Rowlocks, I fear I am becoming a proper collector.

Back up a bit. My formative airgun years as a kid were around 1978-83. Back then, it was obvious to me that the only really good air rifles were full power German break barrels. Maybe a look-in for the Airsporter S, Vulcan, and Tracker. But, really, if you could afford an 80, 45, 124/127 and not have one there was something wrong with you. If you'd offered me a Mk1 Airsporter or a Webley Mk3 - or even a Service - free, I'd probably have turned you down, or more sensibly taken it and traded it on something "better" and more modern.

Fast forward more years than I care to think, and I have just taken delivery of two Series 3 Mk3s. One standard, one with PH16M rear sight.

Initial non-shooting impressions:

- build and finish quality are absolutely awesome;
- period charm matches and may exceed that of my Mk1 Airsporter (though not its elegance);
- butt is too thin (not just a period thing, compared to eg a contemporary Diana 35) and far too short (though I am 6'2" and lanky).

So, in short, having taken the plunge, I can see what a lot of you guys like. Just hope the pair shoot well.

Question: does anyone know (Chris Thrale's book doesn't say) why they put the loading tap lever on the wrong side?