Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pellet selection for testing - best ones to have "in stock"?

Pellet selection for testing - best ones to have "in stock"?

Went to find out what the best pellet was in my Webley Tracker yesterday. I had the following .22 pellets to try at 25 meters.

Superdomes
    Falcons
    JSB Exacts
    Webley Venom

Out of the 4, 3 grouped about 40mm, the superdomes were 10mm max, maybe less.
    So that rifle is sorted, Superdomes for the Tracker.

Question is, what quality pellets do people consider the minimum to have for testing on various rifles? Would like to think 5 to 6 maximum in each cal would be all thats needed?

So in 22 how about

Superdomes
    Falcons
    JSB exacts
    H+N FTT
    ?

Falcons
    JSB Exacts
    AA Fields
    H+N FTT
    RWS Superfield or superdome?

PS, im not really interested in trying cheap end pellets that could be inconsistent even if they worked once in one rifle, would like to add to my stock of quality pellets.

Thanks!
    Thanks - Geoff.

Looking at your lists, I'd suggest possibly Crosman Boxed (but then, I've over 30 different in each .22 & .177) don't forget to try the different 'headsize', I've guns that spit 5.51 & 5.50 all over the place, but are very tight groups with 5.52 (same for their .177 'cousins')

Geoff I'd add accupells to your list. I've found them the best in quite a number of 22 legal limit rifles I've owned and/or shot.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    Geoff I'd add accupells to your list.
    Also AA diabolo field and some of the light ones like JSB RS/AA Express.

With all that has been mentioned I use them all - like yourself, the cheap ones tend to be just that, I've never found a descent one.

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Don't use them much myself, but JSB, AA and Falcon Accuracy Plus must be on the list.

For older British .22"s, Defiant Vintage. And Milbro TR. Apparently, Superpoints can do surprisingly well in them, but I have not tried them in about 25 years.

For anything: Superfields, Superdomes, Hobbies. R10s and Gecos in .177".

Bisley Mags for pneumatics/CO2.

Boxed Premiers also feature in my stash, particularly useful in .20" (Diana 45, Sheridan C9, Crosman SSP250).

These days, for my plinkers, I start with Hobbys and Superfields. If either groups well (they usually do), I stop there, because I am too busy/lazy to chase fractionally smaller groups.

Obviously, if I was back into longer-range pest control or serious competition, I'd do things differently.

I've found accupells to be poor in every rifle I've had,
    JSB's have to be the first pellet to try easily available, top quality and cheap if buying 10 or more.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithS View Post
    I've found accupells to be poor in every rifle I've had,
    JSB's have to be the first pellet to try easily available, top quality and cheap if buying 10 or more.
    Accupels used to be good, but since the manufacturer changed, they've gone downhill fast.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Nothing wrong with your lists, they're very similar to mine.
    If I'm shooting an older air rifle, I'd initially be reaching for Superdomes particularly in .22 cal. and for even older stuff the Defiant Vintage.

I'd probably add the Air Arms fields to your .177 list in both 4.51 and 4.52 and possibly the Express !
    “An airgun or two”………

JSB and, er, that's it.

I've honestly found JSB to be the best in just about everything and seldom bother trying much else.

I will give an honourable mention to Accupells in .22 - some of my Air Arms rifles have shot very well with them (although the .177s seem to be crap in everything).

And H&N FTT in .22 since some of my HWs have been very good with them.

But even then JSB have been just as good.

Buy a tin of every decent brand your local RFD stocks in the cal & weight range that you use and that should see you covered for initial testing

I've not yet had a rifle that shoots RWS worth a damn

In .22 Accupells or a JSB made/badged pellet has always worked, while in .177 Powapell has always been my pellet by which all others are judged.

JSB Exact 5.51 & 4.52 / Air Arms / FX Pellets
    Falcon Accuracy Plus
    AA Hunters / JSB Straton
    Bisley LRG

JSB Heavys / Daystate Heavy
    JSB Exact 4.52 & 4.53 / Air Arms
    JSB RS / Falcon Accuracy Plus
    Bisley Magnums / H&N FTT

I want another go with some gimmicks 177 predator Polymags don't actually know if they will fit in a Ultra Mag , would love it if they shot well.

Honourable mention to RWS Super Domes / Super Fields as if these shoot well your onto a cheap pellet, but they don't work in my guns, like spirograph.

TBH after spending a small fortune on pellets as DJP says But "even then JSB have been just as good"

mine liked accuppels

I think that the thing with accupels is that they are a harder pellet and so work better in a barrel with a lower twist rate.

My FTP900 hates them, my HW100 hates them but my Evanix Sniper shoots better with accupels than any other pellet.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

Superdomes/Superfields are generally my go-to pellets on acquiring a new rifle...

Accupells don't seem to be as good as they used to be...

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    Nothing wrong with your lists, they're very similar to mine.
    If I'm shooting an older air rifle, I'd initially be reaching for Superdomes particularly in .22 cal. and for even older stuff the Defiant Vintage.

I'd probably add the Air Arms fields to your .177 list in both 4.51 and 4.52 and possibly the Express !
    Been shooting a new tin of JSB Express 4.52 today , Brilliant !

Would definetly add them to my lists !
    “An airgun or two”………