Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Webley & Scott Service - The Holy Grail?

Unhappy Webley & Scott Service - The Holy Grail?

Please,
    What makes this rifle one of the essential collectors Holy Grail of air rifles so desirable? Why do we go weak at the knees and empty our wallets of hard earned cash to lay our hands on one? Even near scrap rusty examples, or parts, can only be afforded by local council execs. Why do they command such high prices? Rarity? History? Quirky looks? A technical innovation of its time? It is not as if it is so significant in its purpose or design that warrants it as an icon of its time, or is it? Whilst anything has a meaning and a desirability to the eye of the beholder, and quite rightly so......But why is it so desirable? Can anyone convince me it is the Holy Grail of air rifles and I need to but one? What will it do for me? Will I be happy, but, poorer? How would I treat it? Is it meant to be used, but then, the fear of some breakage could be very costly? Are they fragile? Are they robust? Should it be in a glass cage? Do they need to be in a climate controlled environment? Do they really work? Which of model of them is the most collectible? Why? Why? Why? How many Relums or Gamos could I buy for price of a good Service Mk2?

Best regards to all......

mk2.

Quote Originally Posted by SRV1 View Post
    Please,
    What makes this rifle one of the essential collectors Holy Grail of air rifles so desirable? Why do we go weak at the knees and empty our wallets of hard earned cash to lay our hands on one? Even near scrap rusty examples, or parts, can only be afforded by local council execs. Why do they command such high prices? Rarity? History? Quirky looks? A technical innovation of its time? It is not as if it is so significant in its purpose or design that warrants it as an icon of its time, or is it? Whilst anything has a meaning and a desirability to the eye of the beholder, and quite rightly so......But why is it so desirable? Can anyone convince me it is the Holy Grail of air rifles and I need to but one? What will it do for me? Will I be happy, but, poorer? How would I treat it? Is it meant to be used, but then, the fear of some breakage could be very costly? Are they fragile? Are they robust? Should it be in a glass cage? Do they need to be in a climate controlled environment? Do they really work? Which of model of them is the most collectible? Why? Why? Why? How many Relums or Gamos could I buy for price of a good Service Mk2?

Best regards to all......
    Silly boy you can not compare Relums and Gamo, to Webley mk 2 sevice just look at the history of them they are superb well made rifles in three main series although they go up abit higher.A collectors dream to a good many but some people would disagree, every one to his or her
    own preference.

Totally agree with the o.p. comments but Relum? Even I wouldn't stoop so low as to do that comparison.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

They were streets ahead of their time,a claimed effective range of eighty yards for example .

Very overrated and over priced...

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Very overrated and over priced...
    How very dare you.

I saw the Webley Service for the first time last year on a UTube and it immediately went on my bucket list. Everything I love, blued steel, totally unique, looks to have great machining quality, quirky, lots of moving parts, nice wood stock. Don't really care if it's accurate. It checks every collecting box. Except in the US is fairly non obtainium. So you that have them near, don't hesitate!

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I saw the Webley Service for the first time last year on a UTube and it immediately went on my bucket list. Everything I love, blued steel, totally unique, looks to have great machining quality, quirky, lots of moving parts, nice wood stock. Don't really care if it's accurate. It checks every collecting box. Except in the US is fairly non obtainium. So you that have them near, don't hesitate!

Here yer go

http://www.network54.com/Forum/68145...87/Mk2+Service

Save your $$$ and just look at them here

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    How very dare you.
    That was quick

OK...OK...OK....not Relums or Gamos, I will wash my mouth out. Not wishing to upset our close collector community, Airsporters then.

Hello,

If you are serious about acquiring one of these fine old air rifles, you would be well advised to obtain a copy of Chris Thrale's excellent Webley Air Rifles 1925-2005 book which fully describes all the Webley air rifles made during the period including the Mk2 Service.

Briefly though, there were three series of Mk2 Service rifles with the first having a strong spring to secure the removable barrel and an aperture sight mounted to the side of the breech block. The second series retained the side mounted aperture sight, but replaced the barrel retaining spring with a much neater button release. The third series replaced the side mounted aperture sight with a larger version mounted centrally on the breech block. The first two series were in .177 and .22 calibre only with the third series adding the larger .25 calibre towards the end of manufacture in 1939.

If I didn't intend to shoot the rifle all that much, I would go for the rarer first or second series, but if regular use is on the cards you would be better off opting for a third series example. Both the first and second series attract a higher price due to their relative rarity, but you should be able to pick-up a reasonable third series in .177 or .22 calibre for £400 - £500. You can add another £150 - £200 for a .25 calibre Mk2 due to it's comparative rarity. Rifles with barrels having Ser Nos which match that on the rifle itself are also more sought after by collectors and the Holy Grail for Mk2 Service aficionados is a cased set containing all three calibre barrels together with the correct accessories.

The main attraction for me are it's quirky looks and solid engineering, particularly the ability to interchange barrels and the neat way the bolt pulls the breech washer into battery when the bolt is closed forming a really tight seal. All three versions are accurate at the intended ranges, but not nearly as powerful as early Webley publicity would have us believe.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Brian

Thumbs up

My Grail was the model before the Service, I was lucky enough to buy a mk1 Webley with all the etching still in good order, I have a couple of copies of the L Wesley book, Had one copy since I was around 12yo, (1970!!) and at the time, Thought i'd collect one of each of the guns in there, I thought the mk1 and mk2 Webbo's would be the most difficult but I found them easily (And cheaply!!) but some of the others, I've never seen them in reality!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Many thanks Brian for such informative reply and to all contributors....

The temptation is now on Red Alert Category....... The Service certainly stands out and has a certain masculine character about it. Whereas those Relums, Gamos and Airsporters look the same and pale into insignificance.....

Best regards

Its not desireable.
    Its subjective.
    I own many webleys but wouldnt want a Service.
    It ug-leeeeeeeeee
    ATB,
    yana

Oh no Yana, are you sure?...Does this mean my Red Alert needs to recategorised to Grey? And, I was just getting excited too......

Will update later......