Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Maintenance, Servicing and is Silicone Oil good or bad?

Maintenance, Servicing and is Silicone Oil good or bad?

Servicing: What is involved in a service by a manufacturer/Air gun repair agent? and how often should it be done?

Maintenance: I have been told to wipe Silicone oil over the metal and wood parts of my guns to keep them free moving and free from corrosion and rust. I was also told in one RFD to not bother doing anything to my pistols. is this correct?

BUT this is printed in my BSA ultra instructions.... (see middle paragraph)

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...217_163422.jpg

no silicone oil on metal to metal parts . it will seize them.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....L-DAMAGE-Part2

Quote Originally Posted by Missed_dinner View Post
    Servicing: What is involved in a service by a manufacturer/Air gun repair agent? and how often should it be done?

Maintenance: I have been told to wipe Silicone oil over the metal and wood parts of my guns to keep them free moving and free from corrosion and rust. I was also told in one RFD to not bother doing anything to my pistols. is this correct?

BUT this is printed in my BSA ultra instructions.... (see middle paragraph)

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...217_163422.jpg
    I would never use slicone oil - even externally. Too much risk of it getting between metal to metal contact areas and causing galling. Don't ask me how I know. BSA are correct.

Ballistol, used sparingl, is a much better choice for use pretty much all over. I wouldn't use it (or anything else not recommended by the manufacturers) on the internals of a PCP, though.

Personally I would not let anyone else service my guns a) on price and b) because I wouldn't trust anyone else with my pride and joy. Depends what type/make of gun, of course.
    Last edited by Airsporter1st; 17-02-2017 at 05:27 PM.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    I would never use slicone oil - even externally. Too much risk of it getting between metal to metal contact areas and causing galling. Don't ask me how I know. BSA are correct.

Ballistol, used sparingl, is a much better choice for use pretty much all over. I wouldn't use it (or anything else not recommended by the manufacturers) on the internals of a PCP, though.

Personally I would not let anyone else service my guns a) on price and b) because I wouldn't trust anyone else with my pride and joy. Depends what type/make of gun, of course.
    Browning Legia is also good for wood and metal! Also nearly twice as much in the tin for the same money

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    no silicone oil on metal to metal parts . it will seize them.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....L-DAMAGE-Part2
    A old myth

Silicone is NOT for metal to metal BUT

To say it locks up a gun in a few shots is a myth Steve Pope says to use it for fitting piston seals in his instructions.

Also check this video out does this gun look like it's locking up this gun solid ( I dont recomend though )
    https://youtu.be/rL4ukRx1Omo?t=356
    close the little add so you can read the secret formula

Silicone oil should only be used by those who understand it as it is not for metal to metal

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    A old myth

Silicone is NOT for metal to metal BUT

To say it locks up a gun in a few shots is a myth Steve Pope says to use it for fitting piston seals in his instructions.

Also check this video out does this gun look like it's locking up this gun solid ( I dont recomend though )
    https://youtu.be/rL4ukRx1Omo?t=356
    close the little add so you can read the secret formula

Silicone oil should only be used by those who understand it as it is not for metal to metal
    I disagree. A true story and no myth: Many years ago, I bought a brand new HW35 from MAG, together with a bottle of silicone oil, which was recommended for wiping on the stock and action. In my excitement, I didn't listen and I subsequently used the oil on the breech pivot, amongst other places.

I took the gun out and within 20 or so shots, noted tge gun was becoming progressively harder to cock, to the point that the application of any more force would have bent the barrel.

I took the gun back to MAG and they diagnosed the problem immediately, stripping the gun to show me the severely galled shims and breech block. Needless to say, they quite rightly voided the warranty, but they did give me two new shims FOC. I took the gun home and polished the galling out of the breech block, reassembling with moly grease and it was as good as new.

That's why I've never used silicone oil since - even on 'O' rings.

P.S. in the write-up below the video he says that only the elastomeric seal touches the cylinder walls. Thus he is not using his concoction for metal to metal contact, which is where pure silicone oil and/or grease causes problems. There are mamy superior greases, e.g. Krytox, which can be used on elastomers and metal to metal. Why take the chance?
    Last edited by Airsporter1st; 17-02-2017 at 07:50 PM.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    ...Why take the chance?
    Sums it up nicely.
    If the anti-silicon crowd is wrong, you just use another lube and no harm is done - if the pro-silicon crowd is wrong then your gun could be destroyed beyond repair.
    Good deals with these members

Well, I DO use silicone oil and have used it for donkeys' years on the externals and wood.

