Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Webley Mk3, initial impressions

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Airgun myth says that the Webley Mk III is the only British air-rifle that old Herman Weihrauch had any respect for.

I like the build quality, but the pistol grip design and low comb are a massive turn-off. The one I borrowed was less powerful and less accurate than my shabby BSA Meteor and I wasn't impressed, it was like an old Bentley or something that appeared massive and solid, but had a 40 bhp side-valve engine farting and vibrating under the hood.

Looking at the direct competitor of the same period, the Diana/Original 50, I wouldn't hesitate to choose the German rifle. The Mk III is an oft-praised and valorised rifle, but when I met it in the metal, it was a let-down.

I own a Mk3, of which I am the second owner. I would be most interested to find out the model series. The serial No is 17040. It is drilled and tapped for the PH peep sight. The foresight is not original. Thanks in anticipation.
    never put off till tommorow, what you can put off till the day after
    Walter CP1 (x2). Feinwerkbau C60. Hammerli 450. Webley mk3 Baikal IZH 46M. QB78. Crosman 766

Quote Originally Posted by chucky123 View Post
    I own a Mk3, of which I am the second owner. I would be most interested to find out the model series. The serial No is 17040. It is drilled and tapped for the PH peep sight. The foresight is not original. Thanks in anticipation.
    Mid-1950s Series 3.

Hi Geezer, thanks for that.
    This gun is of excellent quality, and compares favourably with anything out of Germany, at the time. Defeated by clever marketing and blather from so called shooting press.
    never put off till tommorow, what you can put off till the day after
    Walter CP1 (x2). Feinwerkbau C60. Hammerli 450. Webley mk3 Baikal IZH 46M. QB78. Crosman 766