Thread: 1st time reloaded the 223

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bullbarrel View Post
    I doubt it will be cost effective.

Set of Lee dies £30.
    Lee hand press £40 or normal press for ~£60.
    scales of £15
    Trickler £15
    Electronic measure off £15
    100 .223 bullets ~£25-£35
    1lb powder ~£50
    Resuse brass £0 or PPU ~£40
    Primers 500 for ~£18

And that will give you enough powder for about 350 rounds.

But if you look at your first 100 rounds ~£220
    Or 400 for ~£360.

I've not looked up any of those prices and bound to have missed something.

So its unlikely to save you any money but it will give you the best rounds for your rifle and reloading is a whole lot of fun. And when you add extra calibres it then starts to make economic sense.
    Pretty much as bullbarrel has said ------ you can get a lee anniversary kit for around £100-110 ish it's better to get a different scale around £60 ish then your dies powder and bullets of your choice ----But if you gun shoots privvi ammo then its cheaper to buy that you find that most who do reload shoot a few different calibre's or there guns only like home loads to get good accuracy

Thinking that reloading is cheaper than factory CAN be misleading.

IF you shoot less than 100 rounds of any particular calibre a year, then reloading will be costing you for many years before you reach the break-even point, let alone the 'reloading is cheaper' point.

However, reloading, for most people, is a way of shooting MORE, and given that, is a fast-track to not only getting the best possible ammunition for your particular rifle, but EVENTUALLY saving some money. If, like me, you have a few calibres that are utterly crazy prices as factory stuff, or shoot obsolete calibres, then reloading is not really an option.

With something as common and cheap as .223Rem, particularly for hunting, I would leave reloading alone.

tac