Thread: Was the Haenel 28-R the first repeating air pistol? I assume not?

Was the Haenel 28-R the first repeating air pistol? I assume not?

Since Schmeisser never seemed to patent his repeating mechanism I would assume the idea was used before?

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Since Schmeisser never seemed to patent his repeating mechanism I would assume the idea was used before?
    In fact Schmeisser's Haenel 28R was the first repeating spring air pistol to be introduced, around 1928. Although repeating air rifles were well known by then, there did not seem to have been much appetite for developing corresponding pistols, and it was Schmeisser who first realised that this was a niche market he could tap into. I don't know of any earlier air rifles using his rising block / concentric magazine concept, so why he did not patent the design is a mystery.

That is interesting. Schmeisser during his career certainly used patents to protect his work, hard to believe its an oversite. Wonder if there is a patent in Germany of something that maybe never became a marketable pistol but prevented him from pursuing a patent? Maybe the idea was not his but someone at Haenel? Haenel, a major arms manufacturer may not have thought a niche airgun patent cost effective. In the end that is probably true? Only built 3200 pistols and no one duplicated it.
    Last edited by 45flint; 19-02-2017 at 02:25 PM.