Thread: Crosman 2289 carbine scope

Crosman 2289 carbine scope

Essentially this is a 1322 with a fixed open stock, steel breech with 11mm dovetail, same dimensions as a 2250 ratty, just pump up.

Could anyone advise on a decent scope for this configuration, is bigger always better ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by David22 View Post
    Essentially this is a 1322 with a fixed open stock, steel breech with 11mm dovetail, same dimensions as a 2250 ratty, just pump up.

Could anyone advise on a decent scope for this configuration, is bigger always better ?

Thanks
    IMHO, not on a small portable gun like that. I tried various combos on my 2250 and in the end used a 30mm tunnel type red dot from JSR. Fine for what I need it for and keeps the gun light overall. At a stretch something like a bug buster, a compact x32mm, but it really depends on what you plan to use it for. An un-modded standard barrel 1322 isn't really a hunting gun as essentially it's still a pistol.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day

Thanks

Not at all. Particularly on a small carbine like the 22xx.
    TBH the thing that people most often forget when choosing a scope, is that the scope height relative to the comb should be such that you could mount the gun with your eyes closed, open them, and have a good sight picture without having to adjust your position. This is good gunfit, and will account for more targets hit than any amount of optical gadgetry.

As the standard plastic crosman stock is configured more for use with open sights than with a scope, it sits quite low, so if you whack a whopping great 56mm obj. scope on it you will have to move your head vertically to get a good sight picture, and will lose good contact with the comb. Plus it will probably weigh as much as the rifle

Gunfit aside, a good rule of thumb for airguns used at shorter ranges is to have the scope sit as close to the action as possible. This will, most of the time, give you the best PBR (point blank range; the portion of the trajectory where you can aim directly at the target without having to holdover/under).

Obviously you are somewhat limited by the need to access the top of the breech to load the gun, but you should look for a scope and mounts that get you as close as practical to it. I would look at a fixed mag, small to medium objective scope. Something like 4x32, or 6x40. Or possibly even consider a red dot or holographic sight - these work quite well on rattys and can be mounted forward of the breech.
    Good deals with these members

Thanks for the advice, I've fitted a second hand Hawke red dot (scope) forward of the breech opening (just), zero'd at 5m and it's perfect, pellet on pellet
    Light & compact in keeping with the nature of the gun - Cheers

Thanks for the advice, I've fitted a second hand Hawke red dot (scope) forward of the breech opening (just), zero'd at 5m and it's perfect, pellet on pellet
    Light & compact in keeping with the nature of the gun - Cheers
    Glad it's worked out, enjoy!