scope than just putting some lenses together.

They all promise the earth. A very few do, or go beyond their price range.

Tube size doesnt have a huge effect on light transmission.
    Bigger tube allows more elevation and windage.
    Weight can be more down to how many lens are in the tube as much as the tube itself.
    I have both and they give good results if enginereed right
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill