Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New .177 in the morning

Thought I'd update with really enjoying this gun I managed to get a couple of tins of Facon Acurracy Plus, which are JSB RS, and results are the best I've had in ages.

I have just a small querie; this gun is the kit or K version and not the full length barrel equivalent. In reality, what performance differencies can you expect twixt the K and the standard and for that matter any air rifle which has K or standard variants.

cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    The Simmons you mention is superb, I have two of them - one on the .177 99s.

H&N Baracuda pellets are far too heavy for the little 30s - try some JSB RS or JSB Express...
    Talking of scopes, I found a little gem in my collection that I had forgotten about. A Hawke Nighteye 1.5X6X44 with a dot reticule. I had forgotten how lovely this little scope was. I might put it on the Prosport.

A.G

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by Portzy View Post
    I have just a small querie; this gun is the kit or K version and not the full length barrel equivalent. In reality, what performance differencies can you expect twixt the K and the standard and for that matter any air rifle which has K or standard variants.
    Shorter barrels are slightly less efficient, so need a slightly more powerful spring/more preload to attain the same power as a full length barrel.
    This can on occasion make carbine springers just a little more difficult to shoot than their full size brethren.
    In PCPs, carbine versions will usually have a lower shot count, and they may be louder.
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    Shorter barrels are slightly less efficient, so need a slightly more powerful spring/more preload to attain the same power as a full length barrel.
    This can on occasion make carbine springers just a little more difficult to shoot than their full size brethren.
    In PCPs, carbine versions will usually have a lower shot count, and they may be louder.
    Thank you.

Would barrel length have any effect on accuracy? I'm assuming not, but purely from a non expert point of view.

Would barrel length have any effect on accuracy? I'm assuming not, but purely from a non expert point of view.
    Barrel length has no effect on accuracy whatsoever - that's down to the quality of bore and crown. If you use opens though, a longer barrel has the advantage of a longer sight plane.

Also, with a springer, a slightly shorter barrel can often deliver a higher MV/ME...

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Thank you.

Technically, no.

In practice, with a carbine springer it may make it a little more difficult to attain the same accuracy as a full length airgun, if the increased power has made it more hold sensitive.

FWB made a pistol with a corkscrew barrel, just to prove the point that it is only the last inch or two of barrel that determines accuracy: http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/wp-co...ral-barrel.jpg
    Good deals with these members

Thank you.

The only way a shorter barrel can affect accuracy is in the balance and firing cycle, as mentioned above a longer barrel is more efficient therefore you need less spring and then get less recoil, the longer barrel adds weight up front so can be beneficial in limiting muzzle flip, in both these cases the difference can vary from rifle to rifle as the weight of the scope and mounts matter a great deal to the balance of a rifle!

Suffice to say I doubt you will gain anything of real value by fitting a longer barrel!

Thanks.

That what I imagined to be the case, I do have another 30s with standard length barrel but that is in .22, it's the newly aqquired .177 that I have been putting the time in with lately.

Knowledge is everything and I'm still learning about ballistics etc plus in a few months I'm hoping to aquire my 1st .22lr target rifle, been looking at an Anshutz 1903 that comes in either standard weight/barrel or "junior", which is slightly lighter and shorter.