Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Daystate Huntsman Regal vs Weihrauch HW100

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    Firstly ANY gun can and does leak. I have a 100 and its leaked. Big deal. Its easy fix. I have a Daystate Air Ranger....it leaks....same thing its no big deal.

We are talking high pressure air and some seal material is better than others so like anything servicing your kit is a requirement not a surprise.

I have had an Air Wolf that back fed pellets into the breech. Couldnt get on with it so went back to a 100.

Rifles are about fit. If the 100 didnt fit then no problem...find one that does. It is not as though we are stuck on choice.

However...when it comes to performance and use for a multi task rifle the 100 is a major contender.

I challenge you to look at any make or model and not find grumbles about it. Its mechanical so its going to fail or play up.

You have to look at the bigger picture. When the 100 was launched it was well ahead of any other rifle and arguably....still is.

But choose your kit to fit and do the job you need it to do and do your homework and one should be fine.

If the 100 has any issues its weight and balance and simply due tonthefact that they have tonuse steel tubes which are typically over engineered.

Switching to an alloy totally transforms the 100 and you can either keep the steel.or sell it to offset cost.

Both companies have a tough time when it comes to customer service. Personally I have never had a real issue with either but as soon as its out of warranty I wod remove any anti tamper as I check and adjust my rifle if it need it. Again its part of the deal of legal limit gun ownership.

As for power shifts.....there are so many factors that can affect this even down to metals used and grease etc. Temps have a huge potential affect. Again you have just got to deal with it. O havent owned a single rifle that didnt need a tweak iro power output.

One needs to be specific and not generalise or band wagon so a good deal of reading between the lines is required when deciding on a new rifle but really...the best advice is shoulder the rifle with your eyes shut and let your rifle and ody tell you if it fits.or not.

Then look at the pros and cons of what it has to do for you.

The 100 is a fine rifle. So is my Air Ranger and both are keeper.

Fit is king
    Yes bud agreed , Have sold most of my pcp Guns and just left with the ones I want to keep which is a mk2 phoenix , daystate air ranger and I also got a mk2 rapid and 2x mk1 rapids, As for fit is king, I have always said the ugly stocked or early stocked mk1 rapid I have always found better than any other gun for shouldering, I prefer it to my mk2 , It just fits me better, For me another factor of choosing a gun is if it goes wrong, If your able to sort a problem yourself of you are able to source help for a problem you may get with a gun then that would be a good factor on choosing one , More so second hand, I myself have had trouble with my Hw 100 , DS air wolf , mk3 daystate also my huntsman classic but was lucky enough to sort the problem out myself. They all get problems and most suffer when they don't get used much, Back to the Hw100 , mine leaked it also had problems with power mostly due to the grease they bucket in and also the low shot count was another factor for me, Again is why mine are all buddy bottle Guns, But to say the hw100 don't leak is quite an understatement.

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by madcarlos View Post
    Yes bud agreed , Have sold most of my pcp Guns and just left with the ones I want to keep which is a mk2 phoenix , daystate air ranger and I also got a mk2 rapid and 2x mk1 rapids, As for fit is king, I have always said the ugly stocked or early stocked mk1 rapid I have always found better than any other gun for shouldering, I prefer it to my mk2 , It just fits me better, For me another factor of choosing a gun is if it goes wrong, If your able to sort a problem yourself of you are able to source help for a problem you may get with a gun then that would be a good factor on choosing one , More so second hand, I myself have had trouble with my Hw 100 , DS air wolf , mk3 daystate also my huntsman classic but was lucky enough to sort the problem out myself. They all get problems and most suffer when they don't get used much, Back to the Hw100 , mine leaked it also had problems with power mostly due to the grease they bucket in and also the low shot count was another factor for me, Again is why mine are all buddy bottle Guns, But to say the hw100 don't leak is quite an understatement.
    If your mk 1 stock is a better fit than the mk 2 you can get a mk 1 stock to fit mk 2 mechanism, just ask Custom Stock Sheffield, they are very helpful that way!

But to say the hw100 don't leak is quite an understatement.
    No-one said that, but to say MOST HW100s leak is like saying most BMWs will need a service. Every car needs regular servicing just like any pcp.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster View Post
    No-one said that, but to say MOST HW100s leak is like saying most BMWs will need a service. Every car needs regular servicing just like any pcp.

Chris
    Looking back over the years, As with the huntsman classic being known for being underpowered the Hw100 would be known for leaking, Don't think it's a big deal if people take these factors into consideration when buying,

secretagentmole Guest
    Looking back over the years, As with the huntsman classic being known for being underpowered the Hw100 would be known for leaking, Don't think it's a big deal if people take these factors into consideration when buying,
    But the HW100 is not known for leaking, if anything it is known for the factory glue congealing and then running a tad hot!

I did not know the Huntsman Classic had a reputation for being underpowered. The Regal certainly has garnered that reputation!

