Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New .177 in the morning

Smile New .177 in the morning

It's been a long time since I owned a .177, (BSA Airsporter Schutzen), but I have studied lots of threads on here and I feel I'm missing out so first thing tomorrow I'm collecting a 30S(K) from York Guns. Over the weekend I picked a couple of tins of pellets which were Diana branded and are in fact H&N and some RWS sports flat heads.

Looking at other brands it seems that there is a very refined choice of head or skirt size? Correct me if I am wrong but;

Are HW barrels slightly oversized, that's to say maybe 4.52 and are such small differences in head/skirt size of hundreths of a mm really something to get hung up about? I'm tempted to simply feed the rifle with standard 4.5mm FTT's, Barracudas and R10's or their derivatives in other brands.

I'm looking for as much accuracy as possible with due regard to my aim being the limiting factor.

One final ask, and looking beyond the horizon, is the 99S in .177 a good bet? I have read that they can be "flippy"

Thank You!

Don't know about the 99S but the 95k is flippy, as for pellets 'RWS Superdomes' produced single hole (pellet on pellet) groups through my .177/95k at 25yds as long as I did my bit...

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    HI Portzy !
    The HW 30S is a terrific air rifle, you go and collect it and have a great time shooting ! Put as many pellets through it as you wish and enjoy !

Other air rifles such as the 99 will come along in due course !
    Come back to us, the BBS Bretheren at any time for adivice, we're always here to asist !

Good shooting !
    “An airgun or two”………

The HW 50 (99) is nice, when modded & personalised more so:

http://barx.org/airguns/?id=hw_50_s

Hi Portzy. In my experience, Weihrauchs are fairly unfussy when it comes to pellet choice. The 30s - my pal owns three of them - shoots well with pellets from JSB, H&N, RWS, even BSA.

As for the 99s - I have one in each calibre - they are the most pleasant UK-limit springers to shoot and certainly not 'flippy' by any stretch of the imagination...

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    Hi Portzy. In my experience, Weihrauchs are fairly unfussy when it comes to pellet choice. The 30s - my pal owns three of them - shoots well with pellets from JSB, H&N, RWS, even BSA.

As for the 99s - I have one in each calibre - they are the most pleasant UK-limit springers to shoot and certainly not 'flippy' by any stretch of the imagination...
    Exactly as above.

You're going to be stunned with how refined the little 30S and how easily the find accuracy is achieved. Wonderful little things.

The same as RW, I have the 99S in both .177 and .22. The .177 is absolutely 100% standard and I haven't been inside it. Superb it is. Very accurate and far, far more refined than a full power lightweight really has any right to be.

But enjoy (and be prepared to be amazed by) the little 30S for now.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Bought a HW30s, the open sights one, a couple of weeks back. Super little rifle and great fun to shoot.
    Just used RWS R10 for 10mtr paper punching up-to now. It producing 7.6ftlbs which I will eventually reduce to 5 - 6ftlbs for 10mtr. Could do with a 7.5J spring to just drop in but chambers only have the UK versions the 7J is out of stock. May have to start chopping a spring down at some point.
    Bri

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TORNADOS7 View Post
    Don't know about the 99S but the 95k is flippy, as for pellets 'RWS Superdomes' produced single hole (pellet on pellet) groups through my .177/95k at 25yds as long as I did my bit...
    Never had a problem with the 95K flipping, I suppose the artillery hold works wonders! I did have a problem with HW finishing mainsprings with an angle grinder though!

All the HW .177s I have owned liked a 4.52mm pellet.

I had a 95k in .177, it was one of the most horrible 'twang monsters' I ever shot. A SFS tune transformed it but it did gall me a little to buy an 'off the shelf' expensive rifle, to then have to do work to what some describe as 'fix it'.

Same issue with a Diana 98k - horrible to fire and also a HW98 that sounded like a bucket of sand was in the cylinder when you cocked it.

Thanks for all your replies folks!

Okay, picked it up yesterday morning and just had first chance to check things over today and what a bonny little thing it is. I only managed to get about 50 or so pellets through it but it's lovely and smooth with near zero recoil, and perfect for my back garden range.

As you know, this gun cames as a kit with a Weihrauch branded 4x32 scope which, if I'm honest, is a litttle bit basic. In my cupboard I have a Leapers 2-7 x 32ir and a Simmons 1.5-5 x 32, both bought from our sponsors webshop a while ago when I bought two of each. The Leapers is a tad "tactical" in style whereas the Simmons is clean looking and more traditional so to speak and in my mind suits the gun better, especially on Sportsmatch low mounts, what do the experts reckon?

I'm still a bit confused on the pellet front though. The ones I have are branded "Diana High Power" but it's clear from the back of the tin that they were made by H&N and are Barracudas sized at 4.50, not 4.51, 4.52 etc. They were what I'd call a snug, (not forced), fit into the breech and needing only a minimum amount of finger/thumb tip effort to seat them. Serious question, in reality would .51, .52 etc be noticeably harder to seat or is this whole pellet size mallarkey only for pcp's.

Cheers!

The Simmons you mention is superb, I have two of them - one on the .177 99s.

H&N Baracuda pellets are far too heavy for the little 30s - try some JSB RS or JSB Express...

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    The Simmons you mention is superb, I have two of them - one on the .177 99s.

H&N Baracuda pellets are far too heavy for the little 30s - try some JSB RS or JSB Express...
    Cheers mate. I hoped you would say that, it just looks so right with the Simmons and I will save the Leapers for something a bit more tactical in the future.

I've seen some JSB Express in 4.50 and all the way to 4.53, I'll give the 4.50's a go,

Thanks again.

Edit! Saw the wrong ones lol, was looking at Exacts, on the right track now though.
    Last edited by Portzy; 16-02-2017 at 09:51 PM.

I think you will find that RS and Express are only available in 4.52/5.52mm. Don't worry about it, they are shorter and softer than Baracuda and will seat easily enough...

Fully agree with your choice of scope over the tactical styled ones (yuk!) for a classic styled rifle like the 30s. As said barracudas are too heavy especially for the moderately power rifles. If you have some RWS hobbies they may be worth a try, nice and light plus cheap!!
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    If you have some RWS hobbies they may be worth a try, nice and light plus cheap!!
    Seconded, RWS Hobbys for me.