Obviously, I'm wary of the pitfalls, so use it very carefully and sparingly. I've had some of my guns for 35+ years and they look as good as new.

And, yes, a big "No, no" for metal to metal.

I do appreciate that lubes like Ballistol etc may be just as good for protection and without the potential risks and may certainly try it sometime (who knows, I might even switch then?), but so far, silicone, sensibly used, has served me and my guns well.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Well, I DO use silicone oil and have used it for donkeys' years on the externals and wood.

Obviously, I'm wary of the pitfalls, so use it very carefully and sparingly. I've had some of my guns for 35+ years and they look as good as new.

And, yes, a big "No, no" for metal to metal.

I do appreciate that lubes like Ballistol etc may be just as good for protection and without the potential risks and may certainly try it sometime (who knows, I might even switch then?), but so far, silicone, sensibly used, has served me and my guns well.
    I think 'sensibly used' is the operative phrase, Tony, but once bitten......

I guarantee you'd grow to love the smell of Ballistol
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.

What the hell is Silicone Oil anyway?

I've Googled it and it appears to be used in a lot of beauty products, as hydraulic fluid and other weird stuff.

It appears to be kind of a "Not really an oil" kind of oil.

Why would you want to use that?

I use moly grease or motorcycle chain lube for springs and pistons and motor oil or 3-in-1 type oil on external pivots.

Never seen the need for anything else.

Sure it's silicon oil I must not use inside the internals of one of my pcp Guns .

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    I disagree. A true story and no myth: Many years ago, I bought a brand new HW35 from MAG, together with a bottle of silicone oil, which was recommended for wiping on the stock and action. In my excitement, I didn't listen and I subsequently used the oil on the breech pivot, amongst other places.

I took the gun out and within 20 or so shots, noted tge gun was becoming progressively harder to cock, to the point that the application of any more force would have bent the barrel.

I took the gun back to MAG and they diagnosed the problem immediately, stripping the gun to show me the severely galled shims and breech block. Needless to say, they quite rightly voided the warranty, but they did give me two new shims FOC. I took the gun home and polished the galling out of the breech block, reassembling with moly grease and it was as good as new.

That's why I've never used silicone oil since - even on 'O' rings.

P.S. in the write-up below the video he says that only the elastomeric seal touches the cylinder walls. Thus he is not using his concoction for metal to metal contact, which is where pure silicone oil and/or grease causes problems. There are mamy superior greases, e.g. Krytox, which can be used on elastomers and metal to metal. Why take the chance?
    I actually agree with most of your post but the myth that I am talking about is that silicone oil will seize a gun solid after just a few shots caused by just a few drops of silicone oil then contaminating the rest of the metal, after you changed the shims in your 35 and polished out the galing regreased it was OK. If a little silicone got mixed in with moly you wouldnt know any difference.
    BTW have another look at the video at all that silicone oil and grease being pushed into the cylinder.

Dont forget when Ben Taylor was dripping silicone into his gun all those years ago he didn't understand what it was for, I bet he does now though LOL

Just keep the silicon oil for the bedroom......

I think if you have some silicone on a rag and you want to bring up a sheen then it's not going to be a problem. Yes there are other products but like most of us, we use what's there at the time. I certainly wouldn't use motor oil on a rag to wipe the action as it stinks and is full of toxins... I don't really want that on my hands or face.
    For oring assembly as mentioned... good old vaseline does the job... that's what we used in the aircraft industry when I was there. It was called petrolatum but it was the same thing.
    It's easy to get wrapped up in looking at all these new fangled potions with cool names and exuberant prices... let's not forget that man has been successfully lubricating machines since before the industrial revolution! There's cheap and plentiful options out there that do the job as good as if not better than new wonder lubes all nicely packaged fir the gun market
    Donald

I guarantee you'd grow to love the smell of Ballistol
    And you're very possibly right, Paul.

I will try some, honest!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!