Thread: silencer affecting accuracy

silencer affecting accuracy

ive had a few hundred pellets through my new ultra xl and accuracy is starting to get good , at 30 meters im grouping inside a 5p bit with out a silencer. but silencer attached its about an inch and a half group , theres no clipping , tried a deben whisper and swift stumpy both with same results, silencer off and its straight back to 5p size . any one know whats going on ? or do i just need to run it in fully ? with the ultra i can live without a silencer as its not my main gun and will be used at ranges only

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    That's odd. Does the bore look central? Does the thread look ok? What caliber is it?
    BSA sell a good mod (the VC) that is adjustable for each caliber, but I wouldn't say to go out and get a new mod until you figure out what the problem is.
    My old Ultra always shot beautifully with the mod on. Never fired it much without the mod as it was so loud...

This is a bit left of field but it could conceivably have something to do with barrel harmonics...possibly try putting the mod on, and then adding a weight at different parts of the mod and barrel, to see if it affects grouping.

How do you know there's no clipping btw?
    Good deals with these members

silencer

you don't say what calibre if its a .177 try a .22 silencer as this will produce less turbulence upon exit

theres no sign of clipping or paint off, the stumpy pulls apart as well so had a look, both mods are universal , rifle is .177
    i had forgot to clean the barrel before i used it (duuurrrr) but done that now so all factory oil is out and its squeeky clean
    it is bloody loud with out a mod mind lol
    Last edited by pikk; 15-02-2017 at 07:46 PM.

I think Eyebull is onto something with regards to harmonics, I'm not of the opinion that air turbulence causes too much of an issue with accuracy. With something like an air stripper adjusting the stripper just finely tunes the harmonics.

Out of the blue, what pellets have you tried through the silencer and does it effect them all ?
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

Could be barrel harmonics.

Tried a different supressor?

Might not be clipping at the muzzle but in the baffles or they could be loose.

Use a cleaning rod, wrap some masking tape around it (very neatly) to make two "bearings" with it say 6" apart that fit the barrel perfectly, place in barrel halfway down and put moderator back on. This will check for concentricity, there should be equal clearance around the rod and any potential clipping/light rubbing should be revealed.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    Might not be clipping at the muzzle but in the baffles or they could be loose.
    Ehh , on two different silencers? But it could be that the mounting isnt allowing the silencers to butt up square to the barrel and canting it slightly of to one side. Put a nice bright light down at the breach end and then look down the barrel from the silencer and see that its dead central.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Could be barrel harmonics.

Tried a different supressor?
    Sorry, missed in your original post that you had done just that.

Barrel harmonics then, though still worth trying different suppressors, ranging from steel PH to delrin ones.

ultra

hi, have u checked the barrel grub screws , barrel may be slightly loose also id check the breech isn't loose. chap at local gun club had same problem as you've described and that ended up being the problem with his .. atb ...