Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1st time reloaded the 223

Probably because of limited demand.
    Looking on guntrader 300+ .223 for sale, 20 .17 hornets and 10
    Yes 10 .22 hornet,
    It's not the popular Calibre it once was
    Good deals with:
    Dunn220, Leon, Bullcelt, stink£r, u.k.neil, supersharpshoot, william and airgun god, GEORGEY, telgun, Simon P and stubbs4612, Wellhouse0, harpo

can we please get back to MY Topic thank you

Quote Originally Posted by anthony View Post
    I think its all relevant what's been said. You could be going down the reloading road for very little gain.
    It all depends on what and how much your shooting.

BBF
    "The grass is always greener on the other side"

Think of it like running a car, most people will say it does so many mpg, so "P" per mile is the price of a gallon divided by mpg, they forget the cost of tax, servicing, tyre wear, parking etc etc.

Most reloader's don't include the cost of equipment in the price per round because tools are an asset that last years or can be sold on if you stop.

So in consumables, bullets £25/100 = 25p each, primer 5p, powder maybe 10-15p, cases 28p ea but divided by the number of times they can be reloaded so ?? call it 50p per bang.

So you might save 20-50p per shot depending on what factory ammo you use but it will take 500-1000 shots to make back the initial outlay of equipment to make them.
    but
    The actual reloading can become a hobby in itself & doing the load testing is great fun if frustrating at times.
    Last edited by angrybear; 28-02-2017 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Think of it like running a car, most people will say it does so many mpg, so "P" per mile is the price of a gallon divided by mpg, they forget the cost of tax, servicing, tyre wear, parking etc etc.

Most reloader's don't include the cost of equipment in the price per round because tools are an asset that last years or can be sold on if you stop.

So in consumables, bullets £25/100 = 25p each, primer 5p, powder maybe 10-15p, cases 28p ea but divided by the number of times they can be reloaded so ?? call it 50p per bang.

So you might save 20-50p per shot depending on what factory ammo you use but it will take 500-1000 shots to make back the initial outlay of equipment to make them.
    but
    The actual reloading can become a hobby in itself & doing the load testing is great fun if frustrating at times.

thanks for your info and i just picked this lot up for a very good price
    lee classic 4 hole turret press
    hornady dies
    100 223 cases
    lee powder scales
    lube and felt pad
    lee case trimmer

sparko is online now One of Tiger Woods' lovers...
    hornady dies
    100 223 cases
    lee powder scales
    lube and felt pad
    lee case trimmer
    Excellent, so all you need I'd your chosen bullet, powder & primers .... And instead of sleeping 8 hrs a night, you will manage 5 until you get your loads right ... All good clean fun ...😊
    Not sure where I`m going.....But I`ll get there someday

Quote Originally Posted by sparko View Post
    Excellent, so all you need I'd your chosen bullet, powder & primers .... And instead of sleeping 8 hrs a night, you will manage 5 until you get your loads right ... All good clean fun ...😊
    i was thinking n133 powder + cci small rifle primers + 53 grn V-Max

Quote Originally Posted by Daveo View Post
    Probably because of limited demand.
    Looking on guntrader 300+ .223 for sale, 20 .17 hornets and 10
    Yes 10 .22 hornet,
    It's not the popular Calibre it once was
    That's because people don't sell them on! It is as popular as the 17H and a lot of people are replacing the HMR with either hornet some preferring the new kid on the block some going the traditional route.

In terms of cost of reloading there really is nothing in it between 0.22H and 0.223 other than 7 - 15 grains of powder so not surprising cost is on a par.
    Thanks for looking

hornady dies
    100 223 cases
    lee powder scales
    lube and felt pad
    lee case trimmer
    i was thinking n133 powder + cci small rifle primers + 53 grn V-Max
    Sounds good on the kit, maybe see if there is a way of using the turret press as a single stage press as you're new to all this you may be better doing each stage on its own to get familiar with it and whilst doing load development, then the multi stage function can be used for churnin out batches of ammo in one hit (provided you don't mind loading dirty brass).

Recipe sounds good, just need to start working up how much and how long now, I generally cross reference the load data on Viht and Nosler's websites to come up with my start and max loads . . .
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post

OP you have been warned! particularly if you start loading for more than one calibre for multiple disciplines
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    Sounds good on the kit, maybe see if there is a way of using the turret press as a single stage press as you're new to all this you may be better doing each stage on its own to get familiar with it and whilst doing load development, then the multi stage function can be used for churnin out batches of ammo in one hit (provided you don't mind loading dirty brass).

Recipe sounds good, just need to start working up how much and how long now, I generally cross reference the load data on Viht and Nosler's websites to come up with my start and max loads . . .
    yha im going to start off loading as a single stage press
    and as for the 100 223 brass there clean brass + im getting a Ultrasonic cleaner this week

best tip...buy good quality once fired brass

Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post

Easy to set the Lee turret press up as single station, probably the best way to use it unless doing volume pistol rounds. You can leave it set up with two calibres, Nae problemo.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    Easy to set the Lee turret press up as single station, probably the best way to use it unless doing volume pistol rounds. You can leave it set up with two calibres, Nae problemo.
    No experience with progressive presses but figured it would be
    Thanks for looking

yha im going to start off loading as a single stage press
    and as for the 100 223 brass there clean brass + im getting a Ultrasonic cleaner this week
    Sounds good, my point was to use as a progressive press you go from fired case to loaded round in 4 (?) pulls on the arm, the brass doesn't leave the press so no chance to clean the case or more importantly the primer pockets, if you're using as a single stage no prob's.

With the US cleaner personally I wouldn't muck around with potions and recipes just buy a 5L bottle of seaclean 2 for £25 or thereabouts, does a grand job and will last ages!
    Thanks for looking