Thread: My BSA Scorpion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My BSA Scorpion

I've been hunting with air rifles for approx 28 years and nearly always with .177. I got a Scorpion T10 in .22 about six months ago, I must say I'm very impressed with this gun. We all know the potential for pass through with .177, but on the whole ive been very happy with the calibre and will stay with it for longer range rabbits.

Now I have a permanent hide set up 30 yards from a sitty tree which attracts, Jackdaws, crows and pigeons, without getting into yet another calibre debate, what I will say is that this Scorpion in .22 is dropping everything, without any runners.
    I await the "hit em in the right spot and .177 will be just as effective" crowd. But this is my findings, at the moment I'm reaching for the Scorpion everytime.

We all, as responsible hunters try to avoid wounding any living creature, BUT there are times when it occasionally happens. I personally are finding hunting from my hide has so far (touch wood) been 100% one shot kills so far. The great man himself, JD (RIP) said in his opinion .22 was better for hunting. I'm starting to think that also.

THIS IS PURELY MY OPINION, OTHERS MAY VARY
    Last edited by Trumpetier; 15-02-2017 at 10:53 AM.

Well you've said it yourself you have a permanent 30 yard hide so there is no variation in distance , a .177 is more forgiving over different distances but when you using a .22 then thats when you have to do a bit more calculating to hit the spot. Personaly i dont mind which callibre i use so never get into the silly debates as to which is best as far as i'm concerned every callibre has it's merits.

Both will do the same at any given distance ,as long you know your setup and what you can do , i do shoot both

Dave, you're not supposed to advertised guns for sale in this section.

Hellequin is online now I used to be indecisive.....
    Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Ignore him Dave, it'll only be a week on the naughty step and anyway, I'll have it please!

On a serious note, I like both calibres. My .177 Rapid does most of my pest control anyway but for obvious reasons it's preferred for my night time rabbit shooting with NV.

That said, I love .22 and have had lots of success with it over the years both from fixed hides and stalking. It's always going to be a little easier from a static set up but even when on a walk about I think if the range is kept sensible then the trajectory isn't a massive issue. Especially with today's modern reticles.

Each to their own but I do like a nice .22
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

I made a visit to a different Airgun retailer the other day and the guy asked me if I was after anything in particular and I said I wanted to get a .22 to have a try with hunting/pest control instead of my .177 and he said "I wouldn't bother, .177 is the best" surely that's for me to decide?

That's the second shop that I have been in that the retailer has convinced me not to spend anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Hellequin View Post

On a serious note, I like both calibres.

That said, I love .22 and have had lots of success with it over the years. It's always going to be a little easier from a static set up but even when on a walk about I think if the range is kept sensible then the trajectory isn't a massive issue. Especially with today's modern reticles.

Each to their own but I do like a nice .22
    Yep ^ ^ ^
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    This is merely marketing Mick, four weeks before the bash will see the start of the advertising campaign. He may come across as a nice quiet chap, but he's cunning, really cunning.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    I've been hunting with air rifles for approx 28 years and nearly always with .177. I got a Scorpion T10 in .22 about six months ago, I must say I'm very impressed with this gun. We all know the potential for pass through with .177, but on the whole ive been very happy with the calibre and will stay with it for longer range rabbits.

Now I have a permanent hide set up 30 yards from a sitty tree which attracts, Jackdaws, crows and pigeons, without getting into yet another calibre debate, what I will say is that this Scorpion in .22 is dropping everything, without any runners.
    I await the "hit em in the right spot and .177 will be just as effective" crowd. But this is my findings, at the moment I'm reaching for the Scorpion everytime.

We all, as responsible hunters try to avoid wounding any living creature, BUT there are times when it occasionally happens. I personally are finding hunting from my hide has so far (touch wood) been 100% one shot kills so far. The great man himself, JD (RIP) said in his opinion .22 was better for hunting. I'm starting to think that also.

I have a T10 .22 tac, and cant praise it enough - I got xtx to put a reg in it, and now get 120 very consistent shots, with no power curve, and very accurate with 16grn aa fields. They are a great, reliable, fast & robust rifle, good choice!

Im the same mate. I have used all 4 calibres over the years but i have always opted for .177 with a heavy pellet as my main hunting rifle. In around Dec i picked up a .22 Ultra SE to use as a second rifle, but, i cant put it down. I find i laser 90% of my shots anyway so the forgiving trajectory isnt of much benefit. The extra whack is very satisfying too!

I'm loving this Scorpion, off to the farm tomorrow, taking two guns, side by side and yep, my Scorpion

BTW i was just thinking if you have the old style T10? (non se model) and need the old magazine to fit it, let me know as i have a .22 one for sale? Because the new style bsa mags do not fit the older T10 rifles without modifying the gun to take them. cheers m

This is why I can't wait to get my mits on my new R10! .177 does have its place but with an LRF in your pocket and well practiced holdover points there is no difference accuracy. As soon as I got my range finder I realised I needed a .22 PCP.
    Atb
    Rhys
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.