Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .22 multi-pump rifles

He certainly did, Geez.

It was the Whaley one, I seem to remember.

And I also remember seeing on here that his findings were not exactly impartial, as he had a financial interest in the gun's success.

I did always find his tests / reviews entertaining, though.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    To which I would add the late 70s British pump-up fad, exemplified by the Whaley and Marshall Crosmans
    This was a very interesting concept, imagine if it had a reg, it would have been a good halfway house, quite advanced for the time

We're very spoiled these days...

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Its here and gorgeous!!

I've been having a plink in the garden, its easy enough to pump, plenty of power for tin cans at 3 pumps while staying quiet, 6 pumps has some poke and is ok, 8 pumps is loud and knocks lumps off stuff!

Build quality is ok and it feels good in tbe hands, trigger is a little rough and the hammer has a fair amount of bounce and twang. All these should be easily fixable though.
    All in all its a lot more solid than my Crosmans ever were.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Its here and gorgeous!!

I've been having a plink in the garden, its easy enough to pump, plenty of power for tin cans at 3 pumps while staying quiet, 6 pumps has some poke and is ok, 8 pumps is loud and knocks lumps off stuff!

Build quality is ok and it feels good in tbe hands, trigger is a little rough and the hammer has a fair amount of bounce and twang. All these should be easily fixable though.
    Agree with all of the above, Mr TB.

Back in the mid-eighties, I met a shooting friend. Prior to meeting him, my only experience of pump-ups had been the 766. He had Sheridans, Setras, Sharps and, as he affectionately referred to them, "plastic and snot Crosmans". So, yes, they always felt a little "flaky" and disposable, due to the plastic and die cast parts, but they could also perform, very much in underdog fashion.

But those Sheridans, Benjamins, Setras (and, no doubt, some earlier Crosmans - as the 140 I briefly owned) have those lovely compact yet hand filling lines, wonderful heft and solid feel.

I've always wondered about having a play with the hammers on my 1377 and Ratties, y'know, maybe polish the hammer tube and have some wonderful mini Delrin guides for the hammer springs, adding that air of refinement. Be very interested to see how nicely you have this thing feeling by Bash time!

Ooh; just think....TBT Ratty hammer springs and guides coming up......
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Its here and gorgeous!!

Really glad you like it.

But, while I have never owned a 392, I have handled its immediate predecessor, the C9A, which I think is basically the same gun. Compared to my C9 or 140, or to a Sharp Ace or 1400, it felt cheaper, flimsier, less well finished, more plasticky.

So if you like the 392, I think you'd love one of the older pumpers.

I have no doubt the older ones are better, but a new 392 was available straight away and is totally tax deductable!!

In the fullness of time I would like a historical pumper collection. Like springers they have soul and character all of their own.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    You could try getting a secondhand Feinwerkbau 600 and have a .22 Walther barrel fitted to it.

That's the only .22 pump-up I could be arsed with.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Nice personal history, Tony.

And didn't that Rod Lynton bloke use a pump-up in AGW?
    Yeah, Rod was always 'pumping things up' in AGW.

I have no doubt the older ones are better, but a new 392 was available straight away and is totally tax deductable!!

In the fullness of time I would like a historical pumper collection. Like springers they have soul and character all of their own.

From a service and repair point of view the later guns are much easier to work on than the C9 Bluestreak/Silverstreak, Nick.

The valve bodies were soldered into the pump tubes on the earlier guns so a seal change is like performing keyhole surgery.
    It's much easier to work on the later valve units as you can remove them from the pump tube to repair them.

All the best Mick

Thanks Mick, this will be coming apart soon?