Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
Interesting - even for someone not mechanically minded like me. That said, I had a Mk3 as a young teenager, often took high shots and never had a problem with the pellet falling back. My Mk3 is doing 11.8ft/lbs with BSA Elites (tested by Protek), so is probably well run in and perhaps exceptional too. These rifles were designed to do about 10.5ft/lbs or some 550fps, depending upon the pellet. That is what my friend's achieves.

I had an Airsporter a couple of years after my first Mk3 and it was erratic in behaviour. It was no more powerful than the Mk3 and I have read articles where some Airsporters were less powerful. I think we can argue the toss on this.

This is a fascinating discussion.

Rgds
A
It was usually the .177 that suffered more the problem with pellets into the transfer port when elevated but it did occasionally happen in .22
There is no debate regarding the Airsporter being more powerful. You must have had a rough one.
Airsporters could very easily exceed the legal limit if messed with too much and stock could run 11ftlbs plus.
The Mk3 was 10.1ftlb gun.....occasionally a tad more .....smaller cylinder......transfer port too big.