Thread: Range finding scope

Range finding scope

I'm just getting back into FT after nearly 20 years away. On my old titan rifle I had a scope with adjustable turrets. I sighted my rifle at different ranges and then noted what number I needed on the turret for a specific range so that I could quickly adjust for each shot.

My father and me always referred to these as range finder scopes, but I have Googled that and it come up with some very fancy, very expensive scopes.

Can anyone tell me what these scopes are called? I want to buy one for my new AA S400 and when I have been searching I struggle to know which ones work like this and which ones are fixed.

Heres one i have just bought of here the other day !!

Bushnell 4-14x42 Laser Riflescope

Bushnell Laserscope 4x14x42 NOW SOLD

I bought this laserscope several years ago but it is unused, only taken from the box and checked it for correct function on receipt.

Write up here: http://www.chuckhawks.com/bushnell_y...4-12_scope.htm

It is advertised as operating accurately 30-800 yds, but on checking I've found it ranges accurately down to 24 yds.

The scope is therefore boxed with all paperwork, bdc turrets, remote control unit, and instructions etc, and is covered by the Bushnell lifetime warranty of course.

The only listing I can find for this scope in UK is at Uttings with a price of £790 Plus P&P

here: http://www.uttings.co.uk/p106745-bus.../#.WJScXykXdc4

Given the condition of the scope I'm looking for £410 RMSD posted.

I'll be pleased to answer any questions by PM but offers on the thread please.

Thanks for looking..

Last edited by maxtich; 15-02-2017 at 02:08 PM.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Hi

Technicaly all scopes with vertical adjustment can do this - your simply adjusting the holdover to zero for any given distance/pellet/gun combination once you have done your range testing. However in todays market a good example of what (I think) you want would be somthing like a "Big Nikko" which has a 10-50x60 spec. This give you a big magnification to tell the difference in ranges as you have to focus it to make the image clear at any given range - so 30m is clear, 35m is slightly blurred, so you can adjust the focus to make 35m clear, and thus you have your distance/range to known distances/markers. This is different to just using a simple elevation turret which in todays scopes would seldom be used for your purpose due to inaccuracy at air gun distances. Once you mark up your scope with the distances on the focus ring/wheel, you know the distance/range for any given point - on a scope like the Big Nikko, your probably accurate to 2m with practice, you can then adjust your holdover with the elevation adjustment (clicks - up/down).

The Big Nikko is around £450 second hand or £750 new, cheaper scopes are generally not as good, less repeatable, but you get what you pay for.

This is just a rough idea - there are loads of articles in the forum/internet on how to do this for "FT" range finding.

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

James, thank you, just what I was after

The turrets are usually referred to as "target turrets" or sometimes BDC (bullet drop compensation).
    Range finding by parallax is a different thing, using very high mag and large objectives, with ranges marked on the sidewheel or the adjustable objective. FT scopes almost always have both features.

If you just want the target turrets and not the ability to rangefind by focus, there is no need to pay a large amount for what is a very large scope like the Nikko mentioned.

Range finding is different to dialling in
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill