Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Airgun Magazines

i buy most of the shooting mags as my shooting goes across , from airguns
    my main interest to rimfires, shotguns, fac air, so i always find something interesting to read
    hunting exploits are all ways a good read,as i am an avid hunter/pest controller ,anything on
    Night Vision also interests me as its another of my interests.
    atb brian

Thanks for such a huge response. Airgun World seems to be the most popular and I actually picked up a copy today. I looked at Airgun world and Airgun shooter and AGW looked the most interesting.... time will tell.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy_Boy View Post
    I have a subscription to Airgun World.

However, one option you may want to consider is looking at Readly? It is a digital magazine subscription, for Tablets, SmartPhones etc. I pay 7.99 a month and read loads of mags, including Airgun World, Air Gunner, Airgun Shooter, Shooting Sports, Shooting Times, Sporting Shooter, Sporting Gun, iShoot, Gun Mart, Clay Shooting, Clay Shooter as well as some Motorbike mags. You can also go back over the last 2 or 3 years of magazines to catch up on back editions.

I know some people like having ‘hard copies’ but I’m not one of them. If there are ever any articles I particularly want to keep i.e. strip down guides, I can screen shot and print out. Another bonus is you can do a free text search, so if you wanted to try and find a particular review you can search for the model in question and find all references across all magazines.

If nothing else, might be worth signing up for the 1 month free trial, evaluate the mags yourself before deciding which to subscribe to.

Matt.
    This seems like a phenomenal deal - do you get to access to all the magazines on their list for £7.99 month?

I've been buying agw as probably a lot on here have since its launch in the 70's and have always enjoyed reading it. I subscribe now and for around £2 a month think it's excellent value. I don't look at them initially and save them up to take on holidays just to annoy the wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Midasi1 View Post
    Don't waste my money on buying any of them - wait until one turns up at one of my clubs.

The reviews are all biased, otherwise if they gave a bad review no more will be sent for review.

The ads rarely change from one month to the next and any advice has already been given or will be repeated (many times)

The comps are a joke and not worth the effort - normally a guise to get your email and bombard you with spam.

Other than that, the pics are pretty....

M.

Ps The pages of correspondence are carefully selected and edited.
    Midas - you have a perfect right to your opinion, but as editor of Airgun world, and editor-in-chief of Air Gunner, I'd like to ask you a few questions and I'll be as brief as possible.

First, on the subject of reviews, if you can find something we've published which isn't true or is deliberately misleading, can you let me know, please?

Why are the comps a 'joke'? We offer prizes usually worth between £500 and £800, which can be won for £1.50. There are hundreds, not thousands, of entries, so the chances of winning are more reasonable than most competitions, and every penny we make goes back into the prize fund. As for spam, just tick the box and you won't be included. How much easier could that be? We run those comps for two reasons; some of our readers really enjoy them, plus each entry form has a section for feedback on it, and we find that really useful for giving our readers what they want.

As for the correspondence, of course we need to edit the letters for grammar and spelling, and sometimes we need to cut content if they go on page after page - all publications do this - but you'll see that critical letters are also published, pretty much every month. I've even been criticised for publishing letters criticising the magazine and its contributors.

Finally, that repeated advice you take exception to will be absolutely essential to those who are new to our sport, as it was to you and all of us when we were learning. Just because we've learned the basics doesn't mean that we should stop advising newcomers, surely? How would we have fared if those who came before us had that attitude?

We work hard to put those magazines together and of course we don't always get it right, but that doesn't stop us from trying. We always welcome constructive criticism and we ask for reader input in every issue, because we truly value it and we respond to it. I'm sorry you don't like what we do but if you'd care to contribute, I promise we'll consider what you say.
    Thanks.
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Is it true that AGW is running a new competition, spot the typo?
    ^^^^^^^ this; quite brilliant Rich !!

Quote Originally Posted by Shootfish View Post
    ^^^^^^^ this; quite brilliant Rich !!
    No need for the space before the exclamation points and there's never a need to use more than one exclamation point because that little dot at the bottom is a full stop, see?

Just saying.
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge

Airgun Shooter used to be the best of the three but now it has changed so if you are not into hunting it has little to offer. Of the other two I sometimes get AGW solely for the technical bits. The only problem with all the magazines is that, in the technical bits, particularly anything on pellet flight or external ballistic testing which is the area I happen to know a bit about, there can be mistakes, old myths or poorly controlled test methods which makes you wonder about the rest of the content of the magazine that you don't know anything about.
    The forums are often toted as a better source of information, but again, there is a lot of misinformation or rehashed old myths which seem to have a life of their own. There is good information and some good technical information on the forums, you just have to know who to read. Forget YouTube as a source of information, in my experience, most of what is on there is rubbish with very bad test techniques resulting in misleading conclusions.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post

No need for the space before the exclamation points and there's never a need to use more than one exclamation point because that little dot at the bottom is a full stop, see?

Just saying.
    Brilliant, lol !!!!!

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Suitably chastised; but my comment was not to claim that my grammar and spelling are any better, it was purely to find the original remark humorous.

Now now boys, put you handbags down. My grammar and punctuation is appalling so I won't comment on others but that was quite amusing!

Anyone got a tidy copy of February airgun world I could have? Theres an aritcle i would like to read.Dont mind paying the postage. Are you in a position to send me one, Terry?

I like technology Westy_boy but I hate computers and tablet stuff, I much rather a paper copy.