Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .22 multi-pump rifles

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Now, though I host the Boinger Bash I must confess to my secret love of pump ups.

I have ---
    1 Chinese pumper,
    2 Crosman 1300s,
    about 10 1322/1377s,
    2 Crosman 140s,
    1 Setra,
    1 Silverstreak,
    1 Bluestreak,
    1 Titan Mohawk
    1 Daystate Sportsman.

And at the next Bash I'll be taking delivery of a single stroke Mohawk action and a Parker Hale Dragon action.

All the best Mick
    No Sharp?

Always reassuring to see that others own even more guns than I.

Unless I've forgotten one, my multi pumps are a C9, 2200, 2200W, 1377 and a 140. SSPs: Dragon, Daisy 840, FAS604 x 2, Nemesis, Gamo Compact.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    No Sharp?

Always reassuring to see that others own even more guns than I.

Unless I've forgotten one, my multi pumps are a C9, 2200, 2200W, 1377 and a 140. SSPs: Dragon, Daisy 840, FAS604 x 2, Nemesis, Gamo Compact.
    You want to see how many boingers our Mick has, Geezer.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I have a crosman medalist, a c9a and more recently an Ace. I like the concept but having tried them all I've got to say I'm surprised that there is so much li6ve for the multistroke pneumatic. You have to put so much effort in they are just not practical! Perhaps an interesting way to get a recoil free rifle before the advent of the PCP but I can't what the point is now.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by oneseven View Post
    I have a crosman medalist, a c9a and more recently an Ace. I like the concept but having tried them all I've got to say I'm surprised that there is so much li6ve for the multistroke pneumatic. You have to put so much effort in they are just not practical! Perhaps an interesting way to get a recoil free rifle before the advent of the PCP but I can't what the point is now.
    My first 2200 was about 1984, so quite a while before PCP became accessible. I like the self contained-ness of it, and the ability to use it at very low power/noise if needed. Yes they're a bit homey, but they are fun in a rose-tinted way.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    My first 2200 was about 1984, so quite a while before PCP became accessible. I like the self contained-ness of it, and the ability to use it at very low power/noise if needed. Yes they're a bit homey, but they are fun in a rose-tinted way.
    Very similar to me then, Nick.

I bought my .177" Setra from "The Mart" in 1983 and used it as my main hunting rifle until I got my first 77 in 1986.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Very similar to me then, Nick.

I bought my .177" Setra from "The Mart" in 1983 and used it as my main hunting rifle until I got my first 77 in 1986.
    With me it was starlings by the dozen around the farm (times were different) and untold squizzers in the woods. All with open sights due to the Crosman barrel moving independantly from the reciever.

With me it was starlings by the dozen around the farm (times were different) and untold squizzers in the woods. All with open sights due to the Crosman barrel moving independantly from the reciever.

I used my Webley Hawk for Starlings, Nick.

The Setra with a 4 X 28 scope was my rabbit and pigeon gun.

Exactly......bought my Blue Streak new in 79/80, even though it's agricultural and got a real shitty trigger it's still supremely accurate and looks "proper" always happy to take it to the range and have a bicep building session

Same here. And they are light (4-6 lbs) and compact. The ability to shoot at 11 ft/lbs (at the expense of time and effort) at distance or at lower power (quick and easy) for quiet short range practice is nice.

And if you are a student of airgun history, the pre-eminent place of the multi-pump in America from 1920-1980 (and a bit beyond) means you ought to experience one, even if you usually reach for a springer or PCP for your shooting needs.

Considering my 2200s, they are cheap, and have poor sights and worse triggers. But they feel good in the hand, and are just likeable. In a way that many objectively better guns aren't.

.22 multi pumps

Sharp innova uuuuhmm yes have a Japanese made one well pleased.22 there are a few about sensible money £150 also Benjamin Franklin .22 but the Sharp puts that to shame then my ultimate Mossberg 500 8+1 I know I know but is a pump.

.22 multi pumps

Apart from the rather lovely Benjamin and less lovely Webley attempt, are there any other new multi-pumps about? I would love to find a new, old stock Crosman 2200, but I realise the chances are slim.
    Has anyone seen anything in local shops that could fit the bill?
    If you was nearer this Sunday the gun fair at The Motorcycle Museum By the Nec just off the A45 £8 entrance, surprised at what's lurking under the tables and cash is the wonga.

I am hoping to get a mint Ace at some stage. When I had one back in the day, yes not perfect, but I rarely missed with it and it could be tweaked especially the trigger pull

I've ordered a Benjamin/Crosman A392 and it should be here Wednesday. Are there any UK stockists of the Crosman/Williams peep sight? I tried ordering one from PyramidAir but they want $62 postage?!

Quote Originally Posted by oneseven View Post
    I have to agree with much of the above.

Yes, before the "modern era" PCPs rose to popularity, the pump-up's recoilless nature was a big attraction.

My first was a Crosman 766 which I bought new when I was 17. It seemed very powerful and was accurate, too. The barrel falling off after a few days of ownership didn't exactly endear me, though. Held in by a very weedy grub screw. Didn't keep it long.

In the mid to late eighties, I got an Innova (one of my friends had one and he loved it) and, later, an Ace. Didn't keep them that long, they weren't really "me".

Then, in the early 90s, I got another Innova. Yes, lovely and lightweight and very portable and took a fair amount of vermin.

But I always kept going back to my springers as, from the early 80s I had my sweet shooting Venom 80 and 77. One easy cocking stroke, sweet triggers and no messing.

I got a little carried away back in '09 with a few Crosman purchases...I already had a freebie Model 1, then bought a 766. Then three 1377s. Then three 2100s and a 760.

Yes, I love the styling of the 2100 and I fully get the "underdog" status thing, but I just wasn't feeling the love to shoot them. So, off they went, to be replaced by a HW45 and 98. Both keepers and I had stupidly let a 45 go in the early 90s.

Then, when I joined the BBS, I bought a Crosman era Blue Streak from Sparkeyman. Lovely rifle, totally mint and as described. But with the blow off valve...five pumps for 8.5ft.lbs, I seem to remember. So, although I loved its classic lines and overall feel, I really couldn't be bothered to start messing, so I swapped it back with Sparkeyman for a minty UK Xocet.

The only pump-up I still own is one of the 1377s. Fitted a steel breech, shoulder stock and 4x32 scope and it's super accurate (although I've not tried it at longer ranges). I prefer this platform to the 766/2100/2200 guns, especially the trigger. It mainly only gets used down the hallway on three pumps. But even that hasn't had a play for a while, as I just prefer the springers. One of my 30Ss (detuned) and Diana 24D are awesome for this purpose.

So, not knocking them, but I just prefer the ease of use, single stroke cocking, quality feel and superior triggers of my springers.

But then, as many have commented, there is just something so tactile and appealing about a Blue Streak or 2100 that I'll never say "never".

By the way, Nick, I used to have a starling clearing permission back in the early 80s. The place was RAMMED with them and I'd usually shoot around 200 on a Sunday morning. The guns I used back then were a 127 Sport and........

A HW35 in .177.

Awesome!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Nice personal history, Tony.

To which I would add the late 70s British pump-up fad, exemplified by the Whaley and Marshall Crosmans, and carried on with Sussex Armoury's marketing of Benjamin and Sheridan guns around the same time.

I remember aged 13 or 14 being very impressed by SA's ads that said things like "Until now this rifle has been a listed firearm and to possess one you needed a firearms certificate". And then extolled how their "skilled gunsmiths" had perfected them to work at UK levels (by crudely chopping down the hammer spring....).

And didn't that Rod Lynton bloke use a pump-up in AGW?