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    If your mk 1 stock is a better fit than the mk 2 you can get a mk 1 stock to fit mk 2 mechanism, just ask Custom Stock Sheffield, they are very helpful that way!
    Yes bud, I have 2 x mk1 and a mk2 rapid, And funny enough I did say to my mate the other day that if I sold one I would possibly swap the stock over but saying that the trigger on the mk1s feel in a better position for myself than my mk2, But thanks it's always an option.

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    But the HW100 is not known for leaking, if anything it is known for the factory glue congealing and then running a tad hot!

I did not know the Huntsman Classic had a reputation for being underpowered. The Regal certainly has garnered that reputation!
    I had 4 huntsman classic,s and 2 was under powered but a 10 mins job to correct, Think each one I was nagged to swap or sell and only sold the last huntsman as I bought a air ranger , yes my hw100 was full of grease in the workings and I did manage to get that up to 11.4 but for me shooting the huntsman and hw100 side by side the hw100 could not achieve the performance I was getting with the huntsman, They were both 22 cal , I always did think on trying a hw100 in 177 but the low shot count would be no good for my use, That's why I've gone onto buddy bottle type Guns, My shooting requires the good shot count .

Quote Originally Posted by whipsaw View Post
    Thank you all for your posts. There seems to be a question mark over Daystate's reputation at the moment which is a damn shame. Spending nearly a grand on a gun and then having to sort out issues with it is totally unacceptable. I was also unaware that the Huntsman was un-regulated. I'm now much more likely to go for the Weihrauch, but this does mean I have only myself to blame if I can't hit anything!
    Huntsman is unregulated by has this sling shot mechanism or something. It does make the gun pretty efficient through out the sweet range but it still has a power curve. HW is regulated and the rugulator is a damned good one. Whenever I have read about issues with it it has been traced to a hamfisted EX owner who didn't set it up properly after messing with it.
    There was a thread about one last month. The gun was inconsistent and had power issues and it got sorted once the regulator and the hammer were set up back to spec. HWs are also very easy to work on without the need to take the AT out as they have designed the AT to only restrict access to the hammer spring so the entire rifle can be dismanteled and serviced without the need to touch the AT that this includes the regulator. Try servicing a Daystate if you are brave.

A.G

But to say the hw100 don't leak is quite an understatement.[/QUOTE]

I dont I said they dont leak. Mine dud and no doybt will again. But nor are they shit. One has to remember there isnt a perfect rifle anywhere so its an agreement to live with a rifles characteristics. I am happy to make those choices.

Simple PCPs are rarer nowadays so home brew is trickier especially if you have the talent of jade goody at gunsmithing
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by villaman View Post
    Thanks Chris ,I think a few on here did not believe me on this matter . Oh well that's forums for you !!
    I believe you. It happened to me on a Air Wolf I once owned. One day it jammed-would not cock. I took block apart where the firing mech is housed to find 5 yep 5 crushed up pellets. It was one of the first Air Wolfs made. I rang Daystate, they said yes it is a problem we have seen before and we have a remedy-they sent me a pack of o rings, one to be fitted over the pin/probe that pushes the pellet through and back hard against the block. Never had any prob after that.

Don't ask me how they got in there, I still do not understand.

Kat.

digitaldwarf is offline A big boy did it and he ran away!
    i had an early daystate mk3 sport it suffer from pellets falling back into the block also an airwolf with the same problem . not in the least surprised to see that it is still hapening with some models . my 2 hw 100 that i have one leaked untill i replaced some o rings the other never leaked
    DONT BEAM ME UP SCOTTY I'M HAVING A CR__.__..._......

Quote Originally Posted by kat1 View Post
    I believe you. It happened to me on a Air Wolf I once owned. One day it jammed-would not cock. I took block apart where the firing mech is housed to find 5 yep 5 crushed up pellets. It was one of the first Air Wolfs made. I rang Daystate, they said yes it is a problem we have seen before and we have a remedy-they sent me a pack of o rings, one to be fitted over the pin/probe that pushes the pellet through and back hard against the block. Never had any prob after that.

Don't ask me how they got in there, I still do not understand.

Kat.
    I also had heard of this problem of pellets falling into the mechanism. No gun is absolutely perfect, that is for sure.

A.G

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    I also had heard of this problem of pellets falling into the mechanism. No gun is absolutely perfect, that is for sure.

A.G
    Yes but it is a right bar steward when roost shooting having the pellets fall backwards into the mechanism when you retract the probe (it clicks the magazine round, the pellet falls out and then gets chewed up as you push the bolt back), sometimes jamming the gun, always leading to a dry fire, always a damned nuisance, does not happen with BSA magazines, does not happen with HW, Hatsan, Evanix, FX, but somehow Daystate engineered it so it happens with theirs...

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Daystates fix for customers who complained was to send a plastic sleeve in the post.

Guess what happened?!

It fell in to the breech when fitted.

Rolls royce of airguns indeed.
    Master Debater

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Daystates fix for customers who complained was to send a plastic sleeve in the post.

Guess what happened?!

It fell in to the breech when fitted.

Rolls royce of airguns indeed.
    It was a Rolls Royce, if you shot down hill or on the flat only....